What is living in Tunisia REALLY like?

When in rome do as the romans do

Hello Margaret..
I am from the US and have been here for 3 months. I think most will agree the job market here is not the best at present and even if you find work salaries are not great. But the cost of living here is much less so that's a plus. Coming from LA it will be such a change but sometimes change is good, it was for me. Good luck 👍

you just have to bring money

Hi .
So did you move to Tunisia ?
If you did tell how's it going .
Thanks

living in tunisia is really nice if u have money. many nice spots in north and south and west.
but to have a job here and make a family is hard

Where are you in Tunisia?  My husband is in Ez Zahra and I love it there.  Never had an issue with anyone treating me bad.  They actually take pitty on me because I don't speak the language and help me out. 

Tanya

Hello
I'm looking for English teacher offers training in English
are you interested by teaching ?
Miriam

For a short visit its ok. But for long living NO and NEVER.

Med ali 713 wrote:

For a short visit its ok. But for long living NO and NEVER.

I am interested as to why you say that?  I have lived in Tunisia for many years and I like my life.  I live on local currency, I spend very little, I have many friends.  It is very easy to get around the country with local transport and the food is fresh and great.  The winter is not too great but the summer lasts a long time and the best time is Ramadan.

It is not about the money or having a friends roaming around etc.
I just gave my advise to raleen, she is Canadian and married with tunisian and now her husband missing his family.....
Before he don't?  There is a reason.....

Living with financially and moraly corrupt people. It's hard for a lady who comes from developed world and coming to a 4th or 5th world.

You are aceptional case I must say so.. :)

Med ali 713 wrote:

I just gave my advise to raleen, she is Canadian and married with tunisian and now her husband missing his family.....

Living with financially and moraly corrupt people. It's hard for a lady who comes from developed world and coming to a 4th or 5th world.

Medi - I don't think I am the exception.  Every culture is difficult in the beginning and you have to try hard to understand it.  I come from a 1st world country and if you think there are not financially or morally corrupt people in the first world you are crazy,  It may even be worse in the first world!!! I am happy here and I live within the society, the culture and the language but I made it a mission to understand and to accept.  I think that's the difference.

Med ali 713 wrote:

Oh and yes, I do agree that there is a reason, but I guess we know perhaps what that is???  If her husband is with her in Canada as you say, what is there to miss!  Maybe he should save up and get a ticket for both of them to visit the family for a nice vacation

What became of your situation??...Have the same problem!!! :(

Well that depends on your habits . And if you have kids or not . Kids things yes yes yes bring any and all things . Children items are very expensive and can break the bank . If you are a creature of habit such as a Certain kind of coffee then bring that until you get used to other kinds that are available here . So that you wont be so home sick . The first year is hard it gets easier after that but slowly .

I agree long term it is difficult but it depends on the person mentality and how much are they willing to sacrifice . I am a convert Muslim and I found not only difficult but also over bearing . Moving back to the states this year hopefully if everything's goes according to plan . The place is beautiful but socially is a problem . I am greatful my kids don't understand Tunisian dialect with all the cussing . Chicago is a much easier place to raise my children . So back I go

Sure for free( I don't need the money

Olivier

Personally to me I am used to being stared at anyway.  Me and two of my kids have red hair naturally and I am always dyeing it a different color and by that I mean blue, purple, green...  so the staring I am used to anyway and so are my kids....  it kinda comes with the territory when you are a red head.  LOL

hatemloup wrote:

living in tunisia is really nice if u have money. many nice spots in north and south and west.
but to have a job here and make a family is hard

Hatemloup

From Tunisia to Tinbuktu, it is the same if you have flouse. But you can make a home in a land where even a small amount of money talks but in England The money the every day person has no longer talks it just goes without saying

Hi Realeen

I'm Tunisian originally lived between US / Dubai past 17 years ,
I hear you G ,  I can see where you coming from lol
Look , definitely we are not Canada / USA and the truth we are not even closer ....lol
But living here can be really good , it depends how do you look at it and how open to others will you be Weather here is amazing , living-cost  is nothing to compare with what's over there ,
For the job It can be very challenging , yet it depends of what you do ....but trust me  it's not possible if you know where to dig ,maybe the pay can be very low if you look at what ppl are earning in Canada , but remember it's cheaper her ...

I don't know where will you be based in Tunisia , But if you will be in Tunis ( Capital) take a look at some good area here like La Marsa / Gammarth ...Carthage or sidibou , generally many expats are there .
As a society and flexibility .... I think we are fine comparing to M-east countries or even 2 next doors .
You will see a bit of everything :))
Eventually try to pick some French here , it will help you a lot to filter into the society and be able to communicate with Ppl at least family members , you will be fine , no worries
By the way don't be scared from Ppl shouting on you , they are not fighting with you they are just loud :))
If you need any support , pls feel free

Best regards

I am American  I want to move and live in Tunisia  what do I have to do so I can live there

Donnaandhichem wrote:

I am American  I want to move and live in Tunisia  what do I have to do so I can live there

By your name I think you are married to a Tunisian?  If so it is very easy for you.  Just come, register with the police take your carte de sejour and you become a permanent resident.  That's all you need to do.

I'm not against being optimistic
But I'm giving my opinion through my personal life experiences
Tell me what do you think abt getting
250 EUR as salary
And paying 120 as monthly rental.
And spending 120 for food
My question is would you enjoy yourself and buying clothes and buy médecines if you get sick and save money for travel and ..  and ... And...
With only 10 EUR?

Hi Donna ,

If you are married to Tunisian man , it shouldn't be a prob , you will need guys just to approach the INS department here for adjusting your status ( carte de sejour = Green card ) ,
If you are not married and you want to stay in Tunis , I think you are allowed for 90day's only , in a meanwhile you can always submit a request for carte de sejour , based on your plans here whether Job / starting a business / buying property ....

Best regards

hatemloup wrote:

I'm not against being optimistic
But I'm giving my opinion through my personal life experiences
Tell me what do you think abt getting
250 EUR as salary
And paying 120 as monthly rental.
And spending 120 for food
My question is would you enjoy yourself and buying clothes and buy médecines if you get sick and save money for travel and ..  and ... And...
With only 10 EUR?

No - your life will not be good.

I just came across this forum and I am amazed by the amount of people wanting to move to Tunisia while the majority of the young generation wants to flee the country.
I am not trying to discourage anyone to live there. It is actually a very special country to live in. Over 3000 years of history, culture and customs.
It is just that the actual situation with the "Arab Spring" as they call it, the political and economical changes that make the future over there uncertain.
If you stick the the coastal line, it should be agreeable, with the beach in the summer, the food and the weather. You can then explore more inwards after you feel comfortable.
You can live on as low as $250/month if you are frugal, but if you are making $1000 a month or more, life is going to be fun over there.
I recommend for the native English speakers, to try to teach or help with the English language. Due to the decline of France's influence, there is now, a huge demand on the English language because it helps in landing a good job in Europe, the Golf or in the U.S / Canada for the high number of I.T engineers, technicians, etc...
I believe your experience will highly depend on the neighborhood where you are going to live. If you live in the "banlieue" of Tunis such as La Marsa or Sidi Bousaid, then you will feel very comfortable and will have no problem integrating. People from these coastal suburbs have seen foreigners landing over their areas for a few thousand years now, so they are very open to different cultures...
If you move into a small town or village down south for example, then you will meet a different kind of people. A little more conservative with may be some things that you will not like, but with an unmatched generosity and kindness.
I'd say DO IT. Life gets more interesting with different experiences. Try it and if it doesn't work for you, then there always be a way to leave.

I assume you have visited and know that people drive like maniacs!  I grew up in Chicago and refuse to even try to drive here!  Standards of living vary largely on income.  Even in “ nice “ areas like where we live, it's still dirty .  Quality of food is sad, clothing prices are insane.  A basic pair of Levi's cost around 250 Tunisian Dinar.  In America, they are like $45 or less.  Owning pets are expensive because they are viewed as a luxury.  It's a lot to adjust to really .

Tunisia?
I always said that to live in Tunisia you must get paid from another country and in this situation it's a really good country.
Otherwise if you work in this country and you get paid from a job in here then you committed a suicide attempt.
Because?
Because the salary range and the prices range are too differents things.
you plan to get married and have kids???
You joke?
In one word :  TADA ....... Be careful
if you are rich then Tunisia is a Paradise. Otherwise god bless you.

Salaam and hello,

I know this is a very old thread, however, I will share my experiences for those who have a similar curiousity.

Like my bio says, been married with a Tunisia for over 12 years and we have a family. Currently in Seattle WA. Great place, friendly and accepting enough (I wear a hijab) anyway why would I still long to go to Tunis??

So, first time I visited, my first child was an infant and we came in the summer for the first two months which included Ramadan and lots of beaches! It was wonderful, I was younger obviously only one kid...liked it for a vacation wanted to go home though! And it wasn't in our plans to stay at that time...

Second time, I came after the birth of my second child, stayed one year. I might add I came 3 months before the “revolution” and my husband was out of the country in India for work!! So I was with my two kids and of course in laws during all that chaos and change, and wallahi, I swear I never felt unsafe!   Growing up in the USA even the best of places I felt safe in Tunis! The people are great. No people are perfect, Tunisians can be rough and opinionated but they mostly have hearts of pure gold. There are shifty people yes, there are “bad” people yes. But no more than any other place on this earth. Just choose your surroundings wisely as you would anywhere....

Listen, the economical concern is a valid cristicism of moving to Tunis. If you are unsure of how you will earn an income, it will be terrible. You must make plans for that but I will say it is much more affordable than the West.

I live in Seattle, sure it's great, but it's incredibly expensive! We have saved and saved but still cannot afford the hefty price tag of a home for my family of $800,000 lol! It would be crazy to enter into that kind of agreement even if you could with a $3500 mortgage payment even if Islamic financing! Anyway, people like me have been saving and can justify moving to tunis and doing something creative. If that's an option for you my most important advice: think in Tunisian currency not American or whatever your currency :) ohhh $1 is 2.5 dinars wow this is cheap!!! No no no, you have to adjust yourself accordingly or you will go broke...now if you do not have money saved up for this plan, you need to look at your assets and use them. Can you teach English? Can you send some cool goods into tunis that would sell? Tunisians love to shop. Like all people. You just have to be creative and take a chance. Well you would have to be this kind of person to even consider such a decision!

I must add, Tunisians can naturally be either optimistic or perhaps negative and unsatisfied with the direction and status of the country. You have to see this as an opportunity. And the way I see it what's the worst that could happen, you could go home. But this is how I look at life, it may not work for everyone. Obviously. And I respect the opinions of others. There's no convincing one way or another. You just have to look at your individual situation and your habits, etc etc etc.

I have very deep and personal reasons for wanting to move to tunis. It's heavy for my kids, but I know if I am happy they follow behind bc the are all 9 and under! Schooling and education is big for me. But again, how you approach learning will be an influence....anyway good thoughts and I hope any of you find the answers you're looking for!

Peace ✌️

Preach the truth girl!
Right on!

May not be your intention but you are belittling an entire nation from experience that extends from plastic surgery vacation stay.

Listen, when you visit a new place you have venture outside the touristic places and appreciate what there is to offer. Certainly there are flilthy places in Canada and America. I live in Seattle, one of the wealthier cities in America and you find people addicted to drugs lying about the parks, people who live in there cars, there are deep dark secrets of tent cities where there's an entire community of people who live in tents fit for recreational camping here in Seattle! Across the street from
Microsoft, amazon, and countless other tech giants! You can see the tents from the freeway!

There are poor, disadvantaged people everywhere for a plethora of reasons.. yes there is a garbage problem in Tunisia, but compared to Canada and USA there operations for waste disposal are behind they don't value the work as something worthwhile! I grew up in ARizona and a friend of mines father made of $80,000 per year (in the 2000s) for a job as director of waste and sanitation! These jobs pay well and are valued and appreciated by all Americans. Tunis could help by finding a way to elevate these types of positions within local government (adding to a long list of demands 😁) and I must mention we pay about $40 per month for garbage services, do people pay anything in Tunis?

Sooooo, my long winded point, where ever your travels take you have an open heart, embrace something new and different, surely every place can improve with effort, patience, and time!

Tunisia is not for everyone but it's great for some. I advise all people moving here to bring food 😂 clothes from the frip are cheap and plentiful just bring your own socks and underpants.  Pack anything you love to eat because chances are you won't find it here 😉

Hi Guys n Gals. Is obtaining  residency in Tunisia straight forward? Costly?

Hey Omar

Actually it's not really expensive , It should be around 150~200 TND more or less
However the process can take some time , and getting a residence should be based on :
Tunisian relatives ( Spouse , children ...) or a business activity , own a property ...

Br

What Walid said is correct . Mine was cheap and easy enough.  Nothing in Tunisia moves quickly . If you are here, you already know that well enough 😂

Thank you Walid. Very helpful reply.
You said it takes time. What does one do in the meantime? Would I have to leave the country and reenter? As an EU citizen no visa is required of me. Does that make the process easier?

I don't have any family connection to Tunisia, nor will I buy property, so I guess it's business. I do have Chinese investor contacts, looking for Real Estate, so that might be the avenue for me.
Thanks again my friend. 😊

Thanks LGhaz, very encouraged to learn that. I really don't expect things to move fast anywhere outside the northern hemisphere.
Even there, things have slowed down in recent years. I dont much mind tho. As a retiree I've got lots of time on my hands. 😀

Omar Bockman wrote:

Thanks LGhaz, very encouraged to learn that. I really don't expect things to move fast anywhere outside the northern hemisphere.
Even there, things have slowed down in recent years. I dont much mind tho. As a retiree I've got lots of time on my hands. 😀

Hello, if you're retired and getting an income through this you can apply for a carte de sejour with a proof of income (how much that should be depends on where you want to live). I suggest you go to Tunisia for a long vacation and find out where you want to settle and go to the office for getting this carte de sejour to get all the specific info you need. Good luck!

Thanks a bundle Marthe! Yes I do receive a pension on a monthly basis. Doesn't get me far in Europe, but I imagine $1000+ is considered an above average income in Tunisia.  :)

Omar Bockman wrote:

Thanks a bundle Marthe! Yes I do receive a pension on a monthly basis. Doesn't get me far in Europe, but I imagine $1000+ is considered an above average income in Tunisia.  :)

oh yes you could definitely ask a carte de séjour with that and have a very comfortable life with it in Tunisia, plus you could move, live that comfortable life and start searching for activities and business opportunities ! Please let me know how it goes once you have decided to move :) I love hearing experiences from others! I am moving myself in about 2,5 weeks and super excited!

Thanks again Marthe. So you're not actually living in Tunisia yet? Must say you've done your research well then. Sounds promising. :)
Tunisia is also close enough, to Europe, to make visiting both ways very easy. I have family in Sweden, and like to keep in touch with them and visit at least once a year.