Close
Follow all our news on Facebook!

What is living in Tunisia REALLY like?

When in rome do as the romans do

Hello Margaret..
I am from the US and have been here for 3 months. I think most will agree the job market here is not the best at present and even if you find work salaries are not great. But the cost of living here is much less so that's a plus. Coming from LA it will be such a change but sometimes change is good, it was for me. Good luck 👍

you just have to bring money

Hi .
So did you move to Tunisia ?
If you did tell how's it going .
Thanks

living in tunisia is really nice if u have money. many nice spots in north and south and west.
but to have a job here and make a family is hard

Where are you in Tunisia?  My husband is in Ez Zahra and I love it there.  Never had an issue with anyone treating me bad.  They actually take pitty on me because I don't speak the language and help me out. 

Tanya

Hello
I'm looking for English teacher offers training in English
are you interested by teaching ?
Miriam

For a short visit its ok. But for long living NO and NEVER.

Med ali 713 :

For a short visit its ok. But for long living NO and NEVER.

I am interested as to why you say that?  I have lived in Tunisia for many years and I like my life.  I live on local currency, I spend very little, I have many friends.  It is very easy to get around the country with local transport and the food is fresh and great.  The winter is not too great but the summer lasts a long time and the best time is Ramadan.

It is not about the money or having a friends roaming around etc.
I just gave my advise to raleen, she is Canadian and married with tunisian and now her husband missing his family.....
Before he don't?  There is a reason.....

Living with financially and moraly corrupt people. It's hard for a lady who comes from developed world and coming to a 4th or 5th world.

You are aceptional case I must say so.. :)

Med ali 713 :

I just gave my advise to raleen, she is Canadian and married with tunisian and now her husband missing his family.....

Living with financially and moraly corrupt people. It's hard for a lady who comes from developed world and coming to a 4th or 5th world.

Medi - I don't think I am the exception.  Every culture is difficult in the beginning and you have to try hard to understand it.  I come from a 1st world country and if you think there are not financially or morally corrupt people in the first world you are crazy,  It may even be worse in the first world!!! I am happy here and I live within the society, the culture and the language but I made it a mission to understand and to accept.  I think that's the difference.

Med ali 713 :

Oh and yes, I do agree that there is a reason, but I guess we know perhaps what that is???  If her husband is with her in Canada as you say, what is there to miss!  Maybe he should save up and get a ticket for both of them to visit the family for a nice vacation

What became of your situation??...Have the same problem!!! :(

Well that depends on your habits . And if you have kids or not . Kids things yes yes yes bring any and all things . Children items are very expensive and can break the bank . If you are a creature of habit such as a Certain kind of coffee then bring that until you get used to other kinds that are available here . So that you wont be so home sick . The first year is hard it gets easier after that but slowly .

I agree long term it is difficult but it depends on the person mentality and how much are they willing to sacrifice . I am a convert Muslim and I found not only difficult but also over bearing . Moving back to the states this year hopefully if everything's goes according to plan . The place is beautiful but socially is a problem . I am greatful my kids don't understand Tunisian dialect with all the cussing . Chicago is a much easier place to raise my children . So back I go

Sure for free( I don't need the money

Olivier

Personally to me I am used to being stared at anyway.  Me and two of my kids have red hair naturally and I am always dyeing it a different color and by that I mean blue, purple, green...  so the staring I am used to anyway and so are my kids....  it kinda comes with the territory when you are a red head.  LOL

Expatriate health insurance in Tunis

Free advice and quotation service to choose an expat health insurance in Tunis

Moving to Tunis

Find tips from professionals about moving to Tunis

Travel insurance in Tunis

Enjoy stress-free travel to Tunis

Flights to Tunis

Find the best prices for your flight tickets to Tunis