Information on Doha

Hello All,

I am an American thinking about taking a job in Doha for about 1 year. I am looking for general information on such things as food choices, recreation, communications (cell phone, new plans needed?)and just the general feeling of being an American in Qatar.

Thanks for any info,

Ray

Not quite sure what you want - prices? availability?

Basically anything you can shed some light on. Will my current cell phone (iPhone 5 on AT&T) work over there or will I need to change plans/providers? What options are there for eating, a lot of choices? What are prices like?

Hi Ray. I'm in the same boat. My company offered me a 1.5 year assignment In Doha starting in June and I'm currently working out the details with HR. Good luck!
-Rob

Thanks Rob. Please keep me informed on anything you think I might find useful, and any hiccups you run into.....

Ray

Yes your phone will work - but you will pay international roaming charges - better to pay the phone out so it is unlocked by apple and you can then get a local SIM card pretty cheap - google qtel for the costs of their packages.

Plenty of restaurants covering just about all types of food - from expensive to cheap in price - for one person - anything from QR20 - 300 for the meal soft drinks included - add extra if at a hotel and you have alcohol prices vary but QR120-150 for a bottle of wine would be average.

Thanks for the information. I am still gathering info to make my decision, so anything you can add would be great. One big question I do have, is how are Americans received over there?

DsrtStrmr wrote:

. Will my current cell phone (iPhone 5 on AT&T)

if it is unlocked it 'll work

Plenty of americans here as well as a very large expat community so I would say OK - don't know too many americans personally so can't say with total assurance, but Brits /Australian / European are treated OK, but no one is treated as well as a 'local' in this case a Qatari citizen!

Hi All,
Well, if you want to know more information about Qatar there is a famous local website for expats in Qatar which contains updated Local and international News, markets, shopping, economics
I am afraid if I write down the website the Admin will block me:)
so I need to take his/her permission 1st:)