Why the blood test for a working visa?

I smoked a joint about three weeks ago with a French tourist and heard that thc stays in your blood for a month.  I just had my blood tested, and not for HIV, like other countries screen for.  Why do they take a blood test here?  Naive Duane

It is part of the medical check up for your work permit. Also Vietnamese people are obliged to take such a test when signing a new contract

Are they testing for drugs...because I may have some thc in my system.  And would that ruin my getting my health clearance and not getting a work permit?  Thanks, Duane

At least you don't have submit a stool sample like I had to do for Saudi Arabia work visa

Hi Duane, Don't worry they are not testing for drugs. I know a fair few regular smokers who have been through the process and passed the medical without issues.

Thanks for the reassurance. Duane

laidbackfreak wrote:

Hi Duane, Don't worry they are not testing for drugs. I know a fair few regular smokers who have been through the process and passed the medical without issues.

So what are they testing for?

HIV and other communicable diseases

VungTauDon wrote:

HIV and other communicable diseases

Thanks for your reply. I should have ask also "why?"

Cos if you have HIV, then what? They don't give you the visa?

I've never been asked for such a test for any kind of visa.

He used the phrase work visa when he should have said work permit. Most countries require a medical with blood test for getting a work permit. The US tests for HIV  and syphilis

duanef, duanef, duanef still smoking rope at your age and don't know the score? Tsk, Tsk, any way don't sweat the blood test they won't waste it looking for thc, now the urine sample you might have gave is another story....

Oh damn....I also gave a urine test, but the night before I put tablespoons of garlic in my noodles, and garlic is supposed to be a great body cleanser....
-naive duane

Did you end up getting busted? Going for mine tomorrow

It's extremely unwise to have anything to do with illegal  drugs in South East Asia.

If you can't leave the stuff alone, don't visit any of the countries in this region or accept you might do some prison time ... or get killed.

Tom manning wrote:

Tom, I have a feeling that the OP won't be replying, this thread is 3 years old,lol. :)

colinoscapee wrote:
Tom manning wrote:

Tom, I have a feeling that the OP won't be replying, this thread is 3 years old,lol. :)

Might be the blond locks, but...
                                                   ..S/he is such a caring person...     :proud

I looked over my old physical.  There were some tests for things like glucose level but they couldn't be disqualifying unless they felt you were a total wreck.  For communicable diseases, I see VDRL (syphylis), HBsAg (test for active Hep B only), plasmodium (malaria) and HIV. There is also a chest X-ray presumably for tuberculosis.  There is an albumin test which is for liver function and could be another test for hepatitis.  There are also tests for  CTM and KST but I have no idea what they are.

The CTM test is for 'Circulating Tumour Microemboli'  and KST is for Tetanus

(according to my medical dictionary)

Moderated by Priscilla 7 years ago
Reason : inappropriate advice

I recently went to a place called International SOS Vietnam to get a health check to obtain my work permit.  I got the results back a few days ago, but did not see that they tested for any type of STD?  Not sure if I'm reading it right, but among the 40 or so lines of results from my blood test, I do not see VDRL, HIV, HBsAg, etc.  I see the other things that people have mentioned above.  What am I missing?  The packet with the results has a stamp in the back that says that I am fit enough to work (in Vietnamese) with the doctor's stamp/signature.

Garlic effect on masking THC is a myth.
read about beating drugs test in google...

h

@vwjac

Hi vwjac, and welcome to expat.com.

If by "visa", you are referring to an eVisa (30 day, tourist), then no, there is no medical test requirement.

If you mean "work visa", please see this recent thread (link).

Again, welcome to expat.com

Hello everyone,

All questions should be posted in a new thread on the Vietnam forum, please as this thread is quite old.

Thank you,

Cheryl

Expat.com team

[Thread closed]

Closed