Current Security Situation in Egypt

Hey Folks

I will be traveling back to Egypt soon was wondering if someone can tell me the current political / security situation of Egypt ? Between I always travel outside home with bag pack having my notebook  a DSLR Camera and couple of lenses that I can not afford loosing of course !

Is it safe still to carry  them anywhere outside ? I heard laptop snatching is getting common these days ...is that true?

Over all how is the security situation over the street ?

Thanks in advance

the siyuation is fine but if you are worried i recommend you would move around woth someone this will make you feel peace and secure

Where in Egypt are you going?

well I live in Giza and mostly I move between Giza and Maadi. I do not own a car and Im  mostly using either Bus/Taxi or Metro

I guess you will be ok as long as you stay away from Downtown.

Take care when you are travelling around with expensive cameras and equipment and a laptop
if they are obviously on display then you will become a target - especially in unknown axi's and microbuses unfortunately.

the security now is not what it used to be

Thanks biffy for ringing the bells ...I think I need to be careful !!

You'd better leave any equipment you can't lose at home. It's very risky to go with anything of worth. I even leave my watch at home when I go somewhere I'm not entirely sure about. Just in case.

Hanging out with local friend is a must, I once got ripped off in Ahram night club with my Chinese friends but no locals...

longyoung wrote:

Hanging out with local friend is a must, I once got ripped off in Ahram night club with my Chinese friends but no locals...

What do you mean by got ripped off?

basicus wrote:
longyoung wrote:

We simply ordered beer and snacks...and they asked for 800 LE per person, they hardly speak english and we very much regret this unplanned entry.

longyoung wrote:
basicus wrote:
longyoung wrote:

We simply ordered beer and snacks...and they asked for 800 LE per person, they hardly speak english and we very much regret this unplanned entry.

Did you pay them 800 then? Did they try to force you to pay this amount?

lol ...that reminds me I paid 400 LE for horse ride at Giza Pyramids :D ...and guy was asking me to pay more BAKSHISH of 100 LE on top of that ... some time same shit happens when you are traveling in Taxi ...once they find you cant speak arabic they start asking for more money.... What I do in such situation is I get angry and raise my voice that actually makes them a little afraid that I am not an easy prey for them !

** sorry for typo if any on touch scr ***