Finding a job in software engineering

So I have just returned from the holidays in Brazil and I am considering moving to sao paulo to work and live. I have a PhD in Computer sciences, 5 years work experience and am 29 years old guy for Slovenia (Europe, EU). Where is the best place to look for a job online? How do I apply for work visa?

recently I read that Brazil needs a lot of software engineers, especially highly educated ones, and that the government provides privileged rules when assigning visa. is his true and where can I find more info on it?

Hi milankoko,

While the rules for obtaining a VITEM-V work visa are the same for everyone you will have a much easier time finding a job as a foreigner if you are experienced and educated in any of the STEM (science, technology, engineering and mathematics) fields.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

thanks! ok, but do you have any idea where the best place to find a job online is for brazil? I am a complete newbie and do not speak Portuguese yet.

Actually, trying to find a job here online is almost impossible. The easiest way of finding work in Brazil is to contact multinational companies in your own country which have operations here in Brazil and find out if they have any vacancies here. If they can't actually help you with placement here, they most likely can at least put you in touch with the right people in their HR department here. We have all the biggies here, IBM, HP, Google, TIVIT.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

Hi milankoko,

I am in a similar situation as you.  I'm a software consultant with over 13 years experience.  If you find any resources, I'd love to hear about them.

no luck so far. even when I look at linkedin for example, I see no jobs in brazil. the resources are practically nonexistent, and I have no idea where to look.

I'm running into the same problem.  I am sending information out to companies directly as well as recruiting agencies. 

I decided to target international companies who also have offices in my own country, Canada.  However, I will likely do this in more detail when I am back in Canada. 

I did receive a well intentioned email that one company here in Brazil told me that they were impressed with my qualifications, but did not have any opportunities for me. 

For me, I am going to learn portuguese.  Another option that I am exploring is to get remote contract work from a Canadian company and do most of the work in Brazil remotely. 

I am also trying to find English friendly business networking events to attend and meet people in the tech community.  Also, I'd like to speak at a couple of tech conferences this year in Brazil, but I still have to do some research to find the events available. 

I need to find some work soon though, as I am seeing first hand what happens to your savings after 4 months in Brazil without an income.  Not a complaint, as I chose this - but I still see some turbulence ahead, but I am confident.