Wanting to move to Paris - Advice Please!!

My story is that I am a nineteen-year-old living in the U.S. but wanting more than anything to be in Paris. There is only one question, though - how do I get there? There are however, many answers to this question which is why I need help. I am currently a broke French major at university with absolutely no job (not even close), I just feel like I need to get up, go out there, and pursue my dream. I know it might sound a little crazy at the moment with me not even having graduated from college yet, but any advice that anyone has for me would be greatly appreciated :)

Hello Ensoleillement (very nice nickname by the way)!
I thought Id share a thought regarding your question: as an english spoken native, you could maybe apply for a job as an English assistant in high school or primary school.
You can as well apply as a waitress in english -american or australian pubs, there are loads in Paris and the community is helpful. You can as well try to go for "au pair", helping kids learning english, there are lots of wealthy families wanting their children to learn english from a native. You live with them and are fed.
I'd add that theres nothing "wrong" to make that move, I myself wanted to live in the States and work there to really experience the country and the culture, I ended up working there for 3 months in Florida and that was the best experience of my life!Great memories, great friends I made! My friends thought I was crazy, glad I am I made the move and went there.
I wish you the best. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me through here

Thank you so much for your advice! I guess the main thing that I'm worried about is whether or not it would be wise of me to pretty much drop out of school and move to Paris...

Hi,

Why don't you apply to a French university? I really do not think that it is a good long term strategy to stop your studies.

Paris will still be standing 2-3 years from now and you can come for the summer and try to get some job in the tourism industry.

Good luck to you!!

First thing, check the visa requirements - as an American national you cannot just move to France. You can get a tourist  visa, but cannot work  - here is the relevant extract from the Expat.com article at: https://www.expat.com/en/guide/europe/f … rance.html

Information designed for nationals from outside the EU-EEA:

Given the high unemployment rate in France, the French government seeks to preserve its national labour market from foreign workers. Therefore, finding a job in France is  rather difficult for non-French or non-European citizens. As far as employment regulations on the French labour market are concerned, priority is given to French nationals, then to European nationals. However, since France has to solve manpower shortages in several key sectors of its economy, non-European workers are often welcome.

How to obtain a work permit?

First of all, foreign workers must be in possession of valid job offers from French companies. A temporary employment contract must be signed.

Then, the employer in France must initiate the work permit application process as follow: etc

Getting a job as an au pair/live in nanny is not a problem for someone under the age of 26. 

You can read about the "Nanny Visa" here... (technically it's not a nanny visa but this is the process)

http://www.consulfrance-washington.org/ … article405

If this is something you really want to do, do the research, find a family to hire you and go for it...

Unemployment in France is high, but that's more for permanent jobs that pay well.

Another resource to check out is katiaandkyliemac.com
One of them is an au pair who is studying at a university as well.

Hope it helps,
Suzanne
How to Deal with Being an Expat...and Enjoy it!