Looking for good hiking trails near Belo Horizonte...

Hello - I am looking for some decent and somewhat challenging hiking trails around Belo Horizionte.  I'm not afraid to hike up the large hills in Minas.  I'd love to find some decent trails where I can spend an afternoon hiking for 3 or 4 hours.  Combined with some spectacular views would be a bonus, or some water falls to cool off.

Any recommendations?

Hi,

Sorry that I can't personally answer your question with any good information about hiking trails.  [Moderated: No free ad pls]
Best,
Maxine

Hi!

I've been told that you should be careful in some areas about hiking alone, but I do have a couple of suggestions. BH opened a park that runs along the top of the Serra do Corral at the end of last year. You can sign up to hike it with a guide--and the views are supposed to be spectacular. There are also a lot of trails in the Lavras Novas area, although again, I've been told that it's best to go with a guide.

There are a couple of stores in BH that sell hiking and camping gear, including Trilhas de Minas on Av. Contorno, Nerea in Ancheita, and Adrena. They may be able to offer advice, although I haven't had great luck in getting good information from them.

I hope others respond to your note, as I'd love to know myself! We have a dog and would love to take him out on hikes.

Best,
Jen