Moving to Middle East and Jordan

Hi everybody,

I would like to move to Middle East and looking for the best place.
My purpose is studying levantine arabic in Lebanon and modern standard arabic in Jordan or in Yemen but this last country is so unsafe with kiddnaping that probably Jordan would be the best option. Then I would like to work in Jordan and think to live there. I have been working as as travel agent in my country for more than 20 years. Could you tell me if if is not too hard to find a job in Jordan. I am also looking for a place in Middle East where it is easy to have new friends and where people are opened mind. I am a woman. Is Jordan as much as expensive than Lebanon ?

Well I also would be interested to live in Lebanon but I heard that it is not easy to find a job. So I am wondering about the best place.
Is lebanese dialect understood in Jordan ?
What is the average to live in Amman per month in $ ? I do not look for a high stantard but to live normally, and go out for dinner time to time.

So all your comments will be appreciated.:)

Lebanon is much better than Jordan... but why would you leave Switzerland to live in Middle East?????

I heard lots of times that Jordan is the most safe and political stable land to live in. Also for single women.
Jordan is also an expensive country to live in but if you have an average lifstyle you can survive here ;)
The average income for a family is between 300-500 JD per month but there also families who have less.

For jobseeking it depends what you want to do for work but you need two things to succeed: the arabic lanuage and network.

You ask about the Middle East and people with opened mind, some how it seems to me that these two things don't match.

I do know nothing about Libanon but maybe you can ask your questions on the Libanon forum as well, if you didn't already done it.

MSA arabic you can learn everywhere.
Me, myself and I learn arabic at the University of Jordan.
I like it very much to study and is not easy but not very difficult too. It depends how much time you will put into the study. I heard form several international students that the best place to study arabic is in Damascus.
But not on this moment.

I hope this will help you.

Good luck with your search.

Thank you Primadonna for your answer.:)

yes I want to learn MSA of course and this is one of my purpose to move to Middle East but as we taught me it is necessary to read newspapers but with people you do not speak it . Probably in Jordan you must learn the dialect of the country in order to communicate with people.
I am wondering if the dialect is very different of lebanese.

I have been working as a travel agent in my country but I would like to focus on a job which I can use and practise english and arabic. Also french is my native language so perhaps it would help me in tourism.
What about the health insurance in Jordan how does it work ? and when you are retired is there a system where your firm participate of your pension ? I would be interested to know more about that.

Thank you again for your help.

MSA is spoken trough the whole arabic world, and it is spoken at the tv and written in the newspapers, books, poems etc. This is different then the local arabic. Everbody can understand you but when you ask a question in standard arabic you can be sure that you get a answer in the local language in the country where you are. It is also a language for the more "high educated" and " higher social class" if you allowd me to use these terms.
There are many words which is standard and local as well, sometimes it is only the pronunciation is a little bit different.

My husband is working in the tourism as a tour guide but these days (and last year too)is not enough work due the situation in Syria and the financial crisis in Europe.
To work in this field is not a guarantee that you get a regular income.

When you have work you can apply for a health insurrance and when you worked enough years you can get also your pension.

Well, from the safe point of view, it is Jordan. No discussion at all. The negative side, would be that the culture is more closed than in Lebanon.

Lebanon is almost like an living in southern Europe in the 60's or 70's. So it would be more tolerable for a European more than Jordan. Their weak points are: insecurity, crime and their Arabic pronunciation is bad. Although their accent is adorable compared to other Arabic accent.

I would suggest if you choose Jordan, that you choose Amman to live it. Western Amman, mainly Jordan University, would be a nice calm place to live in. Its modern and quite liberal.