Opening a bank account in Bangkok

Dear Friends,
I am going to open a bank account in Bangkok after getting my work permit in order to increase the amount of my cash money. Which accounts would you recommend? Which accounts would receive higher bank interest?

Hi

Sounds like you have found a job then. Is it teaching? What visa are you on?

Opening a bank account is easy enough, you will need to show your visa in your passport. Don't expect much interest on your savings though since there are restrictions on what type of account you can open.

You may need to visit several banks before you find one that will open an account for you.

Thetefldon.  You make this site decent suddenly thank you for great answers and patience for novice questions ........on banking I opened a bank acct with Kasikornbank bank passport and visa stamp with 4 fays left and they opened the acct and were VERY NICE   Others not so helpfull

Hi everyone,

I plan on moving to bkk before the end of this year. I will be on a retirement visa. I will most likely open a bank account with Kasikornbank for my everyday use but I don't want to put all of my savings in a Thai bank so i am looking for an international bank to put the remainder of my money so that I will be able to use it internationally but at the same time be able to walk into their branch and deposit money and stuff. So they must also be in bkk. So my questions are: If I use Citibank Thailand, will I be able to walk into any Citibank let's say in Europe and do my stuff or am I limited to Thailand? I know this sounds stupid but I need to be sure.

Will I be able to get a credit card with Kasikornbank? I hear that foreigners cannot have a Thai credit card but then again would I need one, the debit card should be sufficient?

Same question for Citibank Thailand about the credit card, being Citibank even in Thailand, do they have the same restrictions?

Finally, what's this I hear about getting your money out of Thailand being difficult? Is it true?

Thanks for your help, cheers!

Sahar2020 wrote:

Dear Friends,
I am going to open a bank account in Bangkok after getting my work permit in order to increase the amount of my cash money. Which accounts would you recommend? Which accounts would receive higher bank interest?

Foreigners don't get paid interest on bank acounts usually. At least not at Kasikorn Bank. Kasikorn is looked at one of the best banks though & also good for foreigners & Thais.

Another thing to note is that they charge you to get an ATM card here which is crazy! Back home everyone gets issued with a free ATM card.

JimboAsia wrote:

Will I be able to get a credit card with Kasikornbank? I hear that foreigners cannot have a Thai credit card but then again would I need one, the debit card should be sufficient?

Yes you can. They will try to sell this to you for 800 baht, which gives you 1% back on purchases when you use it. But it's not a true credit card as it' really just a debit card using money from your account. I don't thin foreigners can really get a true credit card as back home.

sydney_boy wrote:
Sahar2020 wrote:

Dear Friends,

Foreigners don't get paid interest on bank acounts usually. At least not at Kasikorn Bank. Kasikorn is looked at one of the best banks though & also good for foreigners & Thais.

Another thing to note is that they charge you to get an ATM card here which is crazy! Back home everyone gets issued with a free ATM card.

Not true. I get interest on my account with Bangkok Bank, not a lot but its still interest.

thetefldon wrote:

Not true. I get interest on my account with Bangkok Bank, not a lot but its still interest.

I guess Kasikorn is different then :(

sydney_boy wrote:
JimboAsia wrote:

Yes you can. They will try to sell this to you for 800 baht, which gives you 1% back on purchases when you use it. But it's not a true credit card as it' really just a debit card using money from your account. I don't thin foreigners can really get a true credit card as back home.

Foreigners can get credit cards here. You need a work permit or perhaps a retirement visa. I have a Thai American Express Platinum.