General tips

I am thinking of moving to Rabat. I have worked abroad for many years but have never been to Morocco. Any general tips: cost of living, what constitutes a good salary, good night spots etc.

Hello lion66.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

A new thread has been created from your message on the Rabat forum.

Do not hesitate to go through the other threads on the Rabat forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi lion,

moving to Rabat sounds great, but the cost of living depense on your living style.. here are people who live with 5000 dh per month, and others with 50.000 dh... feel free to inbox me 4 any q.

Hi Joe,

thanks for getting back. Yeah u r definitely right and I guess that could be said for many cities and places. My home country, the UK, is generally expensive but it's possible to live cheaply if u have local knowledge and can find out the dos and donts regarding living expenses.

The job I would be taking starts end of September and is offering 14,000 Net but I would have to get rent and everything from that. I've done a bit of general research on the net and this figure seems to be seen as an OK salary for a single guy. I certainly intend to travel within Morocco and go out at least a couple of times a week to medium priced restaurants. How long have u lived in Rabat?

Hi Lion,

Well I live now roundabout 2 years in Rabat,
when you complain the cities Rabat and Marrakesch are the expensives ones.
but with 14.000 dŽs you can live a good life.
When you decide to live the "european standart" its here very expensive, like shopping some EU stuff.
when you decide to rent a car it cost a lot.. otherwise taking taxi every day, like I do, will also be a part of your cost.

So you need to watch out your App is not soooo far from your work, or you rent a car, but that is expensive.

PN me for any questions if you like
best
Joe