Muta stamp on the front page of my passport/ divorce

I over stayed my tourist visa by a year and a half  back in 06 and they put it on the first page opposite my information. would this stop me from ever getting a visa to enter Brazil? The fine is paid.
I am also married to a brazilian (got married in brazil and i live in the states now) but sadly we decided to end it a few years ago. we don't know what to do about getting a divorce. any ideas?

Hi and welcome to Expat.com jojodahobo!

I hope the other forum members will be able to help you out.

Regards
Armand

Hi Jojo,

As long as you paid the fine for the overstay there should be absolutely no problem obtaining a new visa. Overstay is considered in administrative infraction not an immigrations offense. If you haven't paid the fine you will need to do so upon arrival (this appears to be linked to passport number, so if you're using a new passport then may not need to pay).

Regarding divorce first of all to give you advice would need to know if you married here in Brazil or in the USA, second regime de separação de bens, are you separated judicially or simply de facto, plus length of time of separation.

There are two ways of getting divorced in Brazil. Judicial divorces done in court - generally because there is some dispute over property, custody of minor children or their support. This takes ages and costs a great deal of money.

The second is divorce in the cartório (best done in the same cartório where the marriage took place, but not necessary). This is fast and inexpensive, requires only ONE lawyer who can represent both parties. It is for cases where the both parties are in agreement, there are no property issues or they've already been settled, there are no minor children or all issues of custody, support and access have already been agreed upon.

If you wish to PM me for more information and give more details please feel free.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team