Marriage and the wedding party.

Greetings, I am a 53 year old man from the USA.  I have been bouncing around Vietnam, Lao, and Thailand since October. Life has a funny way of changing us.  My girlfriend wanted a Wedding Party, but is in no hurry for the real wedding.  We had the wedding party in January, other than the money I feel very ok with this. Now the question I have is there any benefit from being legally married in Vietnam? I enjoy traveling so visa runs are not an issue.  I am retired, so no income tax issues. Naturally, if we have children I will register them with the embassy.  Anyone else thought about this?

May be having a legal wedding in Vietnam will help with any official paperwork you might have to fill in sometime in the future.
Could be a way to get a long term visa for Vietnam. As good as visa runs are, there may come a time when the authorities question why you are going in and out all the time.

Thanks for the information, I spent 2 weeks in Vientiane and really enjoyed being there. As for the wedding, I am lazy in regards to doing it.  Apparently there are some hoops to jump through and I am just looking for an easier way.  Wonder how hard it would be to marry her in Lao or Cambodia?

i am at the final stage for our wedding and it was not bad or difficult to do the papers and the little other things. mostly waiting. So in my eyes it looks like you just do not want to take the time or to do it. my last step is having the party and the final papers so I can live here.  Just saying

His girlfriend said she was in no hurry to get married, so not sure how you came to the conclusion he doesn't want to do the paperwork.Being married doesn't give you any benefits here,just a VEC, which you still have to get stamped every three months.

Update: Ended up getting married in Bangkok August 25th, so much easier than Vietnam. Wife took her single eligibility document from her hometown to Viet embassy in BKK and recieve document allowing her to marry in Thailand on a Friday. For some reason this took all day. Monday at 8am I went to US embassy and by noon we were legally married and had everything translated. Took 6 days to get the 5 year visa excemption.

ancientpathos wrote:

Update: Ended up getting married in Bangkok August 25th, so much easier than Vietnam.

Now you will have to take the marriage certificate to the Thai Consulate in HCM (77 Tran Quoc Thao Street, Quan 3, Ho Chi Minh City) get it certified by them then to the Public Notary and then VietNam will accept you are married.

If you have children, getting them registered with VietNam FIRST, then (AFTER VN REGISTRATION and PASSPORT) get them registered with US. Do it the other way and you will be doing border runs for junior as well.

Vietnamese like big wedding parties. To save money and hassles you can buy sets of wedding dinner photographs, they will airbrush you and yours in to them. Good enough to persuade any Immigration person you were married.

BTW, you might not have been able to get married in Cambodia, there is an upper age limit (to prevent dirty old men marrying child brides).

where can you get the wedding pics? and do you know the cost?

Billafish2 wrote:

where can you get the wedding pics? and do you know the cost?

In HCM - they are appreciated by Immigration officers who know VNese love multi-table celebrations. Persuades these I.O.'s it was a marriage made in heaven.

As for the cost - it depends what you want. A year or so ago it was VND1,500,000 including the labour for Photoshop. Many of the 'wedding photograph' studios can arrange it.

You will need a few dummy wedding invitations printed, too, and a copy of a marriage announcement in a newspaper.

Ha ha ha , gotta love this joint. 

Fake wedding party......             check
Fake  photos................            .check
Fake  invites.                            check
Fake Newspaper add.              check

She said she loves me.            Check ?????

Personally I don't believe in marriage here, even though  It's the National sport.  I like the communal vibe of this communist idea.  I'm really starting to "get it" .   Why not share your love around.  Don't be greedy and try and keep one all to yourself.   

Pathos, there's still time for you to be saved . Keep away from that notary office. Technically your still a free man. Become a party boy. .....why buy a cow, when milks so cheap.

Yogi007 wrote:

why buy a cow, when milks so cheap.

Why you don't believe in people, if you want they trust you ;)?
Still I remember your story. I never forget when I read others' story :D. I always think you are happy with your choice.
Negative thinking will make you tired first...

These days I am really disappointed with some my male friends, but still I believe if I am a good person, I will meet the good one, and vice versa.

ngattt wrote:
Yogi007 wrote:

Still I remember your story. I never forget when I read others' story :D. I always think you are happy with your choice.

These days I am really disappointed with some my male friends, but still I believe if I am a good person, I will meet the good one, and vice versa.

I'm sure you will one day.

(Moderated: no free ads please + register your business in the business directory)

ngattt wrote:
Yogi007 wrote:

Hi Ngatt,
I'm just calling it as I see it.     
I've been to a lot of weddings here and ALL but one have been total train wrecks. 

If in doubt , just stay friends.   Keeps everyone happy.

And NO , I don't trust people who tell me they love me when they are 25 and I'm 55.   Especially when they've only known me a few days, and that's the only 3 words in English they know.
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to come to that conclusion.

I hope you find a partner your happy with, you sound like a nice person.

Take care and I appreciate your comments.

colinoscapee wrote:

I'm sure you will one day.

Not about love, just friend... but still it made me sad  :joking:. Women is so complicated, right :D?

1. When I knew my friend unfriend me on a social network, I don't know the reason. I never bother him. I didn't have time to update my profile there. He talked to me sometimes, and then, disappear and didn't say anything, it's ok, I would think he had some problems and he didn't want to be my friend. But I doubt, if I respect him always, is wrong? Or if he is a good person like I always thought... Why some men always act like a kid?

2. When I knew my close friend introduced to me a married man. Very long time ago, but some days ago, when I knew, I was really angry because I trusted my friend always... Everything is ok now when I know everything, they seperated. But I doubt everything, every man I know :D. It seems I don't want to trust any man. When someone flirts me, whether Vietnamese or foreigner, I doubt: if he is still get married? Poor me :D.

... something like that :D.

I am easy to believe people, but when I know someone cheat me, just one time, I never trust again... Life is so complicated to me, hic hic.

Yogi007 wrote:

And NO , I don't trust people who tell me they love me when they are 25 and I'm 55.   Especially when they've only known me a few days, and that's the only 3 words in English they know.
You don't have to be a rocket scientist to come to that conclusion.
I hope you find a partner your happy with, you sound like a nice person.
Take care and I appreciate your comments.

Ah yeah, I understand. I doubt too :D, but sometimes, love is blind, we don't know why we love someone, even we know, if we love her/him, we will have a hard life...
But, sure, I know, you are foreigner, you are a goal of many girls here ;). So, be careful always, you will be fine. But I think you are always fine, because when I read some your posts, I know you are not easy to be cheated :D.
Take care and enjoy your stays here.

BTW, I don't know if I am a nice person or not :D. I am quite good at writing, don't believe anything here :D.

Women complicated? Nah.......
http://d.justpo.st/images/2014/10/2d9e0781a06b33263ce263508a71edf7.jpg

Hihi, thanks Matt for real picture :D.
Welcome back to 4rum!

Thank you 3 t's  ;)

Let me just say HONG KONG. The regulations for Thailand were bizarre and would have cost me thousands of Dollars just to produce one unimportant document. It was great in HKG. But one needs 2 witnesses.