Retiring in Malaysia Question

Hello all,

I am 33 and looking to retire.  I have a steady income of about 1000 US dollars a month with some well off savings.  I have mostly been looking to Belize in Central America until I came across Kuching, Malaysia. 

1) So far im reading I can just stay there on a passport for as long as I want.  Can anyone confirm this? 

2) Would I have any issues using my bank card with their ATM's...I hear capitol one does not charge international fees...I plan on switching to this bank.

3) Does anyone think living off  $1000 a month would be a problem there?  I am a simple person and have hobbies that are dirt cheap.

4)  I have heard there are several expats there and many people speak english...any confirmation?

Thanks for the answers lads...hope to see some of you there!

I guess you are a US citizen, I'm not 100% sure here because i got a bit confused after reading the information from the following 2 gov't sites:

Immigration:
http://www.imi.gov.my/index.php/en/main … by-country

Doesn't mention US under the "no visa required for less than 90 days", but rather as "no visa required". Which sounds a little too good to be true to me, that you could just stay as long as you like.

Ministry of foreign affairs however say 90 days for US citizens:
http://www.kln.gov.my/web/guest/require … -foreigner

From my own experience I got a 90 days tourist visa when i first arrived in KL but only a 30 day visa when went to Borneo. Even though I already had a 2 years employment pass for peninsular Malaysia at that time.

I used my (non-Malaysian bank) visa and mastercard (debit) here and never had any problem with that, however if you were to settle down for years to come why not open a local bank account. Sounds more convenient to me.

I'm no expert on Kuching since i never lived there but of course it is cheaper than KL. I searched for some condo now in Kuching and the cheapest i found was RM1300 monthly (minimum 1y contract), probably you can negotiate that to RM1100-1200 if you sign up for a 2+ years contract to begin with.

That's 1/3 of the budget, then comes the rest. Electricity, TV, Internet, transportation, entertainment, food, etc. I don't think it's possible on that budget. But I don't mind if you prove me wrong.

Thx for the reply farm...I forgot to mention yes I was a US citizen...(we tend to do that when we think globally, assuming everyone knows! My bad).

Ya I thought the whole thing looked too good to be true, but according to that one site...if you are a US citizen you didnt have to get a visa...I guess I will someday hope to find work there...figured id live simple for a year or two...do some volunteer work..then hopefully transition into something.

Thanks for the answers mate.

Anyone else have any other thoughts?