Accidentally moving to Ecuador

I came to Ecuador 7 years ago on a two-month vacation having just finished my doctoral studies in New York. My plan was to visit Ecuador Peru and Bolivia in those 2 months. But here I am 7 years later with roots in Quito and Cuenca.
One day as I was walking around Quito I passed by the door of an NGO and stopped in to find out in my very rudimentary Spanish what they did there. I ended up visiting 3 indigenous communities - at the Pacific coast, in the coastal lowlands, and in the Andes. I had an amazing time living with a family in each place and getting to learn about their culture and relationship to the environment. But the NGO itself was a total disaster! It was totally broke and very disorganized. When the owner offered me the chance to try to do something with it, I figured - why not? So I started to reorganize everything, set up a Spanish school to develop an income stream, redesigned the website, and began to make things work. It was a radical learning experience, and nothing I would ever have decided to come to Ecuador to do!
But after about 18 months it got to the point where it was working in spite of the owner, rather than with his help, so at that point I decided I could do no more and was all set to continue my original journey. However, realizing that I was surrounded by goodwill and people wanting to do something positive I decided to stay and with a small group of teachers, we left and set up our own NGO and Spanish school.
That was 6 years ago now, and from our very humble and very broke beginnings we have continued to grow and develop our vision of helping indigenous and marginalized communities to develop sustainably in various parts of the country. We have also developed a top-quality Spanish school, first in Quito, and now recently opened in Cuenca.
It used to be that Ecuador, along with Latin America in general, had a dreadful reputation, and people (ask my mother!) assumed that you would be in grave danger as soon as you set foot here. North American and European press and media has long overstated the dangers, creating an exaggerated picture of revolution and chaos. I often have to comment to newly-arriving students that 99% of Ecuadorians are wonderful and friendly people, and that you just need to develop a few simple strategies for avoiding risky situations. I am happy to say that after 7 years here I have not been robbed yet, although I have come close several times!
My plan when I arrived in Ecuador was to return afterwards to live in Hawaii, where I lived previously for 3 years. But what I have found here in Ecuador is a life that is rich in ways that I could not have imagined before coming here to experience it. And while I still have the image in the back of my mind of the paradise of Hawaii, I am totally happy to be settled here in Ecuador and be able to travel to other places and return here afterwards.

now finally something that has substance...the u very much, that's exactly what I like to hear..I'm hoping I can do something to improve my quality of life n someone's life there.. got a trip planning task to complete before summer gets here to Ecuador

thx dude I hope to look u up, I need to learn Spanish..got Rosetta coming to help me this week

Great story!  I like reading stuff like this.

ecokirby:

Thank you for your positive story.

I'm moving to Ecuador to be with the Ecuadorian father of my son (who's just a toddler).  He's had to go take a job contract in Galapagos for 2 years and I will have to go and wait for him in Quito, staying with his mother in law until hopefully he can help me come with him to Galapagos or we can find some other plan.  I've been to Ecuador 3 times now and I can see both the positive and the negative things people have to say about it.  I am not in a great financial situation and my son's father is in a worse one.  But the alternative to stay in Canada another 1 or 2 years while our son continues to grow without his father is not appealing to us - it has already been an emotionally difficult and exhausting couple of years mostly apart.  So, the plan is to give it a go and hope for the best.  I have a masters degree so that should help me with employment.  I just hope I have some luck and a good experience as you have, and not a miserable experience that some others have reported.  If it was not for my son, I would have been there a long long time ago - I'm just anxious because I want to give him a good future.

Thanks again and if you have any tips for me, I would be very happy to receive them!

They say that moving house is one of the most stressful life events after the death of a loved one, and when that move involves moving to another country it can be even more stressful, even though it is something that we choose to do. Everyone reacts differently and I have seen foreigners who have moved here who externalize their anxiety by blaming everything Ecuadorian or Latin American rather than dealing with their own anxieties. Of course life here is different and the culture has different values, some of which you may find positive and others you will find frustrating. In the end it is your ability to adapt and find a way of living here on your terms that will make it a success. I am sure your son will adapt without any hitch!
Finding work here is a bit more tricky though. Many foreigners start their own businesses and there are good opportunities here. The economy is strong and unemployment is low. The middle class is thriving in Quito. Good luck!

Ecokirby:

Thank you for your positive words and encouragement! 

No kidding this has been stressful!  Stress doesn't even begin to describe this endeavor for me. However I don't want to live my life wondering what if I had... so I just want to be as prepared as I can be and keep an open mind and positive attitude ... and of course be safe.

It helps a lot to hear good words of people with experience.

best luck to you.