Mobile: internet and phone for 1 1/2 month

Hi all,

I will spend about 5 weeks in Mauritius in Feb-March.

While there, I'd like to have some pre paid mobile internet (small modem to carry around) and a phone number.

Is there anything you can recommend? I'll probably use a phone with EDGE data capability, I suppose the island is well covered and EDGE data signal should not be a problem - is this correct?

thanks

Hi,

I suggest you take an Emtel prepaid connection and go at the showroom so that they can set it up for you.

Emtel also have the Mobile broadband modem but for 5 weeks, I am not sure if it is worthwhile buying the modem as they usually have monthly subscription and you need to pay for the modem separately.  However, if your phone has 3G feature, you can use your phone for to surf the net on your laptop/pc.

Check their website

http://www.emtel-ltd.com/index.php

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Radha

Hi and thank you,

that is exactly what I did - yesterday :)

I am trying to figure out now the settings for my phone to be able to get data access. I emailed emtel today but they didn't answered yet (couldn't find any relevant information od their site either).

Emtel's USB broadband Modem is 4600 rupees. This includes the sim card. Basic plan is around 1000 rupees. Expect to pay about 6000 rupees to get the modem in your hand. I do have a three month old emtel card that I'm not using.

Emtel's USB broadband Modem is 4600 rupees. This includes the sim card. Basic plan is around 1000 rupees. Expect to pay about 6000 rupees to get the modem in your hand. I do have a three month old emtel card that I'm not using.

got mine working, it was only a matter of setting APN to web.

thank you