If I May ask...

What are the best places to visit in Luzon Island?

u should visit Naga City Bicol(bus, train, plain from Manila
stay a few days at the new SoGo visit Mt Mayon, visit CWC water park also brand new wave pool, try Pili nuts visit historical Churches, great place
Pete

blueoakey: thank! How about in Luzon Island? or Metro Manila? What are the best places to visit? Hopefully I will be there next year for 18 days to meet my Filipina fiancee .

18 days is not long. Where is she from? You should stay away from her family for the first visit. If your flying into NAIA, spend some time in Manila. From there, can go down to Batangas/Puerto Gallera for a few days, Tagaytay for a night, Subic, Bagio and maybe up to La Union. Those are within 4-5 hours by bus from MNL.

@dhnindc: thank you for the ideas :) She is from Quezon City.
"You should stay away from her family for the first visit." What do you mean?

I agree, one of the biggest problems facing expats here is GF families sponging off them, it will leave a sour taste in ur mouth
Pete

If this is the first visit, then you need time alone with her. Families in the Philippines are very tight and will put a lot of pressure on her/you as you are the rich American and would follow you around constantly and want meals, gifts, clothes, money, etc if you let them. Also, its not just the immediate family but also uncles/aunties and cousins will appear out of nowhere. Thats a bit stereotypical of me but a valid risk.

I posted in your other topic on QC.

@blueoakey @dhnindc: I see ... actually im hoping to meet her family.

Well, many expats will advise against it but its up to you. Pick a restaurant and limit it to just her parents and siblings, otherwise they will say lets do a barbecue, and can you buy a lechon, drinks, etc for 50 people.

really? any tips and advises? actually this will be the first time that i will meet her family and visit in Philippines.

Drew
we r speaking from experience here no only ourselves but every expat I know have had the same trouble with extended family
even OFW living near us are constantly harassed by their family
Pete

I would say give yourself 1-2 day by yourself to get acclimated to the Philippines. Your from Louisana so temp/humidity may be the same, but the pollution, traffic, noise, people, poverty, etc will get to you very quickly.

You will be flying into NAIA, they have airport taxis that will take you to a Makati hotel. Then you can shower, sleep, eat and be well rested before meeting her for the first time. Not good to step out of the terminal after a 16 hour flight and then meet someone for the first time and expect to strike it off well.

Anyway, I live in Manila so let me know if you have any specific questions.

Take a trip from the Manila Yacht Club out to Corregidor island, a nice boat ride and buses on the island included.  You will think it is 1945, and I am sure it will be a new experience for your GF.  I agree with the immediate family only restaurant meeting.  Take plenty of pictures and treat them with respect, then enjoy the remaining time with your GF only.  You do NOT want to spend time in Quezon City.