Possible moving to Amman for Job

Hello,

I wondered if someone could tell me about housing in Amman and the American International School. What might the cost of living there be for a 2 bedroom apartment in a nice neighborhood? Are most furnished? How easy is it to find what you need? How close is the American International School to the US Embassy?  Does one need to have a car in Amman and how easy is it to buy one?

Thanks!
CT

For info about the American International School you can find it on the internet, it is closed situated by the American Embassy.
And I get the feeling you want a apartement in the area of Abdoun because this is the area where the Embassy and the School is situated. Aboun is the most expensive part of Amman and I can't tell you how much it will cost.
There is also a Mall, the Taj Mall which you can almost find any thing what you need. Taxi's are not expensive but if you want to travel once and a while I suggest to buy a car.

Thanks for your thoughts. Do you have a child at the school. How do you like living there? What is the expat community like?

I have kids on a private arabic school, not on the American school, this is to much expensive for me.
But I know that they are good rated.
It depends what you mean with the expat community: only americans, or in my case only Dutch or you mean the whole community.

To be honest: we tried to organise some meetings with the other expats from this forum but it is not easy.
Everybody say they want to meet new people and make some friends and at the end they don't come :(

Hi,

I am not really interested in only meeting Americans - just having a community of like-minded (or non-like minded!) friends to do things with for both myself and daughter. I do have a sense of what amman is like, but when I was there in 2008, I was only there for 3 months, then 3 months in Aqaba and my daughter did not attend school - she was only 3.  I just wonder what there is to do in terms of after school activities for an 8 year old, what sort of social life there is for foreigners, etc.

How long have you been there and how do you like it?

Kind thanks for taking the time to write, I really appreciate it!

Carol

In july I am  here for 7 years and I can tell you that I have a love/hate relationship with Jordan.

For the most people life here is expensive and if you want to do some activities with your kids, is difficult too.
Till know I don't know everything what is possible to do but it turns out that you have to organise by yourself.
If your wallet is big enough then the sky is the limit.

Hi Lujo:)
We moved in Amman 2 month ago (we are Canadians),I have 3 girls.Older is 9 years ol, and also I have 3,5 years old twins.My older one is French school.For all the after school programs we  have to pay extra..As Promadonna sad life here is expensive..all the activities are price.But you can find every thing you like in Amman.If you need any help just contact me please
Kamala

What is the best moving company to use to move to Amman. ? Do you know?  I just really need to bring a few boxes..
Thanks!:)

Did you use a moving company? What do you recommend to bring? How is the weather? Sheets, conforters, blenders, iron?
Please let me know. thanks!

FYI, the name of the school isn't the American International School, it's the American Community School in Amman. A great school if you can afford it (easily the best American school in not only Amman but Jordan overall as well).