What the proceedure is for registering a car

Hi I am new to the forum and my husband and I are hoping to move to Gozo in the New Year.We are a bit worried as to what to do about our car and what the proceedure is for registering it and the cost of having it shipped over or the alternative of driving to Malta. Has anyone driven and what are the obstacles if any?

Hi Hazel, you may want to post this under a 'new topic' or under a more relevant thread? This one is about electricity consumption.
Someone may then be able to respond. In my case on Gozo, I do  not have a car as I have no need for one. Buses and taxis are far more financially viable and for our needs, being retired. I also hire a car locally for the odd times I need one.

hazel marsh wrote:

Hi I am new to the forum and my husband and I are hoping to move to Gozo in the New Year.We are a bit worried as to what to do about our car and what the proceedure is for registering it and the cost of having it shipped over or the alternative of driving to Malta. Has anyone driven and what are the obstacles if any?

Hi
   There is a lot of info regarding cars, importing and tax.
Look in the "cars and Transportation" section at the top of the page. If you want any specific info I would suggest you start a new Topic.

Terry

@ hazel marsh, a new thread has been created on Malta forum, as you were off topic on the previous one.;)

Harmonie

In any case it would be better to wait - if possible - since the Registration Tax issue is unter discussion at the moment and it's expected that the tax will go down by 30% (which can be quite a lot of money) ... but I guess nobody knows when ;)

I believe that article is wrong - its nearly 50% on the lowest emitting cars, but going up for many others, and has already happened, unless PL is planning further changes ?

http://www.timesofmalta.com/articles/vi … ued.459693

it seems all vehicles are cheaper now (and motorcycles up to 250cc are free :) ) ... backdated to November 2012 ... and will there be any changes to the road tax for new imports ?

"it seems all vehicles are cheaper now" - that article only focuses on category 5 and 6  - others went up I believe

road tax changes ? not that I'm aware of

from the budget

Euro 5 car registration tax is reduced by a maximum of 30 %

Euro 4 car registration tax is increased by an average of 10%