Retiring in Thailand

Hey guys.  My wife and I are interested in the possibilities of living in CM.  You all sound like you have some solid info.  We are not wealthy people but have decent monthly retirement income.  We'd like to live for under $2000/mo.  That should include all living expenses in a mid level one bedroom apartment and weekend partying.  We'd like to be walking distance from some nightlife and decent dining.

Does that sound feasible?  Thanks for any and all info you can provide!

Cheers!

Beamer.
Check out this website as it gives cost of living etc for many places a round the world numbeo.com

that is definitely feasible! Check out housing near the University.
Also remember to check out visa requirements at The Thai Embassy in either Los Angeles or New York, if you are in the US.
You'll enjoy this country and culture and people.

I have a house and lots of land in Thailand. With my wife. I am thinking of when I retire I have been here 5 years now in and out for visa stamps. When I tried for perm residency it is all about me. Why I want to live here how much money I have got need to see my bank accounts where is my money coming from for to support me in my retirement. Do I own any property in uk or cars  want police records finger print and so on.

Its certainly feasable but you might wish to check out the visa requirements particularly if you intend to use the "retirement extension" route i.e arrive on an O visa and extend your stay annually.

I say check because I think you will find each partner needs to prove an income of 800,000 Baht a year(various way of doing this). That equates to 65,000Baht a month each if I am correct.

You mention living on USD? 2000 a month, as I said no problem but do you have sufficient income/savings to meet visa requirement if I am correct in my reckoning regarding married couples.

Actually, we lived in Asia before and have friends in Korea and Japan.  If the Thai authorities are like the rest of Asia, we won't have a problem taking a 10 day trip to somewhere in the region every 85 days or so in order to reset our tourist visas.  Our retirement income is about 85,000 baht per month so we may not get the retirement visa.  Does that all sound reasonable from what you all know of the immigration issues?

Also, I have a friend that says we could make a good living teaching English.  We both have masters degrees from US universities.  What's the possibilities?

Beamer1234 wrote:

.... If the Thai authorities are like the rest of Asia, we won't have a problem taking a 10 day trip to somewhere in the region every 85 days or so in order to reset our tourist visas.

Hi

The Thai authorities are like the Thai authorities!

Having travelled in the region a little myself I would say that Thailand lags a bit in comparison to countries like Malaysia, Singapore and Cambodia on visa issues.

Be aware that if you choose the tourist visa route, there is a limit on how many back to back tourist visas Thai consulates/embassies in the region will issue. This would include extensions to tourist visa at Thai immigration in Thailand.

You could also explore the ED Visa which will require you enrol for a Thai language course, but its not too taxing! Something worth considering as I personally consider its essential to speak AND read Thai.

Your second post regarding Teaching:

Lot's written here and on other Thai forums. Having a masters degree would  possibly help secure a university teaching job.

Depends on:

What you majored in?

Whether you have teaching experience?

Whether you have got a TEFL/TESOL qualification?

Of course working here legally requires the relevant visa + work permit, BUT could open the door for one of you to work(with the correct documents) and the other to obtain an O visa based on their partner working in Thailand.

A bit complex to explain all the rules here but there is loads written if you Google it.

Hope that helps. Please remember to check what I said about retirement extension(whether you need two incomes)in my previous reply.

A bit more challenging than I thought it might be.  We'll do the research and find out what's possible.  Thanks much for the info!  Sorry if you've said previously, but how have you maintained your long term visa?

To answer your question about remaining here: I'm on an O visa with retirement extension,  my pensions cover the financials. So I renew my extension annually with minimum hassle at the local Thai Immigration office and report my address every 90 days by post to the same place.

Which reminds me don't forget to take into account inflation and currency exchange fluctuations if you are planning to retire anywhere. 

By way of example in 2008 my GBP bought 65 Baht it now buys around 44!! Fortunately I have thus far been able to continue my retirement despite a 33 percent drop in my spending power.

This is mainly because I do not live in the tourist traps of LOS, I can speak and read Thai and most importantly becaue the Thai economy remains stable and inflation is negligible if I avoid most imported goods.

A beer still costs about the same as it did in 2008 when I washed up on these shores dreaming of a peaceful retirement:)

Good luck with your plans and continue to garner information from folks who actually live here.

Your point to consider inflation and currency exchange is sage advice. I've witnessed many an expate land in a country and think only of the current exchange rate and obligate themselves to, say, a lease on housing, then the bottom falls out. Now there $300 a month place costs $600. The US $ many times is on the winning end. However, I've seen many a time the yankee was on the losing end. You always have great insightful post and I enjoy reading them.

Shortly after I came here the baht rose to between 52 and 54. Now it's less than 30 - not good, but again, I've been fortunate and the drop hasn't killed me. I'd obviously prefer to get more for my dollar but that's how it goes.

The retirement monies can be in a Thai bank, or simply monthly income, or combination of the two.
      No need to leave the country for visa purposes.
      Check to see if one of you could be a "dependent" of the other (no second money requirement).  In that case monies would probably be under one name.  www.thaivisa.com has info and forums and detailed info about visas and everything else.
      Teaching?  Would not count on it, but some do.  To me a slippery situation, but university usually better than other
venues.  Master's in what?
      If on retirement visa, cannot work.
      Thai language necessary?  Respectfully speaking, helpful, but from my individual point of view, not necessary.  Here 10 years.
      Great to be here.  Hope this helps.

Hey.

Visa other have speak about, only you know what option you want..

Teaching, If CM is same as rest of Thailand you have no problem get a job teach, iŽm self learn English speaker/writer and i be ask 6 or 7 time if i want to get a job and teach English, The schools/university  donŽt care about that iŽm no teacher and i have no master and so on..

Only remember not all school give work visa for teaching at there school..
Yes i know the law, but this is Thailand, and us living here, know how it is...

Thai language necessary, If you want to live in Tourist Area you can get by not know Thai, no problem.

But know some Thai open up so many more "doors" for you to learn about Thailand and Thai live.....
And if you show Thai your are trying to learn, they be so happy and i found out they want to do more for you (Me)..

And if you want to live away from the Tourist place, know some Thai is good idea, I think...

It all come down to, want you want, how you want to live, who you want in your life and so on...

I hope the best for you and the wife future, and hope you be happy here...

Hi Beamer1234,if you think about option to get 1 year ED visa by learning Thai, you should choose the credibility language school which recognized by Thai Ministry of Education and your visa issuance will go smoothly. (Moderated)

Thanks for the advice!  We've lived in Asia before and I totally agree, learning a few basics in the local language will pay huge dividends!  We will definitely try to pick up the basics if we move to Thailand.  Good to hear there are jobs if we decide to go that route.  We are interested in being able to live without working, but I think we will get bored!  Speaking of that, I'm a licensed pilot and may be interested in some recreational flying while there.  anybody aware of rental aircraft availability at CM Airport?