Where to live in Bruxelles?

Hello community,

could you please provide some feedbacks about the best neighbourhood where to live in Bruxelles (Bruxelles city, Etterbeek, Ixelles, St Gilles, Uccle...)?

I have read contradictory opinions about them (in general I have received the reccomandation to not live in Bruxelles city).

Thanks a lot!

Where is your work?
The biggest problem with Bruxelles Ville is registering which can take many months, as opposed to as little as 2 weeks elsewhere. It's not easy to live here without registration - cannot join a health insurer, cannot buy a season ticket for public transport etc.
Uccle, other than the north of the commune, is not an easy commute if you are working in the Pentagone of Bruxelles Ville or EU quarter of Bruxelles Ville.

It's really not easy to say where to live without knowing where you will work, if you are single or have family, if you are seeking a quiet suburban life, if you are seeking to live right in the middle of city life, if you are seeking cheaper places.

Hi tervurener,

thank you for your reply. You are right, I didn't give enough information about me.
My work-place is in Diegem, but I will have the car so I don't need to find an accomodation close to my workplace.
I am looking for a quiet well served residential zone (possibly close to shop, supermarkets, pharmacies, etc).Thanks a lot for the  heads-up on the registration time

of above, only Etterbeek, but Etterbeek is NOT the place to park, unless housing comes with parking, as public spaces are being reduced.

Modern and cheap and near to Diegem, EVERE, apparently around St Vincent church is on the up.

More urban, SCHAERBEEK, just be careful about exact area, some bits not so nice.

WOLUWE-ST-LAMBERT west end is similar to SCHAERBEEK south end.

WOLUWE-ST-LAMBERT east end and WOLUWE-ST-PIERRE are far more suburban, good for those wanting more green.

Not Ixelles, Uccle or St Gilles or Bruxelles Ville, former 3 would be a nightmare drive and even worse for parking than Etterbeek.

All areas suggested are good for public transport and shops and no need for a car anywhere in Brussels region. You could even use public transport for work in Diegem.

The area between Uccle a d St. Gilles (Altitude 100) is really great! Its part of the commune Forest and its calm, residential and has a lot of renting opportunities.

Near to trams 3,4 and 51 and busses 54 and 48 as well

Some of Forest is indeed very nice and also completely impractical for working in Diegem!

I have the same problem. I want to find a home next to the ulb in Ixelles, the problem is all the houses are small or too expensive.

hi guys, thanks a lot for your indications. I am currently looking for a short term flat in order to take a look in person to these neighborhoods. For the first two weeks I might stay in Avenue de Broqueville, Woluwe-Saint-Lambert or Rue Philippe Baucq, Etterbeek.
Are they both fine (I will need to take the car with me)?

thanks a lot

Both streets are fine but you might struggle to find parking and you'll have to pay. Cars and central Brussels are not a good idea.
http://www.etterbeek.irisnet.be/plans/p … nement.pdfhttp://www.woluwe1200.be/fr/cadre-de-vi … tionnementhttp://www.woluwe1200.be/fr/cadre-de-vi … nt-lambert

I would say Evere. Nice area close to OTAN, with 15-20 mins drive to Diegem. Accessiblity to STIB & D-LIJN, metro, tram lines, supermarkets, pharmacies.. The commune is also good (they speak English.. !)..

Hello there,

I would recommend  the comune Woluwe-st-Lambert between montgomery circle all the way to UCL hospital, its nice, quiet, clean, and the people at the Borough hall(comune) are very friendly and also speak english.
Driving to Diegem its only 8-10 km
Plus i almost forgot when you register in the comune you will get a permit to park in the street for free.
Registering will take 2-3 weeks because one police officer will come to your apt. to see if you really live there, they don't make exceptions even for the belgium citiziens its the law..

Best regards
Aldi

Hi guys,

Thanks a lot to everyone for the good advices. At the end the neighboor I chose is Woluwe- saint Lambert. I am living close to the commune. I really enjoy the zone and the city so far, although house hunting was harder than I thought cause prices are quite high in these zones and did not manage to find less than 900€ for two bedroom flat.

I would recommend living outside brussels in the Green Gordel as rents are affordable, places are neat and safer.

ususally, as you are rather young or single, you live in brussels, but as in every big city, it is easy to have an idea of the different area.
once you get family and want to rest it is better to go outside.
this is my opinion.
Lucia

Hi Raginbull,
                  I live in Etterbeek close to Cinquantenaire park, and I think that this is a very nice area, because it is close to Schuman, few minutes by public transportation if you want to go to the down town. The nightlife (small bars, and restaurant) ends at ~1 am. Besides, the park is like a center of activities during the summer, several celebrations take place there.

Hope this helps,
Giuliano.