Need advice about moving to belize and maybe a friend or two :)

I have added a shorter conclusion to my questions if you wish to skip the bulk of the post....at the bottom.

Well, where to start. 

I recently lost my job in the US....I have an income of 1000 us dollars a month along with much saved in the bank.  I will try to find work online making hopefully in the ball park of 800 more us dollars a month.  Together I will be trying to survive with 1 to 1.8k a month and a good chunk of change in the bank for emergencies or big ticket items etc.

Questions:

Where is an affordable place that I can live and not need a car?  I was looking at the two major Caye's and corozal as options...corozal seems to be cheaper but not sure what it would be like getting around...I would most likely buy a bike for sure.

I wouldn't mind volunteering to stay a little busy with the hopes of getting some kind of job over there.  I understand the visa process and will most likely be doing the tourist option renewing it for eternity lol.  I probably will only do a different type of visa if I can get a job.  So is anyone looking to pick up a volunteer with a possibility of hiring in me sometime in the far future?

I have never been to belize but I am a simple man requiring very little.  I would probably live pretty cheap...maybe do some of my own fishing and gardening etc.  Belize seems right for me for two reasons....they speak english which reduces the stress of learning a new language (i lived in germany back in the day, learned german) and I can stay there with nothing more than a small fee monthly and a passport.  This is highly appealing to me.

So in short where can I live for cheap and still have everything I need close to me within biking distance?  And anyone looking for volunteers in those areas with the potential of maybe someday hiring me?  Thx

Giovanni

Oh and one more thing...im 33 years of age...will I find many expats in my age range?

I wouldn't recommend Ambergris Caye in your situation.  Yes, you can live with a bicycle only, as we just did for over 1.5 years.  However, it is not an inexpensive place to live.  Even if you can find a place to rent for a few hundred US a month, groceries are expensive, as are utilities.  You might look at Punta Gorda.  If you live in town, you could probably get by with walking and a bicycle, and prices are quite a bit lower than than on the Cayes, which, being islands, everything has to come in by boat or plane, and catering to tourists keeps prices higher too.  San Ignacio also has lower prices than the Caye, but it's quite hilly so would be more challenging to manage with a bike alone, I suspect.

Mainland is definitely less expensive than Cayes.

Good luck!

thank you for the response....would you guess someone could live comfortable on 1000 us dollars a month on the main land?

TheGiovanniIncident wrote:

thank you for the response....would you guess someone could live comfortable on 1000 us dollars a month on the main land?

It would depend on you and your needs.  I am pretty sure I couldn't live "comfortably" on that.  Most of the places I've seen to rent on the mainland that I would feel comfortable in are over half that already, and then add in expenses for utilities, including internet, and food, and for me, I'd need a catastrophic health insurance plan to feel "comfortable"...it adds up.

Belize is not as inexpensive as many would have you believe unless you really are content to live like a local, eat like a local, and travel like a local.  Most expats are not, and you need to be really honest with yourself about that.  If you are, then yes, you could do it on $1000 US a month.

ok thank you deeply...I have money saved as well..and have considered some online work...but the 1000 is guarenteed...and I hope to find work there eventually as well.

Are there many expats around my age?  33

TheGiovanniIncident wrote:

Are there many expats around my age?  33

I don't know -- we lived on Ambergris Caye, where there are certainly some younger expats around but more in the retirement years like us.  Can't speak to the mainland, sorry.

ok thank you very much for the help and the conversation!