American citizen married to a Russian, who wants to get a US visa

Hi, I am an American citizen. I am in Moscow for a few short months. My boyfriend and I are about to get married as we figured it would help us be together after I have to leave here. However, we're having trouble figuring out how to get a visa. We wanted to try the K-3 visa for him, which would allow him to apply for a green card later on. However, we are not sure if I'll have to provide an affidavit of support showing I have the money to support him in America. And I don't have this. Does anyone know if we could get the visa without be proving I can support him? I mean he will be able to work in America. Does anyone know any paths we can take?

Welcome to the forum brigid92!

Hope that you'll soon be advised.;)

Harmonie

Hi
yes you are required to file an affivdavid of support , however if you dont meet the poverty level income , for 2 personne almost $19,000  or depend what State , you can however find him a third party sponsor, friend , family member or  even a friend, and you wont have any issue as long as your mariage is in god faith , Good Luck

Hi brigid92,

Yes, you will need to supply an Affidavit of Support even with the K-3 non-immigrant visa and your intended spouse will also have to meet ALL of the other requirements of the immigrant visa.

Also, don't just assume that once in the USA he will be able to work. That depends on his ability to obtain a work permit and Social Security number. I don't know if they will be easy with a K-3 visa. That's something you really want to check out right away. Given the US economy it may not be easy for him to find work anyway, you have to think 'worst case scenario' you know...

For more info on K-3 visas check the link below:

http://travel.state.gov/visa/immigrants … _2993.html

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team