Alberta Newbie Looking for Paradise

Hi, Maureen here :D I am still working and living in Calgary Alberta but am busy planning for retirement life... I am interested in Belize, Roatan, Honduras type locations because I love to dive and hate the snow! I am a postsecondary educator I am really looking forward to volunteering and sharing my knowledge in a new and exciting environment... Not even sure what is important to know about seeking property in the locations of interest, or what I need to know about taxation or other issues. I look forward to reading posts to gather information... this is going to be a fantastic journey. Cheers, Maureen :cool:

Hello Maureen

What route do you plan on flying to Honduras from ? All I can find is flights to TGU and then it looks like long bus rides to anywhere else.. ?

Try flights to Roatan, take ferry from there to mainland.

Another option from Canada is flying to Cayman Islands then take a flight right to La Ceiba.
There's a great mix now in La Ceiba of expats that I personally know from Canada, The US, Croatia, Poland, El Salvador, Chile, Israel, Australia and more. It's pretty cool when we have lobster parties together

I am from Las Vegas, Nevada, and will be flying into Roatan for the month of July. There are direct lights from Houston, Miami and I believe Atlanta now. There is a ferry that will take you on to Las Ceiba on the mainland once you are on Roatan. I will be on Roatan for the month of July and plan on visiting the mainland in La Ceiba. I plan on retiring sometime in early 2014 so this is an exploritory visit to determine where I might like to settle down and make a home base. I am interested in like minded individuals. I am 60, male and single and will be traveling alone. I have rented a two bedroom house in Sandy Bay for the month. I may take scuba lessons while there, but will definitely be snorkeling and using my metal detector to find hidden treasure, lol.

Don't forget to visit Cayos Cochinosfor a day for $35.00 USD. Great snorkeling and diving along with being a really beautiful group of islands. PM me when your coming to La Ceiba

Hi Maureen are u living already in HOnduras? I am an expat here.. just let me know...

Hi, I won't be leaving Canada for several years; heading to La ceiba / Trujillo area later this year to explore the area.

You will be off to paradise in a few weeks, have a wonderful time and best wishes on your search. Will you go to Trujillo? Cheers, Maureen

hi maureen,your best bet is to fly calgary-houston-roatan then take the ferry to la ceiba...you have to wath for the ferry because is 2 times a day roatan -la ceiba and back,you might want to check the hours.i think it's 7am and 2pm.

Hello, thanks for the tip.. I will consider ferry times, how far is it from the airport to the ferry? Is cab our best option for that transfer? M

never been there, we will go for the first time end of july,my friend was there last winter,he said something like 10 min taxi drive...check www.roatanferry.com,....pretty excited..

I am currently in Roatan now for the month of July, 2013. Arrived two days ago and still getting my bearings down. I am a male, 60 and single and looking to near term retirement. I would be happy to answer any questions one may have. I will be looking for a long term rental in the $500-700/month range and also into diving lessons while here. I am staying in Sandy Bay at the Sundancer Cabanas. Not really looking into the West End or West Bay for long term living. Want a bit more relaxed environment. Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated. Thanks and enjoy.