Moving to Beirut in April

Hi everyone!
This is my first post (of what i am sure, will be many) on this forum. I am due to be moving to Beirut in April and was wondering if you can help with a couple of questions?  Are there any things i should bring with me that i will struggle to find in Beirut (or are signifcantly more expensive in the lebanon) Also is there anything i should bring with me as presents for my new co workers that will be particularly well received? I have gathered that it is fairly westernised in terms of clothes etc, do i need to observe any particular dress codes ( i am travelling as a single women) in order to best fit in and not offend/make myself or anyone else uncomfortable? Would really appreciate your feedback - thanks!

Hey,
Nice to hear that you are preparing for a move to Beirut, have you ever visited the city? What will be bringing you to Lebanon?
Anyway, in terms of what to bring that you can't buy / is very expensive here: you can buy pretty much everything here, including British foods (Cadbury's etc) and there are clothes shops like H&M, so I wouldn't worry to much about the packing. I don't have any tips for gifts for colleagues, hope someone else can help you with that. As far as clothing is concerned - yes, the dress-code here is very Westernised but as a foreign woman you do get plenty of (friendly and harmless) attention on the street, especially if you happen to be blonde. So it could be that you will feel more comfortable covering up a bit more than you might at home, just to try to keep the honking and the stares down a bit. Make sure you are ready for hot, sticky weather but also bring a good cardigan or two because indoors it can still be very chilly, even when it is hot out.
good luck with the preparations,
Laura

Hi,
I totally agree with Lauravw - it's not as if everyone covers up here, but since there is a lot of staring at foreigners, you may feel more comfortable that way, especially at the beginning. Later you can judge better for yourself depending on the area you are in.
Regarding gifts (always difficult!) how about something like small packets of chocolates from Harrods or tins of fudge in British shapes like double-deckers etc - I know its tacky but they will be happy to have something obviously British. They tend to enjoy tasting European desserts and sweets as their own traditional sweets are quite different. Also the Lebanese are very reassured by brand names.
As for product availability, it isn't hard to live like a European here if you are willing to pay the price... (I blogged about this on gingerbeirut.com if you want to read more).
All the best in your exciting preparations!
Georgia

Thanks ladies thats great! I have never visiteed before but have a new job starting there so am very much looking forward to visiting. I'm not worried about going without British produce, have lived overseas before and half the fun is finding new local things to try instead, more a curiosity really than anything else, I love lebanese food and cant wait to experience it first hand as opposed to in london! Thansk for the advice on clothing too, not really the kind of person to flash much flesh as it is but with the heat etc definitely happier losing a few layers, i can handle the stares too but as long as i have been pre warned ( i am blonde) Present ideas were great too, i tend to opt for things like harrods/fortnum and masons but wouldnt have thought about the sweets as i know the lebanese ones are pretty celebrated, my usually ideas like tea/jams/biscuits just seem a bit pointless in taking to a country that has their own equally good alternatives!
Thank you again!

Hi,
I'm glad the info was useful. I love Lebanese desserts, but since the Lebanese do not tend to make European desserts (though you will find them in restaurants here) they go crazy over things like cheesecake, tiramisu and cupcakes. Another option, if your suitcase is already bursting, is to wait til you're here and then bake something and take it in to work.
Congrats on the job, it sounds like a great opportunity!

Georgia @ gingerbeirut.com

hi girls
i m new around beirut so i want to ask u some questions

why is so hard to find a job in beirut?i m not there yet but i want to move to beirut i visit the city and i also live in doha for couple of years but i love beirut

There are a few reasons. One difficulty is finding out about the available jobs. They may not be advertised anywhere as employers may simply ask around their family and friends and hire an acquaintance. Also the employer may well favour a friend's son over a stranger.
In addition it is not a big economy. Many Lebanese have had to move away to find work and many would come back if they could find a good enough job here.
Lebanon has plenty of good universities so lots of educated young people trying to join the job market.
Also, among the available jobs, many come with a relatively low salary compared to Dubai for example. This is in line with a lower cost of living in Lebanon. But if you are a foreigner you may be accustomed to more comfort, or you may need more money to travel abroad and see your family, for example.

I'm sure there are other factors but here are a few at least.

However, the economy keeps growing and the tourism and hospitality business is booming right now so there may be more jobs in that market. These may be easier jobs for foreigners who don't speak Arabic too.

All the best with your plans.

Georgia @ gingerbeirut.com

interested.in living in israel; and lebanon. i am curious
about rent 1 bed in the vicinity of beirut. tim

Hi Timmy1218!

You should view the link below:
https://www.expat.com/en/classifieds/mi … on/beirut/

It might help!

Regards,
Sheetul.