Working hours for engineer in construction?

Guys, just wondering what the typical working hours per week are in construction for an engineer. the offer says 6 to 6 x 5days and 6-12 x 1 day. Is this normal as I read something about a mid-day work ban? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Irish_Eng wrote:

Guys, just wondering what the typical working hours per week are in construction for an engineer. the offer says 6 to 6 x 5days and 6-12 x 1 day. Is this normal as I read something about a mid-day work ban? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Normal working hours as per law - 8 hrs / day or 40 hrs per week, and it shall not exceed 48 hrs. So some companies stretch this to be up to 48 by making them work even on Thursday.

In the construction industry, yes there is a ban but only during peak summer when the temp outside is too much to stand then the working hrs will change - if your nature of job is outside.

Ramadan - 6 hrs for Muslims and regular working hours for non-Muslims.

Rule likely to change soon - where all private sector to follow public sector working style - not in time but in no of days - to be 5.

Hope this is clear.

Hi,

HRGuru post had covered all the points (as usual), but I thought of sharing this.

I saw some contracts for people working in healthcare stating, in fine print, that he/she will have to work for 12H shifts divided into; 8h regular working hours +1h break + 3h fixed overtime.

When they recruited them, they told them that your package will be, let's say 5K for 8h working day, but we will give you 6k for the 12h and you have no saying in choosing for how long you will be working, the only option you will be having is the 12h shifts.

I remember asking if this aligned with the Saudi Labor Law and the answer I got was only by giving me THE LOOK.

Hi
we have nopt heard yet

normal are 8 to 5
Rather we are eharing 3 days off per week

thanks guys. this gives me a clearer picture.

ahmadaq wrote:

Hi,

HRGuru post had covered all the points (as usual), but I thought of sharing this.

I saw some contracts for people working in healthcare stating, in fine print, that he/she will have to work for 12H shifts divided into; 8h regular working hours +1h break + 3h fixed overtime.

When they recruited them, they told them that your package will be, let's say 5K for 8h working day, but we will give you 6k for the 12h and you have no saying in choosing for how long you will be working, the only option you will be having is the 12h shifts.

I remember asking if this aligned with the Saudi Labor Law and the answer I got was only by giving me THE LOOK.

:D you are right Ahmad, most cases this is what happens. As per law it should be as you mentioned 8 hrs + break + over time. But some companies play with this - include the break and over time into one single pay. Poor employees do not know that they are missing out on the OT pay which is some time 100% or 150% of normal pay.

But good news is pending I guess for a lot of people since a law is coming into effect soon for the working hours - at least to make it 5 days a week rather than 5.5 as practiced with some now.

Don't know what these companies think - what kind of productivity do they expect in half a day from an already unsatisfied employee.