LOOKING TO BUY A HOUSE IN BUZIOS!!!

Hi,
a friend is looking to buy a house in Buzios. It has to be in a gated condominium, with security, 2 or 3 rooms at least, very close to the beach. up to 1.200.000 reais.
-ONLY from the onwer, not real estate, don't contact please
Please let me know
Cheers
Cecilia

Hi Cecilia,

I certainly hope that both you and your friend are well aware of the considerable risks and legal problems involved in buying any kind of property in Brazil, especially for foreigners. I would highly recommend rethinking your resistance to using a realtor, since it is the seller that must pay the commission on the sale and not the buyer. I would recommend retaining your own realtor (who will end up working for you, but on a split commission payed by the seller) and also a lawyer who is knowledgeable about real estate transactions in order to protect yourself. There are many laws regarding property rights that could have disasterous results for buyers, such as squatter's rights (lei de usucapião)  laws that might even prevent one from ever occupying property they've purchased. Also, here in Brazil most debts, such as utilities, telephone, taxes, etc., all pass with the property upon transfer and you could wind up with a whole load of somebody else's debts that you will have to pay if you aren't aware they exist. Be very careful. If you need further information please PM me, but don't do anything foolish without some kind of independent legal advice.

Cheers,
William James Woodward - Brazil Animator, Expat-blog Team

hi William,
thanks for your advice but my friend is actually a real estate agent who is looking for a client so of course we would like to go straight to the owner.