Cost of living in Quito

What its the cost of living maybe in Quito for a nice,safe furnished one bedroom, lot where its the best place till live in Ecuador ? I am seeking permanent residency.Does a traffic misdemeanor hinder my self getting work in the country? Some off the best places too work,I am in the medical profession, but would like to teach English, and do I need till know Spani sh before I moved there lot can get around with little Spanish? Please answer honestly..Can you rent a.room from a honest, kind, couple before getting a apartment ? And the  price, and what does it come with and is out CLEAN?    Pls asnwer honestly..I do not know how too reach anyone at the Embsssr to help......I currently do not speak Spanish. But going too learn..Thsnk you .....What is the public transportation like?   MB
THANK YOU

Hello mbtomlin.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

For more interaction, a new thread has been created from your message on the Quito forum.

Hope you'll get some answers to your questions soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Well, cost of living depends on where and how you would like to live, if you live in Quito (south part of Quito) rents are very inexpensive but to tell you the truth I would not recommend that area, in Quito you can find one bedroom furnished for about $250, put you need to put up with traffic and pollution, if you want to live in Cumbaya or the Chillos valle is a little more expensive but on my own opinion is safer and nicer, and you can find lots of people that speaks English as well.
I need to know a little bit about yourself, I do rent a couple of rooms at my apartment (I live in Cumbaya) and also provide maid service if you like, not to expensive depends how long you would like to stay, I also have a friend in Cumbaya that rents a suite. furnished, 1 bedroom, kitchen, small living room, I think she rents for #350.00 or $400 a month is in Cumbaya also and she does speak English.
Transportation is very inexpensive here in Ecuador, you can take a bus for 0.25 cents of a dollar and if you are a senior half of that will take you to Quito.
If you want more info, please write me to [email protected]
my name is Marthy and feel free to ask any questions.

400$/month, in the centre.

200$/month, north of the old airport for a 2 bedroom. 100?/month/1 bedroom.

'nice' neighbourhood (ecuadorian standards) is El batan, El Bosque, but in all good consciousness, I cannot recommend Quito as a place to live. The air will kill you eventually. That being said, many live there and do not seem to even notice. It baffles me.

Security concerns have been largely exaggerated in my experience. Though, everyone I've meet has their own story and watch the security guards, they are the worst. Never trust them. Watch when walking on the side walks. There are holes everywhere, things to trip on, and when crossing the streets, look twice. The law says pedestrian first, but that has more to do with wishful thinking than reality here.

Public transport though abundant and cheap is often a bad experience. Drivers need to relax here, really, and LEARN HOW TO SHIFT. You better hold on and not mind being squeezed in between too many people. Personally I prefer to walk, cycle(though extremely dangerous) or take a taxi.

Hi Aureli,

Thanks so much for you kind reply do you live in Ecuador? A friend and myself are Currently living in Dallas TX in the US we are faced with severe crisis of not finding employment in the medical profession here and our luck in not good the economy is taking a toll in the medical profession. We are both highy, considering moving to Ecuador some of Mia's friends are touring the country for us in June of this year for 3 weeks researching good and safe places for us to live. We are looking at do you have to speak Spanish first to move there? I am single, no children and a US citizen well, we both are is it hard to get accepted to work or to live there? Medications we are on from some surgeries such as 1. Ativan Brand (generic) Lorozepam
2. Amiben Bran  (generic) Zolpidem
do you know if you can find these medications there? We are working with our Pharmacist here and physicans and trying to reach out emialing the manufacuture of these medications it is imperative that we cannot discontinue them due to surgeries we have been on can you help us to get in contact with a pharmacy there in Quito or somewhere ? I thank you for any information you can simply reply to assist us we have so many questions and trying to actively research and reach out to honest, people...

MB

While the cost of living is cheaper here than in the US, so are the salaries.  You can expect to earn about $600 a month teaching English at a private institute, and if you have a master's degree (in anything) you can earn more by teaching at a university, (anywhere from $800-$1200 per month) 

I do like Quito, but honestly, it's difficult to live here.  I don't have a master's degree and earn about $2.90 an hour teaching English.  Food is expensive here, transportation is cheap, and in terms of housing, you're better off going to couchsurfing and sharing an apartment in a safe neighborhood.

You can expect to pay twice as much as an Ecuadorian simply because you are a gringa- this includes housing, taxis, and anything that doesn't have a price written on it. 

Express kidnappings by taxi drivers are common here.  Pollution in Quito is pretty bad, it's not a particularly safe country, small children are taught how to steal wallets on crowded buses.

Culturally, education is not considered important, so don't expect to work with motivated or interested students.  A "good" teacher is a teacher that allows all of their students to pass the class whether or not they learn anything, (teachers just want to be liked, therefore they give the answers to tests while students are being tested and allow students to cheat). 

Don't expect to get paid on time, or the amount you were promised, or sometimes ever.  I taught at a university in Machala and when the government shut it down, for low performance rates, the university never paid the English teachers.  I've been waiting for a year for my last paycheck and I know I'll never see it.

If you can handle these problems plus: it's not customary to apologize if you accidently bump into someone or spill coffee on them, people DO NOT respect lines, they will always but in front of you, be prepared to get pushed ON and off crowded buses, and prepare yourself for sexism and sexual harrassment- it's not uncommon for your fellow employers to make sexual advances...there are no laws to protect you here. 

You don't have to speak Spanish before you arrive, but if you are living in a foreign country, it's best to study some survival Spanish before you arrive. 

I've been in Ecuador for three years, but I've never known misery, stress and hunger until I moved to Quito. Good luck.

OMG

I agree with most of what Alley says.  I'm still waiting to get paid, and I work at one of the largest, most expensive universities in Quito. That being said, I only get $400 a month.  I'm not sure where she's shopping, but I don't feel food is that expensive, as long as it's what the locals eat. 

If you're only making an Ecuadorian's salary, then the cost of living really isn't much different than the states.  I feel the expats who benefit the most from moving here are the one who are already fairly well off and then move to down here and make their savings stretch out a bit farther, or the expats I know who make 25 to 30k+ a year.  However, if you have little to no savings, and earn a normal Ecuadorian income, living here can be more frustrating than living in one's home country.  Not only will you have the normal frustrations that come with living on a meager income, but on top of that there is the frustrations that come with the adjustment to the culture and language barrier.  Also, I could never afford to fly home to see family/friends on what I'm making here.

I live within my Ecuadorian means, but fortunately I have enough savings from my former job to keep me from worrying too much about the cost of living vs. my income here. If I didn't, I would be much less happy living in Ecuador.  I love my time in Quito, and I will truly miss it when it's gone, but I understand her misery, stress, and hunger( heck, I've lost 35 pounds since I've been here.) I'm here for 2 years and then I'm moving home to the states. Having a set window of time is also stress relieving for me.  I would only choose to live here permanently if I was making a hell of a lot more money.

Sure, a one bedroom furnished will probably go for around $300-350 a month in a decent area of Quito. 

Hope that helps,

Dom
Quito Airport Suites

Hello,
I just read your post about Quito. How much money per month needed for two to live comfortably,quietly and safely? (Medical, internet,no car included.)

Thanks,

Sure, id say a nice furnished one bedroom in the nicer north of town can go for anywhere around $350-400 a month.  For a nice unfurnished place Id say aorund $250-300. 

Dom
Quito Airport Suites

Dom: "Sure, id say a nice furnished one bedroom in the nicer north of town can go for anywhere around $350-400 a month."

Bill: "Just to get a modest furnished one-bedroom in a nice area (Parque Carolina) we looked for almost a month and found one for $700."

I'll be Captain Obvious here, and point out that all estimates of what a nice apartment costs depend on the definition of nice -- which is going to vary tremendously.

I'm hoping my own definition is nearer Dom's, but we'll see.

BobH wrote:

Based on what I have read from DomŽs blog, "nice" doesnŽt  necessarily mean modern. I would assume for a San Francisco psychologist it may need to be modern.

We will look forward to BobH getting to the bottom of this with his report.

drbill7 wrote:

I'm not sure what image or beliefs you have about a "San Francisco Psychologist" but I am a man of modest means. I do insist on comfort and cleanliness but not luxury. I just like things to work and good plumbing.

Sorry, No offense intended. If you had been a Boston accountant or plumber I would have used those words.

I didn't know Dom had a blog -- I will have to check it out.

In any case, I was impressed with the 2br furnished for $430 that you showed on your Unofficial Web Page thread. Bill, you might want to take a look at that, if you're not locked in long-term on your $700 place.

Bob

drbill7 wrote:

a nice area (Parque Carolina)

Perhaps you could expand on what you consider a nice area. La Carolina is a pretty expensive area, and semi-suburban.

I pay $350 in La Mariscal, in the area between 12 de Octubre y 6 de Diciembre. The neighbourhood is a mix of mansions from the 20's and newer apartment blocks, and close to all the best cultural sites of the city. I walk around at all hours of the day and night. It's quiet and safe.

You might also want to take a walk around San Blas, between the historical center and Parque Itchimbia. Lots of beautiful colonel houses to choose from, though I'm not sure of the pricing.

Defuera: If you don't mind, what are you getting for $350 -- how big is it, furnished or not?

Based on what I've read, I think I'd like to live in Centro Historico, but I have a feeling it might be expensive. Any info?

Things are getting interesting confusing. Either Dr. Bill lives in a upscale, yuppie neighborhood, or defuera lives in a favela

Definitely not a favela. The French embassy is up the street, the Casa de Cultura another block from there. Cafe Libro is just around the corner, they have anything from poery nights to tango dancing.

The apartment is furnished with all services included. (WiFi, gas, electricity, laundry) It's not a large place, probably around 40 m2, plus the terrace. Good enough for a couple, as long as you don't have a collection of elephants or other large items.

BobH, I haven't looked at places in the Centro, except for a tiny place near the Mercado Central for $90 month. Really just a boarding room, and not on the best street. A quick look in the classifieds shows a 2 bedroom apartment in San Blas for $260, but as I said, I haven't looked at that or any other places around there. In any case, the area near the San Blas church looks really nice, closer to the mercado, no so much ...

Nards Barley wrote:
BobH wrote:

Based on what I have read from DomŽs blog, "nice" doesnŽt  necessarily mean modern. I would assume for a San Francisco psychologist it may need to be modern.

We will look forward to BobH getting to the bottom of this with his report.

Hey Nards, ever been to San Francisco?  The City has tons of charming and expensive "early 20th century" places to live that would be perfect for a "stereotypical" {whatever that is} San Francisco Psychologist to reside within.  I'm guessing that's no surprise to you, but I do reserve "the right to be wrong" ... :joking:

Carlos 

PS  Sorry for the cheap shot [i.e., the "smiley"], but I can use a "fix" now and then myself ... :D

GringoBueno wrote:

Sorry for the cheap shot [i.e., the "smiley"], but I can use a "fix" now and then myself ... :D

touché

I got a huge nice $400 3 bedroom in the Jipijapa neighborhood. I think it's a good area. I guess it's considered north central. It wasn't furnished, though.

drbill7 wrote:

This message got misplaced. It was a response to the guy talking about 3-400 homes in nice parts of Quito. Show it to me, I dare you. This is one of the promises I was told that got me to Quito. I am in a nice area, Batan, but I'm paying 750/mo., which long-time residence say is pretty normal around here. Whenever you hear "Live like a king for $600/mo. in Quito" do yourself a favor and run the other way.

Living well on $600 a month in Quito? No, Quito and most of the coast have experienced too much inflation. I just spent the weekend in the tiny town of la Merced de Buenos Aires, and $600 would more than do it there. Of course, it's 2 hours drive to the nearest pharmacy.

Celexa is available at most pharmaceutical stores.  It is available in 40 mg.   12.75 approximately.

Well, we may have to investigate another place to which to move. Both my husband and I are on a mix of weird drugs - his for COPD and heart problems, mine for rheumatoid arthritis and hypertension. If hydrocodone isn't available, I can't survive the pain. Can't get it mail-order.

I'm not going to list all our medications, but we need access to decent medical care. If I understand you correctly, this may be a major problem as well as access to reasonably priced medications.

How much for a 4 bed room house to rent?  Furnished or unfurnished?  What does it cost to live in these places?  Internet, food, electricity, water, gas, propane, misc ect?  Roughly, cause I know everyones cost of life will vary.
Thanks, we are wanting to move down with our family (3 kids and a dog) in the fall.
I'm thinking wither Quito, Cotacachi or Cuenca.  Any thoughts on these and which would be best for a family?  Also hoping to be with in 1.5 hours to airport.
Thanks

kpearson
Try this website www.numbeo.com for cost of living etc,it may help you.

I have a friend that rents a 1 bedroom apartment in Cumbaya for about $400 for this area is pretty cheap, you can live in Quito as low as $180 a month, but you need to remember all depends where at? and also low income areas are dangerous.
I can rent a room for a couple and help you look around and guide you, there was an apartment next to mine for about $300 a month, (they just rented yesterday).
I have seen lots of offerings for work as English teacher, but also I need to remind you that salaries here are not the same, also the cost of living is about 1/3 of what it is in the States,
My area Cumbaya es about 15 minutes by bus to Quito, rents are higher here but the area is safe and nice, the bus is $0.25 each way, or half of that if you guys are seniors.
I will start pretty soon a class in skype is more conversational, I speak 4 languages and I have learned just practicing and talking to people, I want to share this experience with others.
If I can be of any help on your move please let me know. If you need references I can provide as many as you want, I have helped many expats here in Ecuador with immigration papers, getting situated,opening bank accounts (translating of course) shooping, etc.etc.
Good luck and wish you nothing but the best on your move, you will not regret making this move, all you need to do is coming to this third world country with an open mind, this is not USA,you will have to adjust to it, but after a while you will not want to go back.

BUENA SUERTE
Marthy

How much to live in Quito,, is a loaded question.  I too have opinions,, and they are factual.  I lived in La Pampa (a high end neighborhood 40 minutes outside Quito) for 1500.00 this was because I had a few TV contracts to fulfill and I needed a location for the shots.  I have finished this contract and have moved to Mitad Del Mundo,, for 300.00 a month,, we have a beautiful bungalow two bedroom, two bath, and a very large yard, with pool and a huge parking area. They allow my dogs.   It has a 12 foot wall with security entrance.  We pay 9.00 for water, 12.00 for electric, and about 69.00 for food per week, and we feed 4.  We rented it unfurnished.  We bought a used refrigerator with a one year warranty for 190.00, a stove for 140.00 also with a warranty of one year we found them on a web site called Mercado Libre..we bought the most expensive thing since we moved here,, a king size memory foam bed for the same price we would have paid in the USA, 1000.00 at a matress store.  The bus stop is one block away and we have more buses available from here than in the more expensive neighborhood.  We can build a studio like we had in the other property, and we are thrilled as it is affordable, safe and convenient to shopping, malls and downtown if we feel the need for more culture.  We helped others find affordable housing,, a friend lives close to his beloved gym,, he rented for 150.00 a three bedroom townhome again with a security guard who really is good at his job.  Cumbaya has apartments for about 400.00 per month,, and it is an upscale neighborhood,, and can be very expensive depending on how much you want to pay.  We have seen people try to charge us more,, but you have a mouth,, you can say no.  The medicines are here if you are requiring narcotics,,pain relief meds,,and there are ways to get them, but it is more work.  You have to get the ecuadorian drs. to write a note for the pharmacy producers Pfizer, etc...,, you prepay at their(the drug companies) banks,, and then you take the receipt to the company and they dispense the drugs.  So it is more trouble,, and you have to need the drug that they produce.. so it is not as easy,, but it is possible.  We love Quito,, we love the city, but don't feel the need to be inner city,, we love the suburbs,,, and there are a lot of them.  We have explored the area around us and have found lots of great places that are as safe as Denver was... but again, you have a responsibility to keep an eye out here too.  We keep the taxi doors locked, we watch where we are walking, and we try to take money from ATM's in the malls.  I have visited Cuenca,, nice city, lots of people from USA and everywhere else,, nice park, beautiful countryside,, but it is cooler than Quito,, and that is where personal preferences and traveling to see what makes you happy works.  Good luck on your hunt.  If you have another questions I can help you with,, PM me.

Are you still living in Quito, would love to meet you and have some friendship, I live in Cumbaya, came to Ecuador 2 and half years ago. Love it here!

Hello everyone!
I'm shocked to see some of these posts !
I am interested in learning all I can about living in Quito again!
My daughter is currently there and I thinking of joining her!
In my opinion as all cities you have crime! When I lived there there were simply areas you avoided at night.
I'm shocked to hear English teachers are only paid $3 an hr!
I earned that when I lived there in 1998.
I do understand the cost of living changed when the dollar took over( it was sucres when I was there.)
I would like to know if anyone teaches at Benedict and if anyone lives out by the airport ( and how much they pay for a simple apt   . Ecuadorian  standard not American.