Abayas in London

Does anyone know of a good shop in London where my wife can buy an abaya before she comes over here?

Usually you can buy them from shops in Pakistani /Indian/ muslims areas of London selling traditional cloths . There was a place next to Tescos in Wimbledon but can't remember it's name .

The ones you buy from UK are usually old in styles and over priced, so another option is for you to buy her one from here and give it to her upon arrivals . Emigration people will not ask her to wear it before letting her into the country, it's only needed after leaving the airport gates .

Thanks Ahmadaq.  I wasn't sure when they had to put it on. Someone told me the ladies had to change on the plane.  Any ladies with advice please?

Arrived in Jeddah, caught a flight to final destination of Riyadh and never wore an abaya (they simply are not sold where I came from). Several other women did the same (re: walked out of the Riyadh airport without an abaya on), no one bothered anyone. Just have to wear modest clothing (long sleeved loose top and ankle length loose skirt works fine). The abaya can be purchased after arriving and settling in.

Thanks Xenolol (interesting name!).  I've sent it on to my wife.  That's been my experience of Riyadh airport.  I have seen several women standing the immigration line dressed as you describe.  However, an Australian lady who lives in Dubai insisted she always changes before the plane comes in to land at King Khalid.

Haha, thanks. Have to put my Greek lessons and Internet-speak to good use somehow. :D

There are some people who are very paranoid when it comes to this stuff. Your wife should be fine in modest clothing only. I also brought a large black shawl to drape around me and a black poncho just in case. No one said anything so I never took them out.

After arriving, I even went shopping at several malls and a souq to find an abaya (My SO was not sure which malls sold abaya) in just modest clothing and a shawl. Not something I recommend every day, but I was not bothered once. In fact, no one even gave me a second look. Or a first look. :D

Thanks.  Great advice.  I'll pass it on.
Best wishes.
Geoff

She can simply put on the abayah at the airport, dnt cause unneccesary embarassment for her, just try and get it ready and she can put it on at the airport just like ahmadaq suggested

Thanks!