Temporary residence permit

Hello!

So here is the story. |

I'm Mauritian and I'm going to South Africa in beginning of June to get married end of September to my South African fiance :).

From what I understood, I will need to go with a tourist visa for three months and then once there apply for a temporary residence permit.

What I want to know is will I be able to stay there during the process of getting the temporary residence permit even if its more than 3 months?

I read I will have one valid for one year and from then I can apply for the permanent residence permit.

REALLY need some insight !

Hoping to hear from you guys.. :) !!!

Mellisa_22

Yes, you can stay, it's just difficult to travel in and out of SA.

However the information I have is that you will only receive 30 days as a Mauritian passport holder.

Lastly, for Permanent Residency (PR) you will need to be married to your South Africa fiancé for 5 years.

Hello,

Thanks for the information. It was really helpful..!

What I still can't really figure out is whether I should apply for the temporary residence permit in Mauritius itself before going to SA or should I wait once I'm in South Africa and married.

I forgot to mention that the civil amrriage will be done much earlier, maybe one month after my arrival. That's why i wanted to do the application there after the civil marriage so that I can apply for a spousal permit rather than the life partner while being in Mauritius... I'm so confused with all of this !!!

If I do the application for the permit in Mauritius, I wouldn't be married yet so I'll have to go on a life partner permit right?

When you said it will be difficult to go in and out of South Africa, you mean it will be difficult to travel even it its to come back to Mauritius?

:mad:  !!

Hey Mellisa_22

I would enquire at the South African High Commission? My mother is Mauritian but got married in Mauritius.

Hello,

Thank you all for your help. I would like to know if I can have a 3 months visa even without a return ticket since I'm planning to stay permanently there.. once there applying for a spousal permit..

Thanks..

:)

No, you need to show a return ticket. If you don't you will be asked to pay a repatriation deposit equal to the price of the ticket, which you will only receive back when you show proof that you have returned to your country.

Oh ok !!

Thanks for the info. :)

Hello Mellisa_22.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

For more interaction and visibility, a new thread has been created from your message on the South Africa forum.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hi, you can come to SA, on a tourist visa, and once married apply for a temp res permit. Your tourist visa is renewable, so you can stay while the application is being processed. You have to stay is SA for 5 years before you can apply for permanent residence, the temp res permit is renewable every year till the application. You would qualify for a relatives permit if you are married to a SA citizen, and have the same travel rights as him/her. ie whether a visa is required for travel to another country or not.

This part is not necessarily true:

the temp res permit is renewable every year till the application.

If your temporary permit lasts only a year, which most don't, then yes, you renew yearly.

Also, most tourist visas are renewable only once.

My apologies, I was thinking in terms of a relative permit, which is renewable.