My rant about other people ranting about Vietnam.

I'm posting this message on this forum as generally it is one of the most positive areas to discuss Vietnam, a good sense of community, helpful people and information sharing.  It is going to be a bit of a rant, so please stop reading now if you don't want to hear it.

I'm absolutely sick and tired of seeing all the negativity about this country that abounds on multiple other travel websites (Virtual Tourist, Tripadvisor etc).  If you believe the things that you read on some internet fora then coming to this country will involve you getting run over, shouted out, ripped off, violent illness from street food, lack of culture, be forced to eat a god and ultimately interned for life in the Cu Chi Tunnels.  (OK – the last one was a joke). 

General note to people – Yes Vietnam is different to your country! If you are from the US and expecting to walk into a shop or a restaurant and have someone greet you with a smile and a “How y'all doing, welcome to Phơ 24” then you are going to be severely disappointed. 

If you expect to have a perfect subway system, and calm and pleasant driving then you are going are disappointed. If you expect local businesses to be able to deal with you easily when you haven't even bothered to write down or attempt to speak numbers in Vietnamese.  Europeans – this isn't France, Germany or Italy where basic English (or fluency) can get you around without too much trouble. 

If you've come to Vietnam without doing the most basic of research that is open to everyone these days (google) and you get into a cab in Saigon that isn't a MaLinh or VinaSun then frankly you deserve to be ripped off.  If you get in an illegal street cabs in London then you going to be ripped off in a similar way. 
I've lived here for six months now and I've had an overwhelmingly positive experience.  The Vietnamese are extremely friendly and helpful and I've had numerous situations where people have gone out of their way to help me.  My experience was the same from day one and is even more enriched now I can speak some of the language. 

I'll agree that demeanour of some Viets can appear harsh and often the standard face can appear to moody – however this isn't the case and if you even say Hello in Vietnamese then in the majority of situations the person you are interacting with respond positively.

I've ridden a motorbike round Saigon for the last six months without problem (touch wood) and sure there are some idiot drivers, just like every other country in the world) but there is a natural flow and rhythm to the traffic which takes a few days to get used to but then becomes easy to fit in with.  My commute is far superior to old train tube bus routine of last year. 

To my knowledge I've not been ripped off, which admittedly could be because the scam was so good I didn't pick it up, but I've not even come closely to the feeling I've been screwed over.  NOTE TO PEOPLE – overpaying for goods because you are tourist in tourist areas is not being ripped off.  Overpaying because you are culturally uncomfortable or unskilled at negotiating is not being ripped off.  The old adage that something is as valuable as someone is willing to pay for it applies.  Here is a guarantee, if you buy something in Ben Thanh market then you will definitely see it somewhere else cheaper in Vietnam but Ben Thanh is fun! Enjoy it.  Smile laugh and walk away if you don't think you are getting the best price.  There are multiple versions of each stall so shop around and get an idea of limits.

Most weekends I am in and around the central district and vendors and taxi's have numerous options to rip me off, they don't know I speak a bit of Viet, know exactly how much things should cost and know the routes too and from places.  NOTE TO PEOPLE – Saigon has a confusing system of one-way streets, so sometimes your cab will appear to be going a long way round, there is a very small chance it is, but in most cases I say that it isn't.

When eating street food – go somewhere busy, go somewhere that appears clean.  Don't order the cold river fish sorbet (I made that up) and be surprised when you get ill.  Most people on their first trip to Asia will get a dodgy stomach to some extent.  Bear in mind your stomach gets used to its country, when you travel EVERYTHING is different, the water, the beer, the coffee, the food.  It is hardly any doubt that you might get a bit sick. 

OK, I'm boring myself now by ranting.  This country is a wonderful, vibrant, energetic and rewarding place to live, I feel privileged to be a resident of Vietnam and to enjoy its people, culture, culinary joy. Come prepared and expecting something different and come with an open mind and positive attitude and you will be rewarded. 

P.S
One thing that does really annoy me is being beeped by motorbikes when I'm walking on the pavement and they are riding on the pavement.  (Nothing against riding on the pavement, I do it myself) but please don't beep me!

And if you managed to get to the end of this post I say to you

Cám Ơn Rất Nhiều

Hey, I really like your post and I agree with you. I have only been here over a month and I try my best to communicate in Vietnamese and people have been friendly, open, and helpful. Actually, I try not to spend too much time in the touristy areas, but in other districts. I have had so many people come and talk to me which is great because I need as much practice as possible.  I always appreciate the moments of kindness that I receive. I think a smile, an openness to the culture and language can get you really far in Vietnam.

Even though I am a newbie here in HCMC, I am also already tired of people complaining or people who are total a-holes to the locals. Due to this I have been really choosy about who I want to be around.

jamesquanhai very nice words and true ( i am not in Viet Nam yet but hope to be there august/september ) i have been there 3 times and love the place, i canot stand people who go to Viet Nam and expect to find there home town!!!!!!!!!! and everyone speaking english.
so i say to you fantastic post and not before time....WELL DONE
thấy bạn sớm....pete

@thereddeluge - I think the complaining is worse when you first arrive.  It's a big deal to move to a new country and you/I would be so excited about getting into the new way of life and all the potential that it brings.  When you first meet someone who has been here a while and is negative about country it can really get you down.  Combined with the patronising responses to your own positivity "Wait till the honeymoon period is over" or "yeah, I was into all that culture stuff when I first got here too, it'll wear off"  The sad fact is that I'm quite used to it now and it doesn't surprise.  It seems you've learnt quickly that some people are best avoided!

@bluecheer - thanks! get over here buddy, it's even better to live than visit!

Thanks for the laugh! Great post!

jamesquanhai wrote:

One thing that does really annoy me is being beeped by motorbikes when I'm walking on the pavement and they are riding on the pavement.  (Nothing against riding on the pavement, I do it myself) but please don't beep me!

"Pavement" = Sidewalk ??

Totally agree with your rant, and have posted similar here in the past.

The good thing is, just wait until you've been here for several years, and have had the opportunity to travel around to other areas/cities in Vietnam. Most other places outside of HCMC - particularly places that do not see a lot of foreigners, are even better than HCMC!

Yes sidewalk is the Americanised English version of the English word pavement ;)

I've managed to get out quite a bit already but soooo much more to do.  There is nothing funnier than speaking a bit of Viet in the countryside and seeing the reaction. 

I'm glad there is many people on here who agree with my sentiments.  I'm sure there some who don't, and I welcome those points of view too!

Ya Ya, Saigonmonkey, like down here in the Delta. You  foreigners stay up there.

Budman1 wrote:

Ya Ya, Saigonmonkey, like down here in the Delta. You  foreigners stay up there.

Sorry Budman - You're too late. The Wild_1 has already shown me all the perks the fair city of Can Tho has to offer, and it'll be hard to keep me away!

Well saigonmonkey just don't bring anybody with you. Keep it a secret.

jamesquanhai good post. Anytime you move to a new country to live a positive attitude is the best way to start.

I think they beep in general to let you know they're going to pass you or let you know their general proximity to you just in case you decide to hang a blind left while walking. People will move over to the right too without much thought to thinkng it's a basketball game and they own this space.

It's not the Western style of beeping where there's lots of anger behind it. But everything else I agree with you. Vietnam is a beautiful country and the people are great.

Hey - no I don't agree.  I'm talking about pavement/sidewalks where there is only room for one person/bike and they want to step into a shop or move sideways so they can get past.  I tend to walk more slowly to make my point!  I appreciate the "hello I'm here beeps" they are pretty essential and if someone overtakes or drives past quickly without doing it it gives me a bit of shock!

Ah I see your point. Was thinking another situation. Isn't there the unwritten rule that bigger object gets right of way? Or if they beep at you again practice your pretend to be angry skills.

Jamesquanhai,

Great post, man!  I wish there are more "expats" like you, as opposed to the clowns, that we have been so accustomed to on here.

Regards,
Howie

Jamesquanhai,

Well said.

Jamesquanhai...thanks for the post. Some people like to play the "aint it just awful game" no matter where they go. I say to them....Life is a dog poop sandwich.....eat it or starve.

Thanks all..

Vnescape - I like that saying.  Anyone know an equivalent phrase in Vietnamese???

jamesquanhai - after living in Phu My Hung all of 2012, had to come back to Australia for a (hopefully) short time - can't wait to get back to Sai Gon again.
The people there are GREAT ! So open and friendly, willing to help, something sadly missing down here. :(

However we do have things like - road rage - drugs - drive-by shootings, drunks brawling in the streets, out of control teenage parties where police get assaulted and neighbouring properties and cars get severely damaged, home invasions, the elderly pensioners getting beaten up and robbed in their own homes. Add to that, ridiculously high prices on just about anything, especially foods and drinks. Plus having to wait days, sometimes weeks to get a tradesman in to fix something - etc, etc, etc ! :(  ( aren't we so lucky ??? :rolleyes: )

My BEAUTIFUL VN LADY WIFE was at me from the first day in Sai Gon - don't wear my watch or any neck jewellery - snatch bandits. Put wallet in front pants pockets only - pick pocket thieves. Cong An will stop you on your bike - never pay more that XXXXX VND for on-the-spot-fine. Happy to say that after a year of living there, nothing at all happened. :cool:

Uyen did get one thing perfectly right, if we ever went shopping for clothes at the markets, I'd just look, then go outside and wait. She'd always come out with whatever we'd been looking at after paying 1/2 to 3/4 of the price the merchants had been telling me what a great deal I was getting. :lol:

To put it bluntly, - I'm 'home-sick' as hell for Sai Gon, the people, the way of life, the energy of the cities life !
Even getting 'turned around' and lost trying to find my way around the streets of Sai Gon on my bike was always more of an adventure than a danger. ;)

Can't wait to get back 'home' again.

My last 2 cents worth - VN Customs - nothing like the 'bad guys' I'd been warned about.
Compared to the polite, efficient way the VN Customs officials at Tan Son Nhut handled things and people, to the way Australia Customs acted when we where leaving Australia - - - well, lets just say I called the Australian Customs officers a bunch of nazi thugs, out aloud, at Perth Airport and other passengers applauded :D )

Great read,
I am coming to live in Vietnam in November and love reading all the discussions on every topic. I have been back and forth from Canada and Vietnam for the last 6  years and everything you have written is true. I agree 100 percent. With a little research and some common sense and maybe a little street smarts, every tourist will have a good positive experience.
Thank you for sharing your thoughts.....

Good post some funny stuff in there and those people who moan and groan about lack of this or that, to them I say it's not your country if you don't like it go home. You have a choice and chose to stay here.

jamesquanhai wrote:

Hey - no I don't agree.  I'm talking about pavement/sidewalks where there is only room for one person/bike and they want to step into a shop or move sideways so they can get past.

jamesquanhai wrote:

I appreciate the "hello I'm here beeps" they are pretty essential

It's the same thing, be it on the road or on the path(pavement\sidewalk) they are letting you know they are there and would like to pass. If you can't move then no big deal. Keep in mind as you move out of the city the distinction between the two is less obvious.

And yes the rules here are generally the bigger you are the bigger your priority, but it's amazing to see a swarm of bikes stopping trucks so they gain right of way :)

Hi,

Please note that off topic posts have been moved.

Thanks
Armand