FBI Back Ground Check?

Well, I'm getting all my paperwork in order to make the move to Cuenca this June, and get my Visa. The last thing I plan to do before I leave the states, is to get my state police back ground check done. I had heard in the past, that it had to be no older than 90 days, and that it had to be issued from the state you have been living in for the last 5 years, and that it must encompass the prior 5 years.
Now the rub: I have an acquaintance that is going through the process right now. She was told that she could sneak through under the old rule, but in the near future, you must have an FBI background check, to include fingerprints.  If this is the case, it will add to the lead time I'll need. Also, this  new information is not recognized by my attorney in Cuenca. Just when you think you are comfortable knowing the requirements, you get Ecuadored!
Anybody going through the process know of this new requirement?
Thanks,
Neil

I just received my residency visa (2 months ago) and I did not need a FBI background check. I turned in a State Police background check (notarized and apostilled).

Thank you,
I appreciate your response. The question I have is, the gal I'm communicating with is going through the process this week. She was told she would get through under the old requirements, but her husband, who is following, will have to go the new route, which is the FBI check.
Did you have to cover a 5 year period for your State check, or did you just do like an open ended one?
Again, I appreciate your response.
Stay Well,
Neil

I don't remember if it was for last 5 years or open-ended, sorry.  I haven't heard about the new requirement for a FBI check yet- are you going to use an attorney or do it yourself? (I used an attorney). They do change the requirements all the time so it doesn't surprise me.

I have an attorney in Cuenca that handled my property purchace. They also specialize in Immigration, so I am using them for that also. I contacted them last week, and they had heard nothing regarding this purported change.
Really seems odd that there is just not a clear cut policy, and that it would be stated somewhere. It seems even the officials aren't always aware of when these policies change. It's just exasperating when you are attempting to get everything squared away before your arrival, and you're never 100% sure you have the right docs. Kind of expensive to have to fly back to the states to get one form.
And the beat goes on.....
Thanks,
Neil

Exactly- I had that problem when they added the apostilled birth certificate requirement (after I had already got all of my paperwork ready)- but I was able to get it from the US while living here. They make changes often-  I have learned the most amount of patience in my life living here  :)

That is the biggest issue I will have to deal with....patience. I fear I lack in that area, greatly. I get bummed here in the states if I have to wait a half hour at the license bureau, which is high speed for anything Ecuador.
I learned a valuable lesson about having an attorney in Ecuador. I had to do a Power of Attorney for my property purchase, as I was going to be out of Ecuador at the closing. When we went to the Notary office, the waiting room was full of locals. My rep from the atty. office went up and spoke to the receptionist, and we went directly in. I felt somewhat guilty, but the locals seemed to accept it as business as usual, as none of them gave me the stink eye. (maybe in their hearts they did ):)
Stay Well,
Neil

Haha- yes, lots of patience here. So when you move here and are having something delivered or workers come to your house, remember that when they say "mañana", it really just means, "not today".

Yes, I've heard that frequently. I just hope that I can get my brain to sloooooow down, and embrace the new lifestyle. I realize in my head that I'm retired, and really have no reason to be impatient, but!...... I have a lifetime of habits and expectations to break.
Wish me luck.
Stay Well,
Neil

I had the FBI provide me a letter prior to coming to Ecuador. Of course since I didnŽt get it apostilled, it was worthless to me. Apparently the State Department does the apostille, and you need to direct the FBI to forward the letter to them. If you get the letter direct from the FBI, you canŽt later send it on to the State Department for an apostille. 

One thing I remember is that it took much longer (a few months I recall) to get the FBI letter than it did the letter from the state police.

Neil,

I have a few questions for you, I live in the US a friend and I are seriously considering on moving to Ecuador just a fast question on the police background check I do not know if you have already moved there if one has a minor dismeanor on a traffice record does that hinder you in any way getting into the country???? We are both US citizens very honest to young to retire in our early 50's and no children and in the Medical profession but cannot find jobs here in the States and the economy is going in debt. We are researching to get out the states and begin a new life for ourselves, can you help with further question's please if you are in Ecuador ?

Kindly,

MB

So Nards,
That is my question. Is the State Police report good enough, or does it need to be the Feds? I got my other stuff Apostilled at the Atty. Gens office here. 5 bucks a document, in and out in a half hour. Pretty sweet. So, I was hoping to get the state police report, and get it Apostilled at the Atty Gens office here. I'm really lucky in that I have an Ecuadorian Consulate like 15 minutes from my house here in Minneapolis. So, once I get all the stuff Apostilled, I'll just run over there and get that letter in Spanish you need to bring. The gal I talked to there said to come in the month before I leave here.
Take Care,
Neil

Goodafternoon,

Trying to reach out to you since I saw you were on line just a fast question if one is a honest US citizen and made 1 traffice misdeameanor, and nothing else everyone in the US has a misdeamnor here not a Felony !! there is a big difference will that hinder one getting in the country to live and work

MB in Dallas TX

ZenSpike,

The state police report was good enough for me for my Visa. I had requested the FBI report as a backup. However, if someone credible gave you the impression that it may change soon, then I would take the steps to prepare for that possibility. At a minimum, I suggest you bring a pair of completed fingerprint cards with you, in case you have to request the letter from the FBI from Cuenca. While I got fingerprints taken here in Cuenca, it is best to avoid.

I have been assured by my attorney in Ecuador that minor traffic infractions and such are not a problem. They also take into consideration on slightly more serious issues, how long ago they occured.
That being said, there is so much misinformation on the web, that I would seriously consider finding an attorney, and presenting your issues to them to get an answer. But, realize this also; Often times you will get conflicting information from some of the not so current attorney's.
You might want to consider contacting the Ecuadorian Consolate also.
But, if only minor traffic infractions, I wouldn't be too concerned.
Good Luck,
Neil

Thanks Nards,
We have a local FBI office here, so I'll call them tomorrow to see what they have to say. If I can just run over to their office and take care of it, that's what I'll go for. I just hate this mailing crap. The other issue of course is the time frame. They say no older than 90 days, and I just abhore relying on Gov't agency's and the postal service for time sensitive issues.
And the beat goes on......

Could someone assist myself on how to contact and Ecuadoran Concrate also how long does it take to apply for ones Visa? A Visa for permanent residency ?

Yeah, the 90 days is a pisser. My police report from Oregon got held up for a month in customs in Guayaquil because the FedEx envelope that my mail forwarding service sent to me had a $10 book of U.S. postage stamps in it. However, I still got it submitted in time.

Congratulations,

How long did it take you from the start to finish to enter Ecuador? May I ask why you chose Ecuador? thank you

With just your Passport, you can enter tomorrow, for 90 days. There is a 90 day availability with just your passport for a period of 365 days. You can get extensions on top of that. All it takes is paperwork and patience, and a few fees!
Neil

mbtomlin,

There is a thread I created that documents my Visa process/experience. You should be able to find it through my profile or doing a search on the forum.

That's what kinda dicks everything up:  the time restraints that are placed on all your paperwork. Plus the fact, none of it is clearly outlined, except the police report, which everyone seems to agree is 90 days.
I hope I have everything lined up before I arrive back in June. Like your horror story of trying to accomplish paperwork in the US from there. What a nightmare! And of course, the costs just go up outrageously. Arrrggghhhh!!
I do have my place all secured at the El Rocio though!
Take Care,
Neil

Knowing what I know now, I wouldnŽt have sweated the details so much. Between tourist visas, student visas, entry visas, I bet I could have stayed for a long time in Ecuador without a residency visa.

Plus, it seems there is a new avenue available for some people with the professional visa. Of course if you went to a small college like I did, it might not show up on their "list".

Neil,

Ok we can do the passport, no problem, I saw your messages you must have patience ok well, at this point in life what is left ? So I must obtain a Visa correct "yes" we are researching and I did get the emial to [email protected] from someones's kind assistance.. You, addressed the infor on getting an Attorney ?? I am single no children not buying any property there will rent an apartment or a room.. My friend and I are REALLY researching for a better way of life than the US its not feesible to live here anymore...

Thank you

MB
The type of Visa you apply for really is determined by your personal set of circumstances. I chose to go with a retirement visa, as I could show in excess of 800.00 a month income, which is the requirement for that type. Although I bought a property that would have put me over the Investment Visa requirement, I didn't want to have my visa tied to a property in case I wanted to sell the property. As Nards noted, there is now a Professinal Visa availabilty. Did you mention you were in the health care field? I would research that if I were in your position. If you can document that you are a certified nurse, I think that could be an avenue for you to explore. I do not know the requirements to get re certified in Ecuador, that is something you would have to explore before you make the move. Perhaps the association you belong to here could help you get that information, or even the Consulate to Ecuador, or the professional nurses association in Ecuador?
Good Luck in your search, and don't get down. It may seem a daunting task at this juncture, but realize ton's of people before you have accomplished it. Time and patience are your best friends in this journey. And also know there are those of us that are in, or have been in, the same boat you find yourself now. It seems we come together to help one another out.
Chin Up!!
Neil

ZenSpike,

I hear stories about expats who have hired attorneys that have their visas waiting for them on entry into the country. CanŽt you send the police report now to your attorney and other documents so that they can process in advance of your entry into the country?

Neil,,

Question, if I may do you have to know Spanish before you enter the country ??? Or can you get by with none ... I appreciate all of your helpful information .

immediate question pls must one know spanish before emtering the country to live or are there people there already speaking some english

That totally depends on where you live. In major cities you'll find many locals who speak at least some English. If you're in a more rural area basic Spanish will make life much less stressful.

Nards Barley wrote:

ZenSpike,

I hear stories about expats who have hired attorneys that have their visas waiting for them on entry into the country. CanŽt you send the police report now to your attorney and other documents so that they can process in advance of your entry into the country?

I had not heard, nor ever even considered that as an option. Sounds like it woud be great. Thanks for the tip, I'll look into it from this end.
Neil

Goodafternoon,

Do you guys live in Cuenca? If you do hae long have you lived there ? Do you like it?
1. Crime?
2. Obtaining a Visa how?
3. How long did it take from start to finish to move there with all paperwork?
4. Jobs?
5. Medical Benefits ?

We are hearing some good and bad about the country not sure if some people are being really honest? or really honest? How far is Cuenca from Quito ? We have done research on international living and what we ready was Ecuador is beautiful and alot of americans are moving there we cannot make in the states. They are saying very positive things !! but then I am hearing some very horror stories ...

Just heard about the FBI criminal background check and went to their local website. Looks like this is the way to go since it would cover all juristictions in the last 5 years, as apposed to going to each state police entity if you lived in more than one state.
I will go to the FBI in May and ask for the Apostille and confirm the validity of using this background check in Ecuador.
I have had the background check with fingerprints before from the state and guess what, they send this info to the FBI anyway.

Carl

Hey Carl,
When you say you just heard about the FBI background check, where did you hear it is required from? The reason I ask is because I'm trying to nail down if it's actually required. It adds a whole new level of hassle to go through with the Feds. Way more time consuming, and complicates the timing.
I have heard that at this time, a 5 years state police report is all that is required.
In my situation, I can jump in the car, run over to BCA to get the state report, and be home in an hour. It does NOT go through the FBI, it is strickly done within the state. I have complete control over the timing, which is extremly relavant to this document. With the Feds, who knows how long it will take? Now I think one of the things that might simplify my situation is the fact that I've lived in my state since birth, less my service period in the Army.
Again, my attorneys say the Fed report is not required, and that the state report is all thats nessesary..
Neil

Neil,

I did a background check with DPS here in TX for my apartment and job. Fingerprints were taken and submitted to the FBI.
I am not taking a chance. I will go the FBI in May and inquire as well as DPS.
The email I received March 7 indicated that the FBI check my be required and that is why I went to their website in Austin to check it out.
Saying so does not make it so, not taking any chances.

Carl

Carl,
Again, I'm confused. Please be patient. When you refer to an email you got on March 7th, who was that from? I'm just attempting to pin point where these statements of requirements come from.
Thanks,
Neil

Neil, Immigration prefers an FBI report but the local police report is accepted.

Edd,
Thanks for the clairification. That seems to makes sense, and also explains the confusion. I think I'll go with my preferred state report, as it is so much easier to control the time frame.
Again,
Thanks

I am now requesting FBI B. G. C  Migration would not accept my state check it noterized and apostilled finger print form 258 request for state department to apostillate, form  1-786 request for credit card pmt. form1-783 application form,  but I dont know where to send this stuff to the FBI office? where? any body know where to send this stuff?

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/crimin … to-the-fbi

And you probably should read the FAQs as well.