Does anyone here live in Cali?

I'll try to set up an "event" here so people can see what is being planned. It would help if people started talking about this more and offering other ideas, dates they can meet, etc. Maybe I can come up with a poll and post it here or at least a link to a poll.

MissExpatCali wrote:

OR any restaurant - my husband and I are foodies and love to try new places.

Yes.  A restaurant, not a mall food court.

There are reasons why Expat meetups in this hemisphere are held in restaurants and not in food courts.

1.  A section of a restaurant -- or in some cases, the whole restaurant -- can be 'roped off' so that the Expat density is not compromised.

2.  In a small meetup such as this one might be, people may not show up at all if it's in a food court .. for fear they won't be able to find the other Expats and could be searching around fruitlessly.

3.  For foodies, food courts typically offer variety, but not high quality in vittles.

cccmedia

Thanks for your thorough feedback, much appreciated!

Hello,
I am in Cali from USA. Central part of city.

Hi, Still trying to get a meeting organized. As soon as a suitable location is found and a date/time that suits most people can be found notices of the meeting details will be sent to all interested people.

Thanks,
Caliray

Hi Amanda

Moved to Cali at the end of last year, but between traveling and just being busy, I haven't really met anyone aside from my colleagues and their family. I'm born in Belgium, but lived a bit all over, including the US. If you feel like meeting up, with or without little one, just message. 

Cheers!

Evi

How spread is this group around Cali? That may help determine the place.
We live near the Via al Mar at the very edge of the 'Oeste' section of the city.
Availability - rather flexible hours. Wed & Fri nights are usually filled, but not always. Out of town til August, but most times after that are good.

Hope this helps. Thanks for taking the lead on this Caliray!

Hi, I live in Cali, but travel in and out often. I hope are enjoying this warm place!

Hi cospina,

Are you interested in being notified should a meeting for members here be scheduled somewhere in Cali in the future?

Regards,

yes please, would love to.
thanks,

Hi CaliRay

Not sure if my friends are members but I'll ask them to sign up. Just got back from almost two months travelling in UK and Medellin!

Speak soon

Thanks. Every bit helps.

Hello,

Great suggestion to set up a get together, where expats can meet up in Cali.

I am in for sure, so keep us posted please.

Thanks

Karim

After some attempts to get something going, it seems there just isn't enough interest to continue.

Hi Willern!
I am moving to Cali some time this year.  My wife has lived in or around Cali all her life.  I will be visiting her in a couple weeks.  We should get together for dinner!  I would love to ask about your experiences in Colombia  :) .
My name is Andrew (1/2 Irish) and my wife is Ana (100% Calena!!).
Write back and I will give you my number.  I mostly use WhatsAp with Ana.
Talk to you soon,
Andrew

Why not get something going with a WhatsApp group.  I would be into a big night out. 

Matthew

Greg here.  Moved to Cali in mid July 2018.  My wife is from Cali.
Semi-retired, working about 3 to 5 hours a day.  And need to learn Spanish.
Living in the south of the city - Cuidad Jardin.  Most of shopping done at Jardin Plaza and UniCenrto.
Would love to do a meet somewhere.

This topic seems to have tapered out about a year before I moved to Cali in July 2018.  Anyone still interested in getting together, if only for a beer or glass of wine at Jardin Plaza or UniCentro?

Hi Greg
We're damn near neighbors!!
I live in Caney.  And I also spend a lot of time in Jardin Plaza, and with a Starbucks there, I'm in heaven.  Even my wife (a Calena) loves Starbucks.
I have been here for more than 2 years and enjoying it but miss the cool  :(

KCM

Since it is my first winter here - more reveling I the cold weather in Virginia while sending pictures of flowers.  Have not been to the Starbucks yet. Wife (Caena) prefers Juan Valdez.

Where are you from in the US?  Me Washington DC suburbs (Northern Va, near Dulles Airport).

Wife tells me Caney is where she tried to get her mother to buy when they were being built. Mother stayed in Santa Elena. (Park with statue of girl & a dog)

kcm210 wrote:

I also spend a lot of time in Jardin Plaza

You know many are now calling it "Jardín Bala" since there have been several shootings and killings there in recent months...be careful!

Wife and I have not heard of any violence at Jardin Plaza?  Examples?

Ghagen281997 wrote:

Wife and I have not heard of any violence at Jardin Plaza?  Examples?

It's on local radio stations as well as in print and on-line.  You can get the Cali newspaper El País on-line at

https://www.elpais.com.co/

...or you can buy it locally.  Today the most-viewed story is of a killing just last night at Jardín Plaza:

"Un hombre murió tras atentado sicarial en parqueadero de un centro comercial en Cali"

https://www.elpais.com.co/judicial/un-h … -cali.html

Although El País does not name the centro comercial I guess because they want to protect Jardín Plaza, it did occur there.  Unfortunately Jardín Plaza now has a history of shootings, which they mention in the story:

"Este hecho ocurrió en el mismo parqueadero del centro comercial donde el 29 de noviembre de 2017 un sicario entró, también a pie, y le disparó varias veces a un comerciante..."

If you search, you can find other mentions in other outlets like Caracol, here talking about the shooting that occurred November 29 last year, and they do mention which centro comercial it occurred in:

http://caracol.com.co/emisora/2017/11/2 … 05698.html

So, this is why many are calling it "Jardín Bala"...

Hi again Greg. I'm actually Canadian, which is why I sometimes miss the cool climate. I could have picked somewhere else (I do like Bogota and Popayan) but the spouse is Calena, so.......
As I said I have been here for a couple of years and am comfortable in many areas of the city, but also am no fool and don't take unnecessary risks. Jardin plaza is like any other mall and it seems the recent murder was somewhat "targeted". I have spent a fair bit of time in El Centro, but obviously there are areas that must be avoided and more care is needed. But that is where the best bargains can be found and it is where I purchase the merchandise for my business.