Leaving for Malta in a couple of months...

My wife and I are taking the plunge! We're heading out in a couple of months.  We're heading to Marsacala first and hope to get a good sense of where we want to settle in a couple of months, as well as sort out our residency.  It's a big step but we'd regret not doing it.  Anyway, these boards and the contributors here have been a great help in informing our decision. No doubt we'll be asking more questions in the coming months.

Excellent, Nothing Ventured and all that.

Everyone is here to help and there are certainly unbiased opinions on here. Just rememebr that everyone has their own opinions of Malta and you will need to judge yourself on how you like it or not.

But we can steer in the right direction

Julian

Thanks again, Julian! I bet we'll be on here asking all sorts so all your experience and support is much appreciated. Cheers!

Summers Hot, Winter as in Jan/Feb/March is cold, it might look all good being 14-18 degrees in the day but nights go to 10 and the humidity makes it very cold... Bring a Hot water Bottle and an Electric blanket ;)

We live not far from Marsascala and I teach Diving there its a lovely area.

J.

Haha thanks for the tip with the hot water bottle! That's definitely something we'd have forgotten.  The area sounds just like what we're looking for.  We can't wait!  We might do some diving too when we're there.  You'll have to let us know the good spots.  Cheers!

enjoy....

Hi,

Same area we are hoping to settle in too also in a couple of months.

Julian, did not know you taught diving in Marsacala, can you recommend a school down there? quite fancy taken my DM now.

Ken

Marsaskala is great ! :lol:

Good to hear Marsaskala is a good place to be!

Is there anything anyone can recommend around there?

Cheers!

bh73 wrote:

There are lots of things to recommend ... what especially are you looking for?
btw, now that I'm working in the "busy city" ;) I'm so glad every day after work when returning back home to the South.

matm911 wrote:
bh73 wrote:

There are lots of things to recommend ... what especially are you looking for?
btw, now that I'm working in the "busy city" ;) I'm so glad every day after work when returning back home to the South.

Thanks for the response matm911, it's really appreciated we were thinking of beaches and landscapes?  Good places to see, you know?

We're not certain on where we hope to settle yet but I'm just curious too about the employment opportunities there and in the area. Is there much out there in bar, hotel, waiting etc work?

Also what's you're general opinion of the area?

Sorry to jump on you like this with these questions but as you can imagine it is an exciting and nervous time for us.  Thank you for reading and taking the time.

Cheers!

As you know, the right place to live in Malta can be a pretty contentious issue ;)

I like the South because you still have enough "space" to live, the lifestyle is not exaggerated and the area is not tsunamied during summer by tourists - but exactly these might be the major cons for many other people :lol:

The best is to come here and find out which location fits most to your expectations.

The job situation for foreigners is not so good here, especially if you are looking for a job in the tourism/hospitality sector ... but it's not impossible :)
As mentioned many many times before, do not expect to come to Malta and find a job within 1 or 2 months ...

Although we like this area here very much we will not rule out to move somewhere else ... someday ... if this would be more convenient, then ;)

Markus

Thanks for taking the time to reply Markus, you're insight is appreciated.  We had seem bits and pieces of the other towns/cities in Malta but thought they looked too busy for us.  We like the quiet life too though I know that might be difficult to balance with job opportunities.  I guess it just comes down to throwing ourselves in there and doing it!

We've got lots to sort out, arrange and make sense of!

Thank you again for your help!

bh73 wrote:

though I know that might be difficult to balance with job opportunities.

Again, it (all) depends - and distances are relative in Malta ;)
e.g. it takes me about 20mins from M'skala to Msida/Gzira/Sliema area by scooter, about 30-40mins by car and about 1 hour or more by bus.
The same time you also need to commute from Zebugg, Mosta or Naxxar to the "city".

Thanks again Markus, that's interesting and doesn't sound too bad as I've commuted to jobs 2 hours away before.  That was a bit too much but anything under it seems okay to me.  Cheers!