Return ticket after 90 days

As a Swiss Citizen I can visit Colombia for max. 90 days without needing a visa.

I already booked a ticket from the beginning of April until mid August, so I will stay in Colombia for about three months and a half. The idea is that once I'm in the country I will ask for an extension to my stay.

My question is if it would be an issue to enter the country with a return ticket after 90 days?
Would it be a problem when passing the immigration/passport control?

Thank you for your help.

Hello MatthiasD.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

Aurélie

When you enter the country, they ask you how long you are staying. I've never been asked to show a return ticket, but they do want to know the number of days you'll be in the country so you would need to tell them 3.5 months (longer than you're allowed stay). You can tell them you plan to file for an extension. I am guessing they'd allow you to enter but I really don't know -- I'd check with your nearest Colombian embassy/consulate. Just fyi, there is a cost to extend your stay beyond the 90 days, I'm not sure how much, but you could ask that too. It is an easy process, however, although I've not done it myself.

Hi 

well I recommend to not have problems, telling that, the ticket could be changed if the case to leave before. or the other option if they ask about the return ticket, you can tell they that you will be backpacking through Colombia.

I hope this is not dishonest, just have to prove you have enough money to pay for your stay in the country, there should be no problems

best regards

Jo.