Anyone from Mauritius?

Hi there,

I am a South African National currently living in Johannesburg. I am a teacher at a Primary School where I teach Social Sciences and Life Orientation. I completed a post-graduate honours degree in Psychology in 2009 as well as a diploma in Education and a diploma in Psychological Testing. I am currently researching Mauritius as my husband has been offered a job there starting September'13; however I need to find a job there first before I can join him. We have only been married a short while and the thought of him living in another country than me kills me. I have no idea how to start! Or whether my qualifications will be recognized in Mauritius. I have been so stressed about this.

Any advise?

Regards Liane#SA#

Hello Liane#SA#.

Welcome to Expat.com! :)

So as to make it more visible, your post has been moved to the Mauritius forum.

Hope you'll get some responses soon.

Thank you,
Aurélie

Hello Liane,
I wish you a great welcome to Mauritius (in advance).
It is not difficult to find a job, given the qualifications you have. But it all depends in which region are you going to stay, and for how long.
Try to search the vacancies websites for Mauritius, I am sure you will find something suitable for you. If you plan on staying here for a short period of time (say 1 year or 2 years), you can then advert for tuition for secondary school students in Psychology and other related subjects- it is pretty much in demand.
You may also contact private colleges or primary schools (English-Speaking, of course) and offer your services: there are many of the likes across the island.

Best of luck!

Vedna.

Have you been to Mauritius before. If not, perhaps you should go see the place first, go for a holiday. Don't stay at those fancy hotels. Stay near your husbands new work area and then make your move > cost of living is a bit lower than in Johannesburg (maybe you don't have to work in Mauritius .Would'nt that be nice lol)

Vedna wrote:

It is not difficult to find a job, given the qualifications you have. But it all depends in which region are you going to stay, and for how long.

It's stupid to give such answer, when you dondn't know the conditions a foreigner have to fulfill for be allow to work in Mauritius

Liane, if your husband have an occupation or a workpermit , you can get a dependent permit and stay. But you will not be allow to work