Thinking of moving to Bahrain, can anybody help???

Hello,

I am currently thinking of moving to Bahrain but just wondering on living standards for my family. I'm married with a daughter of one?? What area's are best to look out for??  Living costs etc. Also is Bahrain a pet friendly place or not??

I work for a major oil company in the uk in engineering projects, was thinking of possibly working in Saudi?? Can anybody help with companies, recruitment companies, job offers, etc etc???
How long would it take to get accross the causeway??

All advice and information gratefully received.

Toby

Toby,

I have lived in Bahrain for almost 2 years.  It is very family friendly and is also pet-friendly.  Although several people have dogs, there are no real decent pet stores to buy food.  There is a vet, Dr Nonie Coutts who will handle the import permit for your animal.

I am American, but I would say a majority of expats here are from the UK/Europe.  The areas where most expats live is Sar/Janabiya/Budaiya.  I live in Jasra/Hamala where the British School of Bahrain is, there are several expat families in this area as well.

My husband works in Saudi and commutes to Bahrain daily.  I cannot help much with job offers or companies, but it certainly is possible to work in Saudi and live in Bahrain.  The commute across the causeway is 30-40 minutes each way.

I do not know how the cost of living compares to UK, the groceries here are quite expensive, but many UK brands are available.  The average rental price for a house is 1300-2000 BD per month (not sure how many pounds that is). 

For a family I would recommend living on a compound, a gated community with neighbors and a pool/playground.  These are easy to find here and you don't feel so isolated living in a stand alone villa.

I find it very easy to live here as an expat.

Hope that helps!

Amy

Amy,
          Thanks very much for your information. It has been very useful, I've had a look at a few of the places you've mentioned, got a rough idea of prices etc. I'm over in Bahrain very shortly so I'll take a look around, thankyou.

If anybody else has any more information, it willbe gratefully received.

Does anybody know of any recruitment companies in the oil industry for Saudi ?????

How much does it cost getting across the causeway???

Stuart

Sirena,

Thanks very much for that. It gives me something to look at.

If any body else knows of any recruitment companies for Saudi or Bahrain, please let me know.

Thanks

Stuart

Hello yes all this is possible, it just costs you £3 each time you want to travel over the boarder.  My husband works in Saudi, and comes across twice a week.  Our flat is 500 BD a month.  Its expensive, but everything is done for us.  Bahraini people are very friendly, and go out of their way to please.  I live in Ahoora, very few Brits, but wonderful beach,parks and family area. I have only been here a matter of weeks, I dont know anyone, but some how this doesnt pose a problem.

Lisa

Hi everyone! My names Mehdi and im from Paris.. i want to move also in Bahrein so i want to know people there like that is more easy!! i want to work there so is better to tchek there?? let me know thx!

The Rent Prices for furnished flats are vary and kinda of bit expensive for many people . The average  start from 400BD - 800 BD

I believe you can find good furnished flats in very good location and building for the prices around 500-700 BD

Hi guys, I'm currently in UAE with my husband who is going to move to a job in Saudi but we will live in Bahrain with him commuting every day. Can anyone tell me what we will need to do to get visas to only live in Bahrain. Also easiest places that are nice to make commuting easier - we'll be looking for a villa.

Asalam o Alaikum,
I am Shahid Ikhtiar from Pakistan and I want to move to Bahrain for job. I am Cost Managment Accountant and working in a good national Company.
So could you tell me the degree of acceptance in Bahrain for Pakistanies and What are the chances that I can get a job there in Bahrain?

regards
Shahid