Can i get a visa through a language institute?

My girlfriend and I are planning to live in Spain for a year and based on what I read so far it seems a bit difficult and time consuming to get a visa.  I've heard that getting a visa from a language instute would be possible.  If true, would anybody know of an inexpensive institute ?

What you will need is a formal job offer/contract from an academy, in writing.  They must go through a process where they present your offer to the spanish government, to verify that no other spanish person in the area is available to do the job.  Then you need an FBI background check, notarized by the State Department (called an apostille).  You'll then need a full physical from a doctor, signed.  Then, make an appointment online with you nearest Spanish consulate, and be ready to present these documents with your passport.  Your passport has to be "clean" also. The process can take up to three months.  My wife and I did it, and we are now in Spain.  It was a hassle, but worth it, of course.  Or, you can do what some people do, which is come here as a tourist and never leave!  It's risky, but sort of common.

Doing Business in Spain? Tourism? Studies?

Do you mean as a student or working for an institute.  They are totally different.  The previous answer is for working in Spain though you asked if there was a cheap one.  If you are thinking about taking a course, may be worth getting in touch with the American consulate in Madrid.