Requesting help to assess a job offer

Hello fellow expats,

Having spent a good part of the morning reading this forum / blog I can say I am whole lot more knowledgeable about accommodation / car prices (man! are cars expensive in norway) / general living costs when it comes to Norway. Thankyou all !! :)

Now for the reason I am posting this. I am currently working as an electrical engineer in Singapore and have been offered a position in Norway, not in Oslo, but nearby :) I have been scouring the internet for information but most of it seems outdated. I looked up on payscale and glassdoor with not much luck. I was hoping that I might get some help here. (Incentive: I'll buy drinks for all those who help me :P In norway if I decide to move or else you can have one here on a warm beech in the tropical Singapore :) Flight costs not included :P)

To my questions:
1. How much does a fresh engineering grad usually make? Any non-trivial differences between local / foreign graduates?

2. I have about 4 years of experience in electrical engineering. I understand this question is kinda broad but as a rule of a thumb is an offer of 500k NOK per annum on par with local norwegian salaries for such an experience?

3. I used the online tax calculator and I believe I would be making around 28k per month excluding the tax-deduction for foreigners for the first 2 years. Is my calculation more or less correct?

4. What exactly is holiday pay? My offer letter states 28 days of holiday pay. If I don't take all of 28 days would the rest be encashed? I have researched a lot about this and still standing at square one. Any info will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks to all in advance!!!

Hey,

Buying a drink to somebody here may cost you a lot more than you imagine ...

1) 400-500K, there should be no discrimination between locals and foreigners as long as your diploma is recognized here

2) yes, 500k is a correct salary for your experience

3) this is correct, at the end of the day you make a little more as the December month has a lower tax rate, same for June because of the feriepenger (holiday money), but it's safe to calculate as you have done

4) with 28 days, you have 3 more days than the legal minimum. Holiday pay are vacations. They are paid in a lump sum in Norway in June and you don't get paid when you take time off (although it depends of your employer, but this is the principle).  If you don't take vacations, some companies may pay them to you but it's not very popular, usually they force you to take them. If they get paid, you will, of course, pay taxes on them