American trying to move to Norway

I am currently living in the united states,I am trying to move to Norway as soon as possible.I have the funds,education and capabilities to succeed in another country.I am also in a relationship with a woman in bergen.

I am asking how hard it is to get accepted(passport,visa.job,citizenship etc)

Please help,from what ive been reading and seeing on forums this isnt the easiest place to move to.

Welcome to Expat.com robbelanger!

Wish you Good Luck,
Harmonie.

http://www.udi.no/ is a good place to start. You can find info about all the different visas. They seem to be having some issues with the English version at the moment though (I got a runtime error when I selected it from the dropdown list). Nice opportunity to get started on your Norwegian reading skills, I guess.

Norwegian citizenship rules require that you give up your other nationality, and like most country's naturalization rules, it takes a certain amount of time as a resident to qualify (presuming you don't get married or have ancestral ties to the country). You can read more in English here until the udi works in English again:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwegian_nationality_law

Udi and the embassy aren't much help,they will give you 90 to live there and then want you to leave if you they won't grant you a work permit.

well, I'm not sure how you plan to move to Norway without dealing with the immigration directorate. Those kinds of institutions are a necessary evil if you're trying to move to the EEA countries on an American passport.

I guess what I'm tryin to ask is what would prohibit me or "reject" me from living I'm Norway?

there are quite a few threads here about the frustrations of trying to break into the Norwegian job market, learn the language, and make Nowregian friends that might be useful to read.

from a logistical perspective, it is indeed UDI that would reject you, since they're the immigration directorate.

*disclaimer* I do not yet live in Norway but have been working with Norwegians and in Norway for the past 7 years, have Norwegian friends, friends who have moved to Norway from other countries, and am planning my own move there at the moment.

I just don't want to get turned down,I'm planning my future there and would be miserable if it didn't  work because the government wouldn't want me there,I have a girlfriend in Bergen and am leaving my job an friends to start a life in Norway.

The only thing that will lead to you, as an economic migrant from a rich western country, from being denied a residency permit and work visa is if you are a burden on the state.  That's the main focus.  The government (and indeed, most people) don't want people coming here and sucking money out of the funds that they haven't contributed to.  If you get a job within your 90 days, they're not going to reject you, they'll just force you through the same soul-destorying bureaucracy that the rest of us have gone through ;)

You and your partner need to meet the subsistence requirements. As sctld said, if you have enough money or are working and contributing, they are unlikely to reject you.

I haven't worked since moving to Norway, but was quickly granted residency as I started a family here and my Norwegian partner earns enough for the both of us.

Most people I know who have struggled are younger and not established in their careers with insufficient income to support an immigrant partner.

For those who are highly skilled, educated, willing to learn the language, who have somewhere to live and an employed Norwegian partner. The UDI are fine to deal with.

You will have to deal with the UDI and follow their rules. If you don't meet their conditions, you won't be granted residency here.

@ZombieTron, one thing to keep in mind is that your movement is much simpler than moving as an American. Given the udi rules, if the OP hasn't lived with this Norwegian woman, he's not going to qualify for family reunification, which means the next most likely will be as a worker or a student.

Given he says he's got the education already, the most likely visa would be a work visa, which means finding a job that'll sponsor you. That's why I recommended reading some of those job hunting threads here.