About to Move to Israel!

Hi & Shalom everyone,

I am about to leave New Zealand in a couple of weeks time to move to Israel to be with my Fiancee.

Does anyone have any tips or advice for me?

My fiancee is Jewish (I am not) so we have an appointment with the Ministry of the Interior a few days after I arrive to apply for a work visa. I am fairly confident that I have all the necessary documentation required but only time will tell.

I only speak English but intend to learn Hebrew asap!

Would love any advice you have to share on any topic! Be it getting a visa, getting a job, the language barrier (until I learn Hebrew), culture shock, fitting in, and also any laws or rules that I should be aware of that I might not expect?

Toda!

Welcome to Expat.com alana.js!

Hope that other members will share their experience soon.;)

Harmonie.

Thanks Harmonie!

The best piece of advice I can give you is; take all with a grain of salt, don't expect anything and the unexpected will happen and then positively surprise you. Don't take anything too personal, strangers will give you advice, tell you what to do or not do, and they mean well, even if the advice may sound crazy to you at times :-). Don't be afraid to ask every single question that pops into your mind. learn to see the positive more than anything negative, and enjoy the multi-cultural life in Israel. You will learn the language quickly, speak as soon as you can put 2 words together, and don't worry about making mistakes. You are going to live in a country that makes loads of mistakes on a daily base :-).We've all been there at one point. You'll be fine.

Although Hebrew is not an easy language, you are lucky, because most Israelis speak English.  It's never easy to assimilate into any foreign culture- but Israelis are very warm people, welcoming and when they say ' no problem' it's true - it will not be a problem.  Read allot about the country before you come out, and I am sure you'll love it. Good Luck!!