New Life in Sri Lanka

We are a UK couple moving to Sri Lanka (Kalpitiya) next week. Any advice or guidance on anything near these parts greatly accepted!

As for viasa'a..if we enter on a visit visa is it ok to transfer this to a work residency visa later. Are there any issues for us working in SL?

Kind regards

See you soon for an Arack!!

Andre

Hi Andre

I was near Kalpitiya for a while - Norochcholai . What do you need to know about it?

With regards to visas, I am starting to look into this and I am pretty sure that you have to be out of the country when applying for work visas. Not sure you can transfer but then sometimes in some countries anything is possible if you speak to the right people and spend hrs at the consulate!! One thing is that you have to have a work visa to do any work there - above board anyway.

I would love to know more about this too - as I find out I will let you know - or else hopefully other people with more knowledge/experience will post on here!!

Caroline

Thanks Caroline, we have some work lined up and the guy says he may be able to apply for work visa's once we get there. He advised us to get a visit visa and say that we may be getting some work once there. I believe that a visit visa ETA takes 2/3 days and we are due to fly ourt Sat 9th so will be getting it sorted tomorrow.
Hopefully it will work out?

I did visit Thelawile in sept so know a little bit. What was your trip there for ? Holiday or business?

Kind regards

Andre

Sounds like a quick turnaround but it will all work out I am sure.

Re visit visa - that sounds feasible. I will look into that myself as not really looked at that option.

I was there staying with friends who had a place there and spending time in Colombo sizing it up for a new business! I decided it was a city I wanted to live in quite quickly so I have come home to get started on the move..just want to make sure all paperwork is in place as I would not like to be kicked out with so many plans in store!!

It is a great great country - the people are very lovely. Be aware though the Kalpitiya is not geared up for tourism - yet - and therefore I found that there is still a lot of curiosity around non-sri lankans. Be mindful of the customs and take all the usual precautions - esp for females..

I travelled alone all the time and I was never bothered - except for some stares that turned very quickly into smiles as soon as I showed them a smile! Beware the buses to and from Colombo though - they are LETHALLY fast!!! A law unto themselves...The train from Puttalam is a nice journey though if you wanted to go to Colombo on safer transport!!

Have fun - very jealous. Beautiful country and lovely people :)

Caroline

Hi Andre

I am a Maldivian student residing in Colombo .. I would love to help out with anything I can, If my study schedule allows me..

I am not sure about work resident visa but visit visa can be changed to other types of resident visas without having to fly out of the country.. ( visas like student resident ,, guardian resident )

Thanks

Adeel

Thanks Adeel, I shall see what crops up and get in touch.

Kind regards

Andre

Dear Andre,
I dont have much experianse on kalpitiya side, but can help if you come galle. in which feild u looking for to work? 
lashanga.