English cable tv?

I'm sure this has been asked before but I couldn't find it in the forums - what's the best cable tv company for English speaking channels? Most interested in kids and documentary types.

There are no Cable TV providers in Bahrain but there is a satellite subscription service called OSN. They have various packages you can pick and choose from. They also have plenty of HD channels. Please note for you to be able to subscribe to OSN, you or your husband needs to have the CPR issued.

If you haven't rented a place yet, OSN could be a good bargaining tool. Most landlords are willing to pay for these "little" extras to have a reliable tenant - so always ask for it. Sometimes the building owner will say they have Dreambox - it's not the same thing. Push for OSN.

Thanks for that, will have to wait for the CPR.

Dont bother!!  Its expensive and pretty rubbish really.  We just use the "free channels" - some English channels and the cartoons are in English and Arabic - great way for the kids to start picking up the language.  You can buy heaps of films and tv series from the lovely DVD places for 1bd a shot and if you have good internet you can watch BBC Iplayer etc if you know how :)

Or you can watch tv at https://www.filmon.com/#BBC-One

If you want to use BBC iPlayer, iTV Player, 4oD etc (these are all UK channels), you will need to connect to the Internet and use VPN. There are number of VPN providers you can buy access for. I'm sure you have similiar channels broadcasting online in Australia, so you can use the same VPN for it. Just ensure the VPN you get has servers in Australia. What the VPN will do is to trick the recipient server (in your case this will be the TV channel's website) think that you are connecting to the Intenet from Australia. For licensing regulations and agreements between TV channels and content providers, most TV channels will not allow you to watch the TV online if you are not visiting their website from Australia, so VPN will do the trick. For about 40-50BD per year, you can get a decent VPN access.

brightonguy wrote:

If you want to use BBC iPlayer, iTV Player, 4oD etc (these are all UK channels), you will need to connect to the Internet and use VPN. There are number of VPN providers you can buy access for. I'm sure you have similiar channels broadcasting online in Australia, so you can use the same VPN for it. Just ensure the VPN you get has servers in Australia. What the VPN will do is to trick the recipient server (in your case this will be the TV channel's website) think that you are connecting to the Intenet from Australia. For licensing regulations and agreements between TV channels and content providers, most TV channels will not allow you to watch the TV online if you are not visiting their website from Australia, so VPN will do the trick. For about 40-50BD per year, you can get a decent VPN access.

I have one that works a treat for free :)

Inbox me if you want the details.

Filmon works anyway and you get free tv. Just connect laptop or pc to the tv and enjoy. If you want to record the channels then you pay a little bit for download space

You all are so tech savvy, I have lots to learn. My husband set the region on my laptop so I could watch some shows from home - is that the same thing?

On some VPNs, you set the country you want to route your traffic from. He might have just done that. Ask him if he has installed VPN.

Can you forward me the name of the free VPN?  Thank you we are just setting our house up and we don't have our CPR cards yet. 

Amber

Ooooh me too please Brighton guy I was told to just google one but I'm worried il choose a dodgy one and end up with viruses etc I'm not a comp whizz :( thanks :)

You can use Hotspot shield. I think that's free but with full of ads. I would go for something a bit more expensive but much more reliable, such as Hidemyass VPN Pro

Josnuggles please send me the free VPN :)