Am I Crazy ?

Well the subject got your attention anyhow. :)

Sorry this is another one of those "thinking of buying an Apartment" threads. But I really would appreciate ANY little nugget of advice you could help me with.

I am European but live in the US (work) but I love the idea of going to other countries to clear my mind,soul and just relax and get out of the rat race we tend to live in here in NYC. I have visited Santo Domingo several times and I have to say I love it. The simplicity of life is beautiful. The people I met are so beautiful inside and out, I just love the lifestyle down there. The great part of it, its only a 4 hour flight from NYC, so I can be there every weekend if I would like to. I am also looking at some places in Europe too but it appears I will be in the US for at least another 20 years so I am leaning more towards The Dominican Republic for my retreat home. I have some questions, if you can help with some answers it would be great. If not, well thank you for taking the time out to check if I was crazy or not :)

So what am I 'Ideally looking for"? Please note these are not must haves, but it would be nice if some of them were there.

I would love to live in Santo Domingo. Close enough to the Colonial Zone but a quiet place at night time and early mornings.

1 or 2 Bed Apt
1 or 2 Bathroom
Good size living area.
Balcony or a large window to let the breeze in.
Close enough to walk to the beach (I am not a sun worshiper, I just like walking on the beach at night or early morning)
IDEALLY a pool. This would be an AMAZING PLUS
A safe area where walking at night time wouldn't be a look over your shoulder time. I know I live in NYC, thats why I need to leave this city a lot
A supermarket with a good fresh selection of foods is a necessity.
Eventually I would like to buy a Get around car so a parking spot too would be nice.

I know this sound like I am looking for a lot but honestly I am pretty simple when it boils down to it.

Obviously price would be always a consideration, I have to remember this is a getaway home. I have a good job, but I also have a mortgage to pay elsewhere So I have to be smart too. Having said that, I have no idea what to expect with pricing with my requests, so good people of expats , please give me some idea ? a high and a low would be great.

If anyone can recommend a good realtor that is fluent in English, can advise me on Solicitors and legalities for buying in DR this would also be great.

Finally I was wondering, is there a good bank I can work with to secure a loan ?

Thank you ALL so much for reading my post. I really do appreciate any suggestions, comments, idea, information, web addresses I can check out , local contacts you might have for me.

Kind Regards

Anthony

Hi and welcome to Expat.com Anthony!

Have you already tried posting an advert in the Dominican Republic housing section?
It might help!

Good luck
Armand

I only know the north coast and sold real estate here for 6 years.  But I do not that getting a loan here is very difficult, time consuming and rates are much  higher that what  you are seeing in the states.
Most of our clients seccured financing back home (personal loans, second mortgages and such) or did strictly a cash deal
Good luck on your search

Bob K

Thanks Rob, good advice. I probably will self fund the property. Just thought I might see better rates over there. - Thanks Anthony

Armand, Thank you. I will post there now. Appreciate your help. - Thanks Anthony

Hi there!
Well, if you want quiet in the morning & evening
I would move to the North Coast, anywhere.
1-2 BR Apts with pool start around 30,000 US.
With fees starting at 90.00/month.
No taxes apply, yet.
SD is fine if you like lots of people & parties
24/7. Not to forget the crazy drivers!
Good luck!
Tomas.

Thanks for that insight Tomas. What location do you recommend in the north?

Thanks again

Anthony

Well Anthony, that all depends what you want.
Sousa for the party life.
Puerto Plata for a bit quieter, but lots of parties too.
Cabarete for the younger set with lots of parties!
Cabrera for a laid back little town with many
great rastaurants & reasonable priced casas.
You really should just travel around like
I did for 5-7 years looking for what you want.
Whatever it is, The Dominican has it!
Tomas.

In order to understand an area and test to see if it is quiet - you need to be there. You need to go see the apartment in the morning, in the afternoon, in the evening and for sure late at night and early morning.  YOu need to go there on various days of the week but especially the weekends!

Anyone suggesting one large area is quiet over another  may  or may not know what they are speaking about.  I know entire neighborhoods that are NOISY with  the exception of one block. I know other areas where it is only noise on Friday and Saturday nights............ 

Noise is very much a part of the culture here.  You will need to do your homework to find an area that will work for you!  Based on your needs list above,  this will be challenging depending on your budget. 

As for Santo Domingo,   when you say walk the beach - do you mean walk along the Malecon??? There really  is no beach. 

The Colonial Zone is  a good reasonably safe area for expats due to the police presence almost 24 hours a day!   Apartments in and around there are expensive but you may find what you are looking for.  There are several building /communities that have pools!  There are 2 I know of on 19 de marzo, close to the Malecon. 

Here is a fully bilingual American /DOminican lawyer who can help you out Wilson Rood -  [email protected]   His office is in the Colonial Zone as well. 

Good luck!

Good Morning

I lived in the capital, Puerto Plata and Sosua know.
But nothing compares to Punta Cana and security this would be the best option as it is the part of the country to safety in this story better.

Here there are many residential, you will feel like a quiet motana what they are. Nature is in all directions at that look, and beaches are within two or three minutes.
I recommend Cocotal golf course has for residents. Also a good choice would Villas Bavaro and Punta Cana villages.
Below I leave 3 pages in which you can focus, are written in English and Spanish.
Good luck and I'm sure will be a very good choice to live in the DR.

http://www.solmecrealty.com/gb/http://www.puntacanalife.com/http://www.drliferealestate.com/?gclid= … Ogod-jcAkQ