Any advice on Packing List for an expat on a year-long gig ?

What's most desired/needed item on an island that first comers often forget, aside from the usual travel pack items (as in sun block, etc..) ?   There is much information on this forum, but I could not find any references to an ideal packing list for an expat on a temporary gig.

I am trying to visualize what my day to day life will be as a dive instructor working at a resort and pack appropriately.  Obviously, I will have all my professional gear as well as usual travel pack, but since I've never been to an Atoll in Maldives, I could use an advice or two on what additional “luxury” item(s) that could come in handy for a year long gig.

An advice from someone who is currently doing, or has done, such a gig would be much appreciated (what to bring - both on professional as well as non-professional items)

Thank you.

BRING LOADS OF MUSIC, MOVIES, i pod, runing shoes if you may want to keep fit... casual wear is a must.. you will not need a lot of official wears.. tuxedo etc.... in maldives....

Thanks Mooch!

i read many of your posts - very helpful.
thank you again for taking time to help.

Hello DustyShoes
I'm myself a diving instructor working in the Maldives for a few years now.
On a resort, you will definitely need the items mooch talked about before. If you are a reader, books or kindle will help.

Flip flops for sure, a pair of running shoes if there is a staff gym or if you can go to the guests gym and if you are planning to use it (not every resort and company have the same policy about using the different amenities available such as the gym, the bar, the restaurant or the spa.)
Casual clothes are ok, but if you are going to a 5 star resort and are allowed to go to the bar and restaurant, bring something a bit less casual than quick dry short and coton shirt.
Nice linen pants and shirt (short sleaves) will do the trick, if not with crazy motives on it :-)

If your company is providing a uniform, you will not need that many clothes, however, the policy for the laundry and the personal clothes is not the same everywhere.
On one place I could drop it whenever I wanted and pick up a few days later, and had washing mashines available.
Another place, I could drop my personal laundry only one time a week, between 18:00 and 20:00 (not kidding) and if you don't, you wait until the week after (and no washing machines were available).
A 3rd place was with washing mashine, and you could drop 20 pieces of personnal clothes per month at the laundry.

Usually no issue with the uniforms. You can drop it and pick it up everyday.

Sun cream is not available everywhere, better bring some with you (and the sun can be nasty over here, specially if you spend time at the surface with a DSD for exemple ^_^)

Depending of the brand you have for your diving equipment, but I would anyway recommend to take some spare parts with you; you will not be able to go to Male often if ever, and not every brand is available (Mares -Go Dive Shop-, Aqualung -Dive Gear Shop- and Scubapro -MA Services Shop- are ok, however, if the exact part you need is not available at the time, the time of ordering it for the shop and the time of shipping can take ages. Ordering it from the net can have its surprises: loooooooots of time + the nice surprise of custom taxes.)

Bring your full set of equipment, including torch and teaching slates.
If you can change the battery of your diving computer yourself, bring some with you. (a Suunto shop is available in Male, Reefside).
You will not need anything thicker than 3mm as a wetsuit if you wear any (I dive with a shorty 3mm all year round, and sometimes I add a 2mm shirt under).
Tanks (mostly alluminium 11.1L or 80 cubic feet) are usually with inserts, so DIN or INT reg are no problem to use.

Otherwise, anything you REALLY like to eat and is transportable, bring it with you ^_^

A basic pharmacie can be good as well (depending of customs when you arrive, and depending what medecine you bring, better to have a prescription for it.)like good ear drops in case of ear infection for example.

Hope that helps
Enjoy the beautiful diving in Maldives!

Thank you, Thank you LaMissJude, you're awesome!

Hi Dusty,

Small piece of advice, bring loads of toiletries good quality ones at a reasonable price are extremely hard to find. As mentioned before bring a pair or two of flip flops I find leather best they don't damage ur feet as much... Do some research on the island u working on to get more info on which facilities u can and can't use I think that would make packing choices a lot easier!! If ure a chocolate fan try squeeze some in as its soooo nice to come home to your favorite chocolate if nothing else (: Camera is a must cos even though pictures don't do justice to the sights in the Maldives it's still important to have memories!

Good luck and wish you all the best in paradise

thank you candzigrl =)

trying hard to pack all that I need, want within the allowed limit...
its hard

see you on the other side!