American Expat in Saudi thinking about a holiday in Istanbul!!

Hi, Folks!

I'm single and have been living/working in KSA for 6 months. I am planning some much needed R&R (well, I don't exactly want to rest--I want to sight-see, drink lots of wine, eat lots of good food, go to the cinema and maybe a club or two for live music--in other words, everything I can't do here in Saudi lol).

I'm thinking about the beginning of May.  Is this a good time of year, weatherwise? Also, any suggestion for a hotel/B&B?  I'm far from rich, just want something safe, clean, comfy and hopefully with a roof-top view of the sea :)

Thanks and best regards to all!

Come ON, you people!!!  Give me some advice !!!!!!!!!

;)

You can find hotels in Sultanahmet district for every budget. And sultanahmet area is safer beacause it is a touristic area so police is more careful. I think May is a good time for weather. there will be a nice weather for travelling and walking. maybe second half of May is better, for not arainy day. Of course, weather may be different than I said here.
turkish food is fascinating, eat different turkish food here as much as you can :)

Hi Allie

We always stay at Side Hotel and Pension in Sultanahmet. (They have a website) You get pension prices but lovely rooms and a mix of backpackers and regular hotel guests. Whilst there are no sea views from the rooms the rooftop breakfast area overlooks the minarets of the blue mosque. You are literally a 2 minute walk from the mosque, Topkapi Palace, Aya Sofya. The metro tram takes a few minutes to get to Beyoglu / Istiklal for nightlife (a lovely walk across Galata bridge in the daytime) and taxis are also really cheap. Istanbul street food is the yummy way forward for someone on a budget!

Thanks, Neo and JayP!

So will it be okay if I'm a single woman traveling alone (I can never seem to round up anybody who wants to go where I want to go lol). 

What would you suggest for night?  I don't want to sit in my hotel room but I don't relish unwanted attention at a pub, either.

Hmmm,

Not sure on that one really. We're a couple so I've never had the 'lone female traveller' experience. The thing with Turkey is, the people are a curious bunch and love to come and speak to you - only you can decide if this is general curiosity or, well, something else. I'd say the safest option is to spend your first night in some of the bars/restaurants around Sultanahmet - there are a lot of backpackers in this area - or maybe go to a show. There's a great outdoor restaurant right behind Sultanahmet Camii (the blue mosque) that plays live Turkish music. As Istanbul is European Capital of Culture this year, there may be some events that you can attend in the evening.

That said, Taksim and Istiklal are fantastic at night - but I have never been alone.

By the way, we've been to Istanbul in May in the past and the weather was okay. Good sightseeing weather.

I've probably not helped much there have I? You need some lone female Istanbul dwellers to reply to you. I'm sure there must be some on Expat.com somewhere?!

JayP,

Your suggestions have been great and I thank you for your help!

Now .. where are those 'lone female Istanbul dwellers' ?!?  Come onnnnnnnn.. help me out here! :)

There are so many good places around Taksim area,you just have to call and make reservations,that's all you need bro :)

'bro'?  I've said several times I am a SINGLE WOMAN.

Make reservations for what? Dinner?  I have no problem eating dinner alone.  What I was asking for were things to do in the evening.  Can't sit in a restaurant all night :P

Sorry if I was cantankerous, Angelus.  I'm sure you were trying to be helpful :)

Hi Alliecat

I am from Istanbul and would like to give you some insight about my city.

Is it safe to go to Istanbul alone, well yes and no as you might say for any other big city. If I were you I would still go visit Istanbul :-)

I can recommend coupld of hotels if I know your budget. There is good hotels in Sultanahmet area which is in the middle of the History, some of my friends had stayed in a 3 star hotel and it was very nice.

Food, well you wont have any problem :-) Turkish cuisine is so wide that you will be surprised, also you will find a lot of restaurant that serve other cuisines.

Clubs, well, you should be careful since you will be alone so I wouldnt recommend Taksim area although there are nice clubs that you can check out, but especially the parallel streets to Istiklal street might be quite dangerous late night. But I highly recommend 360 in Istiklal and Babylon.

Oh, you should definately see Reina or Laila as well, they are located next to the Bosphorus bridge where you can see other continent which is Asia :-)

But, Beginning May is a bit early, the weather will be pleasant but not hot. I would recommend End May or Beg June, so that summer will start and I am sure it will be more enjoyable.

If you need further information you can send me a message.

Jda