House sitting

When you leave your home for more than a day, is a house sitter needed for security?

If that were the case, no one would buy in the country. As with all questions, I think you have to qualify it. Where is the property located?  What kind of building? Stand alone home, rural, high rise building?
My situation is a condo,in a city, in a secure building with cameras, and an on site 24 hour guard. I chose that type of property because I want to be able to travel in the country, and also visit the US., and feel as secure as I can.
It's all about peace of mind. That's why I made my decision. Of course, any property, and any security system, can be defeated. If I had a property that was isolated, I wouldn't feel safe leaving it un attended, but then, neither would I in the US.
Although I strongly agree with being aware of security, and taking all precautions available, you can't be paralyzed by it.
Wish you the best in your journey.
Neil

We live in a gated building and leave for weeks at a time without worry. If you are in a house that's a whole different story.

Thanks. Do you hear of the need for house-sitting for houses? I don't mean for palatial estates secluded in the countryside, but houses not in gated communities. I'm sure all expats do not live in gated communities.
I know folks in Mexico and Costa Rica who hire sitters every time they are away for more than a day. They also worry about their houses when they go away for an afternoon.

My thinking is that houses are in fact pretty suseptable to burglary. You don't see many stand alone homes with out security bars.... there's a reason for that.
So, you might want to invest in a good local security agency to look over your property, and make recommendations. Might be cheaper to install a good security system than hiring a sitter everytime you leave the house?
Guess in the end, you'll just have to determine what you are most comfortable with.
Good Luck
Neil

If you live in a building or a condo you don't have to wory about security.
If you live in a house is a different history. Most of the houses in Ecuador has iron bars on windows, doors and even electrified wire around the walls.

You can get a decent alarm system for $300 and for $20 extra someone will check is the alarm goes on.

Vinny

Grácias, Vicente

We live outside the city. Not gated, but everyone has electric fencing, or stick you in the butt spikes on top of the fences. One of the good things is that in our little place of about 40 units, everyone is watching each others place. We speak very little Spanish and have communicated very well with everyone. They ring our bell if one of the dogs gets locked out of our little yard. We have a homeade bridge that crosses the Machangra river and about a hundred locals cross here daily. They bring their livestock back and forth too. They all wave. Very friendly people in Patamarca, about 2 miles above the Industrial area. Of course there are some surly looking people around occasionally. But if they break in when we are traveling, they aint gonna get too much. And it took 3 of us to get the King Size bed upstairs. I bet that wont be on their truck!

how much do you pay for your condo? thank you