I got an offer as language teacher. please help me decide...

Dear friends in Ryadh,

I am Spanish male and I am now making arrangements to come to Ryadh to work as an instructor of Spanish language.
They don't offer me a palce to stay, and I have to look for something on my own.
I should be there by the end of next August 2013 and i want to knwo if you could give me your opinion about the offer I got.

10000SR month salary + 500SR monthly for transportation plus 17000SR to cover the accomodation for one year.

What do you think about this? I am afraid that the salary is not that good and that i wont be able to find a nice place to live in and save money.

I would appreciate if you could tell me briefly about life in Ryadh and if, in your opinion the salary that they are offering me, is enough to live there and save some money. How much could I save out of my salary if I spend a normal quiet life there?
I have also been told that I may not be allowed to go out of the country , or that I have to ask for permission if I want to travel in the weekend to another country for example, , this really concerns me.... is it true?

Best regards,

You have answered all your queries precisely !! Good Luck :)

Which city in Saudi you will be teaching in ?

hi douglas,
i will be in Ryadh

Hello saimans,

What do u mean by " you have answered all your queries" ?
I dont understand what u mean.
In your opinion , is it a bad offer?

rougex wrote:

Hello saimans,

What do u mean by " you have answered all your queries" ?
I dont understand what u mean.
In your opinion , is it a bad offer?

Hi Rougex,

I would just suggest read various topics on the forum on salary subject or cost of living at Riyadh. Most of your queries would be resolved.

Its not that bad offer but its not recommended either. And yes you will be having restriction in moving in and out of the country becoz you will require exit/entry visa for that !!

Good Luck :)

hi .. for rent in a compound the price for one bedroom fully furnished  is  60000 SR

rougex wrote:

10000SR month salary + 500SR monthly for transportation plus 17000SR to cover the accomodation for one year.

What do you think about this? I am afraid that the salary is not that good and that i wont be able to find a nice place to live in and save money.

It's hard to say if that offer is appropriate without knowing your qualifications; salary is contingent on your education level as well as verified relevant experience.  As for your ability to save money, that's something you'll need to determine based on variables such as the amount of money you expect to put into savings each month, your level of lifestyle/material needs, and how well you budget.

well I have a Master, obtained last year, so they say they cannot add a plus for teaching experience prior to the Master degree.. I have 3 years experience in teaching at Univ and 3 years at secondary. but they wouldnt take it into account.

anyone knows how complicated it is to quit once there? in case I dont't adapt to the situation or the work conditions are not as i have been told...

Mohammed 123 wrote:

hi .. for rent in a compound the price for one bedroom fully furnished  is  60000 SR

Hi mohammed,

it is so expensive then.. my salary will not allow me to live in a compound....

Hi Rougex

Don't live in a compound if you want to save money. Living costs are reasonable in the city and it depends on your own expenses.

I suggest that you spend the first year and see the situation. If it is suitable for you , then consider staying another year.

Consider the first year as a vacation , and it is so easy, if you do not like it , just quit..

rougex wrote:

well I have a Master, obtained last year, so they say they cannot add a plus for teaching experience prior to the Master degree.. I have 3 years experience in teaching at Univ and 3 years at secondary. but they wouldnt take it into account.

anyone knows how complicated it is to quit once there? in case I dont't adapt to the situation or the work conditions are not as i have been told...

When I saw your lukewarm salary, I suspected that was the case. Many job applicants are shocked (and disappointed) to find out employers will only count post-degree teaching experience.  And that's just for experience that's been verified in writing.   

As for quitting, be aware that you're on a 90-day probation once you arrive in country.  However, you'll be responsible for paying back certain employer-covered costs, such as the housing and furniture allowances, which are allocated as a lump sum up front.  Plus, you'll have spent your own money toward your employment visa (e.g., the lab tests, med exam, and degree authentication) in addition to the fee for your iqama.  So leaving can be quite costly.  Check the employer's policies about terminating your contract.

Frankly, women---especially those of us from western countries---usually have a tougher time adapting to life/work in the Kingdom compared to men.  But we manage.  You know yourself, so it's really up to you to do your research about KSA and to determine if you've made a sound choice.  If not, cut your losses soon and start looking for a teaching position where you'll have minimal stress both on and off work.