Does anyone work for Al Khaleej Training and Education???

hi - how is it going at al khaleej training - i have an offer and am considering it - any advice? thx, c

I'm wondering if you got any responses to your post and how you are doing with your placement. I am applying with the same company and would like more information.

I am in the initial interview stages with this company and am becoming a little worried after reading all of these posts!

I have applied for a math teaching position in Saudi Arabia.  I have already had a phone interview and will be having a second some time next week.  I don't know where in SA the job will be or the name of the school.  I found the ad on Craigslist.  I was wondering how you all heard about teaching for this company "Al Khaleej."

I'm very excited but also a little afraid.  If I am hired, I'll be leaving in just a couple of weeks.  Since this is coming up so quickly, I'm trying to do as much research as possible.

Are there any particular organizations to watch out for?

Thank you,
Jenna

jennasix wrote:

I'm very excited but also a little afraid.  If I am hired, I'll be leaving in just a couple of weeks.  Since this is coming up so quickly, I'm trying to do as much research as possible.

Well, you should be apprehensive about working for an outfit like Al Khaleej.  If you have a teaching license from the US, try Teachaway for jobs in the region, including UAE opportunities.

Eyes wide open!!!! Better to be apprehensive.

jennasix wrote:

I have applied for a math teaching position in Saudi Arabia.  I have already had a phone interview and will be having a second some time next week.  I don't know where in SA the job will be or the name of the school.  I found the ad on Craigslist.  I was wondering how you all heard about teaching for this company "Al Khaleej."

Thank you,
Jenna

Let's see, you're waiting on a second interview.  They then decide if they want to hire you.  If so, they send you a contract for you to read and consider, print out, sign, scan and email back. This by itself will take a week or two. THEN the real process begins: the medicals; documents attested;  official transcripts; background check.  Those things take time--and then, there's the issuance of the visa.

There is NO WAY you will be 'leaving in just a couple of weeks.'  If you're lucky, it will be a couple of months (but probably double that).

jennasix,
I'm in the same position as you. I just got an employment offer with a contract that they want me to sign. It's tempting because it's the only job offer I have actually received. I'm new to the TESOL field and have minimal experience.
I'm not comfortable with the fact that they don't specify where I would be teaching. I don't want to be in a big city trying to navigate my way around and find my own place to live. A university compound situation would feel more secure.
The worst part is reading all these posts here where people are not saying much of anything good about the company. There are several posts where people are indication bad experiences but don't come right out and say exactly what they are talking about.
It's very scary to think that they take your passport. The recruiter's information comes right out and says that you will not be able to leave the country until/unless your "sponsor" gives you permission. Maybe I'm just a big chicken but I'm having second thoughts about accepting the offer.

did you accept the offer? What happens next?

L Shepherd Anderson wrote:

did you accept the offer? What happens next?

She didn't get an offer.  According to her post, there is an upcoming second interview.

That question was actually intended for "coehlcke" (a different post)

Alliecat, are you working for Al Khaleej?
My offer, which I received yesterday, specifies a start date of Aug 19. Doesn't sound like that is actually possible, does it?

Any advice?
[email protected]

Alliecat, are you working for Al Khaleej?
My offer, which I received yesterday, specifies a start date of Aug 19. Doesn't sound like that is actually possible, does it?

Any advice?
[email protected]

Hi, L Shepherd Anderson :)  No, I don't work for them.  There are a 1001 recruiters for Saudi Arabia, all trying to grab their piece of the pie.  Some are better than others, as you'll see by reading this forum and also the discussions at the teachers' forum at Dave's ESL Cafe.

Have you begun gathering any of the information/documents needed for the visa?

No, I haven't accepted the offer yet, and don't know what needs to be gathered for the visa.

Here's some information:

http://blog.teacherport.com/tag/visa-pr … di-arabia/

But surprisingly, this website doesn't include everything.  You also have to be fingerprinted  and get police clearance in your home country.  You also have to have (at least I did) a letter from your last employer, stating when you worked for them and freeing you from any obligations (!).

Also, where I work in KSA, they had their OWN list of things I had to get done!!

It was a lengthy, step-by-step process that I never really felt was going to end lol

Don't let that push you to sign if you are not 100% set. I made that mistake on my previous contract, for very similar reasons, and I was played like a fiddle. Sign when you are happy.

Been offered a job by these guys but they're not telling me what school I'm going to. The recruitment agency signs all the email sent to me: "deployment team."
Just checking - Does this company actually exist - and isn't a visa scam?

d4donte: Maybe I'm easily convinced, but I think the company really exists based mainly on what I've read here. My email containing my employment offer letter was signed "deployment team" too, which is a little odd now that you mention it. I ended up declining the offer--I didn't like the fact that they do not tell you exactly where you will be teaching/living. Plus a few contributors here talk about being left in a hotel room without knowing when someone will come back to get you and move you to your teaching location. Also, the info from the recruiter talks about the women wearing the black clothes and scarf when "in public." I know a women who lived in Saudi Arabia for 25 years who says American women are not required to wear that--must wear 3/4 length sleeves etc. And..the recruiter's info says the company does not take your passport but that your sponsor (company) must give you permission to leave the country. Scary--like being a prisoner, in my opinion--contributors to this blog indicate that they DO take your passport. Either way, once you are there, you can't leave unless/until they say you can leave, which, it sounds like is a country/government thing not something specific to this company.
I don't know, too many unknowns for me. What do you think you'll do?

LS Anderson, I don't know what I'm doing. I've accepted the job offer but I'm continuing to interview for jobs in China which is my first choice because I speak Mandarin. I'm really confused but it's an opportunity to experience a different part of the world. I know that if I don't take this job I won't ever be visiting this part of the world ever. Closest I've been to the middle east is Istanbul. It's also an opportunity to save some money and an opportunity to write. What I've read on this thread has lowered my expectations considerably so that'll help. I'm going to look into the leaving the country permission thing with the American embassy.

d4donte:
checking with the American embassy is a great idea! Can you do that before leaving the U.S? I would be interested in hearing what you learn. I have applied with other companies for Saudi teaching opportunities but haven't heard back from one of them. Going to that part of the world would be such a great experience, I agree. And as you said, a chance to earn/save money, not to mention the experience for the resume!! I guess I'm just afraid of the unknown elements with this particular company. Have you applied to Edwin? I'm waiting to hear from them. I already have been turned down by Auckland UniServices because I don't have much experience.
If you don't mind me asking, how much experience do you have? what was your offer from this co? They offered me $3000

I don't have much experience either. They offered me the same amount. I'm in London now and will check with the American embassy tomorrow.

wow, why are you in London? Are you headed to your placement with Al Khaleej?

you can email me if you prefer.
[email protected]

And..the recruiter's info says the company does not take your passport but that your sponsor (company) must give you permission to leave the country. Scary--like being a prisoner, in my opinion--contributors to this blog indicate that they DO take your passport. Either way, once you are there, you can't leave unless/until they say you can leave, which, it sounds like is a country/government thing not something specific to this company.

If you hold an iqama (residence permit), then yes, in order to leave you'll need authorization from the entity sponsoring you.  In fact, your sponsor is responsible for submiting your exit or exit/reentry visa application to the government's passport control division.

I've never had problems getting an exit visa authorized by my employer. I simply provide my paperwork to HR, and 4-5 business days later, they notify me that my visa is ready for pick up. Quick and painless and no questions asked.  Moreover, no need to turn in my passport or iqama.  However, I'm a direct-hire with a university, so I'm immune to the nonsense many contracting companies put their teachers through.

Visiting London.

Visa processing costs close to $1000 and the company doesn't cover it. They only cover $200. So what happens if they don't give you a contract. I remain unconvinced. I'm going to the RSA embassy to check up on this company before I spend a red cent on visa processing. Especially since they refer you to a visa agent.

Be skeptical, be very skeptical. Be suspicious, be very suspicious!

d4donte wrote:

Visa processing costs close to $1000 and the company doesn't cover it. They only cover $200. So what happens if they don't give you a contract. I remain unconvinced. I'm going to the RSA embassy to check up on this company before I spend a red cent on visa processing. Especially since they refer you to a visa agent.

I'm not sure why you believe the embassy has a list of Saudi companies.  It's not the Better Business Bureau of foreign companies; that's not an embassy's function.  Anyway, AETG has been around for some time---they're not a scam, they're just sketchy.  Besides, this is standard practice for contracting companies, although some reimburse more of the visa costs. 

Frankly, if you feel that dealing with this company is a major hassle and doesn't sit well in your stomach, then back away from the whole thing and apply with one of the other sketchy contracting companies.

Try Dave's ESL Cafe's Saudi job discussion forum for info on AETG and others of their ilk.

smurfette:
rather puzzling that you now seem to be sort of defending the company being discussed here when a few days ago you said this:

"Well, you should be apprehensive about working for an outfit like Al Khaleej."

I don't think anyone has really implied that there is a "scam" going on, rather just attempting to confirm some legitimacy-- but your use of the word "sketchy" is almost equally concerning.

there seem to be a lot of implications being made without any real information provided.

for those of us who are new to this type of "adventure" some friendly advice would be appreciated. some of us are quickly willing to admit we don't really know what we are doing or much of anything about what we may be getting into--implying that we are ignorant (which in a sense we are), is not the kind of helpful advice anyone is looking for.

smurfette:
rather puzzling that you now seem to be sort of defending the company being discussed here when a few days ago you said this:

"Well, you should be apprehensive about working for an outfit like Al Khaleej."

I don't think anyone has really implied that there is a "scam" going on, rather just attempting to confirm some legitimacy-- but your use of the word "sketchy" is almost equally concerning.

there seem to be a lot of implications being made without any real information provided.

for those of us who are new to this type of "adventure" some friendly advice would be appreciated. some of us are quickly willing to admit we don't really know what we are doing or much of anything about what we may be getting into--implying that we are ignorant (which in a sense we are), is not the kind of helpful advice anyone is looking for.

I'm not sure how telling another poster to be on his/her guard about Al Khaleej is the same as defending or advocating for these companies (and that includes AETG, EdEx, etc.).  I was responding to d4donte's question: "Does this company actually exist - and isn't a visa scam?" 

Both Alliecat and I have referred posters on this thread to the Saudi job discussion forum on Dave's ESL Cafe; there's plenty of "real" info and personal accounts about these contracting companies from teachers who work or have previously worked for them (and that includes several of my friends).  We pointed you to a resource that would be helpful to you in making an informed decision about working for these companies---the good, the bad, and the ugly.  Probably not the kind of "adventure" you envision.  Regardless, it seems you haven't taken time to check the forum out and post your own specific questions about Al Khaleej.

By the way, by no means did I imply anyone on this thread was ignorant; that's a gross misinterpretation on your part and is further from the truth.  Anyway, do you want friendly advice or realistic advice?  If the former, then it's best to just skip over my comments as frivolous and mean-spirited.

Lastly, be aware it's illegal to withhold an employee's passport without his/her permission.

Hi Heidi

I hope things are better for you now in Saudi.

I wonder how you are getting on with Al Khaleej. I have just received an offer from them!

They seem to need people in Tabuk... do they just place with universities?

Any guidance would be received gratefully because I need to decide within 2 days...

Do all teachers have co-workers or assistants? I am concerned about the workload...

All the best

Phil

Hi Phil,

Welcome to Expat-Blog :D

Feel free to start a new topic on the Riyadh Forum with all your questions please ;)

Thank you

Maximilien
Expat-blog Team

Anyway, AETG has been around for some time---they're not a scam, they're just sketchy.

I'm not sure how telling another poster to be on his/her guard about Al Khaleej is the same as defending or advocating for these companies (and that includes AETG, EdEx, etc.)

We all agree companies don't operate like western companies do, but 'sketchy'?  Putting AETG in the same bag as EdEx?  :)

The major problems with AETG were real, or sometimes imagined, but the worst have been fixed after staffing changes a while back now.  Note the dates on the real complaints online.  They certainly can't be called 'sketchy' anymore and represent a fair option for working here in KSA.  It's not like many people are here for multiple contracts, lengthy periods, the work and wage here is a means to an end for most tutors.

Hi - I have a contract with Al Khaleej (coming soon) and want to ask you all a couple of questions.

1. Holidays - since i want to get back to Europe whenever possible - see family, how feasible is this - when are the big breaks? I understand there are 3 weeks vacation in jan-feb and then in the summer. But are we allowed to just take off from june or july? since we only have 30 days total vacation. Any practical experience would help a lot. thanks.

2. Dangers. Avoiding getting into trouble. Having heard about small misunderstandings or verbal encounters ending up with the police being involved, how likely is it that we ESL teachers end up in prison. Sounds a bit of a joke question i know, but even so, would not like to rub someone up the wrong way, which does happen occasionally in London for example.

Thanks for all comments.

waltzingmatilda wrote:

2. Dangers. Avoiding getting into trouble. Having heard about small misunderstandings or verbal encounters ending up with the police being involved, how likely is it that we ESL teachers end up in prison. Sounds a bit of a joke question i know, but even so, would not like to rub someone up the wrong way, which does happen occasionally in London for example.

0.0001%

Hi again - when the contract says 30 calender days, i.e. 4 weeks 2 days, this really is not a lot. In your experience, is it fairly easy to take extra vacation - without pay presumably?

thanks

waltzingmatilda wrote:

Hi again - when the contract says 30 calender days, i.e. 4 weeks 2 days, this really is not a lot. In your experience, is it fairly easy to take extra vacation - without pay presumably?

thanks

I'm not sure that you realize it but when weekend days fall within the vacation period, they count as vacation days.  I found that out the hard way and couldn't believe it--certainly not the way it is done in the USA and HR didn't bother to tell me.

I don't know about your job, but at mine it is a major production to get time off without pay.

Good luck.

Hey, can any of you guys get into contact with me? I am about to start working with Al Khaleej, and I would like to talk to some former or current employees (or even someone who knows one). My name is Joey and my email is [email protected]
Please send me an email, anyone who sees this. Thanks a lot.

Hello,

I know this response is late for the original poster. But, I currently work for Al-Khaleej Education and Training and do not recommend this company to women especially married women. I say this because I am one of many women recruited for this company and promised that once I received my Iqama, I would be able to bring my family over -- do I have to say that this was a huge lie?!

I also experienced pretty significant pay irregularities. The company illegally deducted three days from me that I actually worked and flat-out refused to reimburse me for. I am owed 1050 SAR. Plus, for Summer School we were offered work schedules that included overtime. I personally worked 32 hours overtime but was paid for exactly 0 (zero) hours. They have even refused to reimburse me 25 SAR for a family visit visa application I submitted.

So, I understand that Al Khaleej is supposed to be better than most companies here in Saudi Arabia but they are not great. They expect you to work and work and work and get paid at some later date. So far from the time frame in which you worked that you won't realize that you have not been paid what they owe you. Also, if the recruiter told you that you can bring your family and your spouse does not also work for Al Khaleej you can forget it if you are a woman. They will tell you that a woman has to have a Masters degree in order to bring their husband and children here, but that is an our right lie. The Istiqdam documents do not require a woman to have a masters, but you have to jump thru more hoops to prove your husband is your husband, and you will pay 2000 SAR just to submit the form. Al Khaleej has to give you a letter with the appropriate stamps to attest that you are truly gainfully employed. That's it. All of the fees are on you, all of the translation of your forms into Arabic is also on you.

In my opinion, if you can find another employer run with all due haste. But if you cannot get everything Al Khaleej promises you in writing. Because Waleed Abdullah, Director of English, is a professional liar. Hassan Mohammed Badruddin his boss is weak and does not want to deal with anything and will just fire you if you have legitimate complaints about abuses by his subordinates.

[moderated]

rashida1970 wrote:

Hello,

I know this response is late for the original poster. But, I currently work for Al-Khaleej Education and Training and do not recommend this company to women especially married women. I say this because I am one of many women recruited for this company and promised that once I received my Iqama, I would be able to bring my family over -- do I have to say that this was a huge lie?!

I also experienced pretty significant pay irregularities. The company illegally deducted three days from me that I actually worked and flat-out refused to reimburse me for. I am owed 1050 SAR. Plus, for Summer School we were offered work schedules that included overtime. I personally worked 32 hours overtime but was paid for exactly 0 (zero) hours. They have even refused to reimburse me 25 SAR for a family visit visa application I submitted.

So, I understand that Al Khaleej is supposed to be better than most companies here in Saudi Arabia but they are not great. They expect you to work and work and work and get paid at some later date. So far from the time frame in which you worked that you won't realize that you have not been paid what they owe you. Also, if the recruiter told you that you can bring your family and your spouse does not also work for Al Khaleej you can forget it if you are a woman. They will tell you that a woman has to have a Masters degree in order to bring their husband and children here, but that is an our right lie. The Istiqdam documents do not require a woman to have a masters, but you have to jump thru more hoops to prove your husband is your husband, and you will pay 2000 SAR just to submit the form. Al Khaleej has to give you a letter with the appropriate stamps to attest that you are truly gainfully employed. That's it. All of the fees are on you, all of the translation of your forms into Arabic is also on you.

In my opinion, if you can find another employer run with all due haste. But if you cannot get everything Al Khaleej promises you in writing. Because Waleed Abdullah, Director of English, is a professional liar. Hassan Mohammed Badruddin his boss is weak and does not want to deal with anything and will just fire you if you have legitimate complaints about abuses by his subordinates.

Thanks for the updated information.