Residence Permit Document...Student arriving in Malta

Hi to all,

i have a few questions considering the residence permit document. I went through the relevant topics here but i must say is a mess. Some topics are out-dated and few other topics are full of so many contradicting responses and full of personal inputs. So, i decided to ask directly here and see what i can get.

I am starting my full time studies at the Uni of Malta on September 2013. I am EU citizen and i am planning to arrive to Malta earlier. To be more specific on 16th of April so i can find get used to the island and find a job.

1.From the things i read here in order to find a job i will need to have a residence permit document...Correct?

2.I also read here in order to apply for the residence permit document i will have to send an email and ask for an appointment. However, i read that this procedure takes so long and the appointment might many months later...Correct?

3. If it takes so long to get an appointment would be a wise thing to send an email now asking for an appointment even though i arrive in Malta on April 16th?

4.Let's say that i arrive in Malta and i find a job first...They give me a contract in order to have my residence documents fixed but then if the procedure takes forever what do i have to do?

5.I read somewhere else something about IN? Insurance Number or something like that. I read somewhere that i can apply for that insurance number and that would be enough to get a seasonal job.
Is it possible...?

Well, i know i came up with so many questions and i would be highly thankful to the ones,(if there is going to be any, who will reply to my topic.

Thank you all...

getting an NI /SSC number is easy - you dont need an id card - a passport and a accom lease rental agreement is sufficent to issue one.

many jobs here are seasonal and low paid and are often offered as cash in hand and as such are offered "off the books" - i dont condone it but it happens

there seems to be some random appointment dates being offered at the moment one minute someone gets May, the next day another person gets November and the day after another person gets April...so it cant really be guessed.

you could always ask for a selection of dates if possible and see what happens

Hi DudelnNL,

1) Not correct. You can find a job while being a tourist but once you find work you will be resident of course and will apply for residency using your work contract as proof of income. If you are without work after 3 months you would have to register as resident anyway.

2)What you say is correct.

3)Probably wise. If you happen to receive an appointment before you arrive you would have to reschedule.

4) Nothing really ,just wait ! You have a receipt that you applied.

5)You have to apply for and get a National Insurance number if you work. You need health insurance anyway to be resident for study reasons or otherwise.

Cheers
Ricky