Hi All. Moving to Ecuador southern coast in 2 months.

Excited to be moving to Ecuador in the end of April. Still have a million things to do beforehand, but having a great time getting ready. Like the many other moves in my lifetime, I'm winging it with no prior visit. Figure that if I like it (lots of internet research makes me think I will) and can work it out, I'll stay. And if not, I'll buy a small motorcycle and travel from country to country every few months. So much to see, so many people to meet.

Haven't looked into some of the basics, like how to get from the airport in Guayaquil to the southern coast...around Montanita/San Pedro area, and then where to stay (on a budget) while I look for longer term accommodations. Any advice on these (or any other wisdom you'd like to impart) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Brian

To get to Montanita from the Guayaquil airport, you can take a taxi from airport to the bus station ($4 or walk to bus station- it's very close). The Montanita bus is called CLP and it should cost $5.50. It will take 3 hours. You could also take a taxi to Montanita but will cost around $80-$90.
In Montanita I have stayed at Casa del Sol twice; however it cost $25 a night, includes breakfast. You can find much cheaper places though.

Make sure you're familiar with the types of Visas you are able to get- because if you don't get a Visa, you can only stay 90 days per year.
Good luck!

Thanks Amy! I think I'll stick with the bus and save the $80-90 cab fare, to buy a surfboard. I've read a few stories about people getting robbed by thieves working in partnership with cab drivers. How do you tell which cabs are legit...or can you?

The cabs that leave from the airport are supposed to be legit. I've taken them a few times from Guayaquil airport to the bus station with no problems at all.

Cabs are a big concern in Guayaquil and Quito, too.
Notice that many taxis owners drives their taxis like half a day and then, they rented to other people. So you never know if the driver is the owner.
Once you get in a cab and you feel he give you a good service and is safe ask him for his cell phone number and then you can call him anytime you need a service.
Also, before you get in a taxi, look for the plate number and the permit number, usually printed in the door and call some friend or relative and give him the taxi's IDs. This should keep you safe.

Vinny

Thanks Vinny! Sounds like sage advice.

I just received a list of cheap but safe, clean, etc.places to stay from a friend who just bought a house close to where you want to stay. They are from $10-$40. I will be happy to forward it to you if you would give me your email address.

JOYSOUNDS

Hi Brian,

This is MB, currently living in Dallas TX in the US a friend and myself are seriously considering moving to Ecuador we cannot find employement in the US... She has friends going in June of this year touring the country for us can you give any suggestions on living, employment, how to get started ??? in a new country the US is breaking us Financially...

Kindly,

MB

try this

http://www.gringotree.com/cuenca/

Hi Joysounds,

Yes, that would be wonderful. Thank you. I'm at [email protected]

Cheers, Brian

Hi MB,

I'm just kinda winging it myself. If I can't sell my business and come up with enough cash to buy a house and qualify for residency, then I'm just going to become a nomad and wander from country to country. If you want to move to Ecuador in a reasonable and somewhat secure manner, I'm the wrong person to follow. But if you do get to the southern coast (and I've managed to arrive in mostly one piece and haven't wandered off or gotten lost in a jungle), I'll gladly buy you a cold one and swap stories with you.

Cheers, Brian

[Moderated: No free ad on the forum]

Thanks for the very kind offer of a ride, Sparticous. I'll happily accept and will gladly buy you some gas or a beer or both. I like that you've stuck with it for 4 years and have your own business down there. After being my own boss for the past 13 years, I don't know how those people working for someone else, deal with it. Do they have decent auto mechanic tools there or did you have to bring your own?

I am so grateful for this forum.  I am planning a career change and would love to move to Ecuador with my wife and 9 year old son.

Ramon